• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Derek Dorsett to Retire Due to Health Risks

Shane Falco

?The latest evaluation of Derek?s neck revealed that he?s sustained a cervical disc herniation adjacent and separate to his previous fusion,? said Dr. Watkins. ?Given his current condition and the long-term, significant health risks, I advised Derek not to return to play.?

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-confirm-derek-dorsett-wont-return-to-active-roster/wcm/8c9ca984-ef8d-4e59-8a00-a21d21c0813f

Another player forced to retire early.

That's a tuff decision being forced out of something you love. Hard nosed player of the type the NYR could use. Oh yeah. He was once a NYR.

Yeah, he was awesome on the 4th line here.

One question - how does salary work in these situations? He is on a 2,6m contract thru next season, will he still get that when he retires? Im thinking salary here, not the teams cap. If not then that's a lot of money to give up, couldnt he just be put on LTIR and still get the money?

Yes, and thanks for asking, Josh.

As the NHL doesn't seem to be beholden to any of Canada's typically draconian labour safety laws I'm not sure if the Vancouver Canucks would pay in to any of those funds, though. I have to wear safety glasses to walk down the street on a job site, they get to smash each others heads in to the boards. Seems pretty fair. I don't think The Canucks will be filing a claim with the Workers Comp board. If they got docked on lost time injuries like every other business in the country, they wouldn't be able to afford the insurance.

Anybody with a personal income of over 60K, or so, will also pay $3800/year for both your Canadian Pension Plan and Employment Insurance in what is, essentially, outright theft. So he has ATLEAST $1900/Month coming to him for the next year. He's going to be OK.

Yes, and thanks for asking, Josh.

As the NHL doesn't seem to be beholden to any of Canada's typically draconian labour safety laws I'm not sure if the Vancouver Canucks would pay in to any of those funds, though. I have to wear safety glasses to walk down the street on a job site, they get to smash each others heads in to the boards. Seems pretty fair. I don't think The Canucks will be filing a claim with the Workers Comp board. If they got docked on lost time injuries like every other business in the country, they wouldn't be able to afford the insurance.

Anybody with a personal income of over 60K, or so, will also pay $3800/year for both your Canadian Pension Plan and Employment Insurance in what is, essentially, outright theft. So he has ATLEAST $1900/Month coming to him for the next year. He's going to be OK.

I think players have more than just worker's comp insurance. I think they also have contract insurance in case they're forced to retire by injuries or such where the players will get paid remaining amount of their contract

Oh I know they do, I'm just having some fun. I wonder how much Dorsett will enjoy waiting 6 months for an MRI like the rest of us Plebs in Canada, now.

Remember when Dan Blackburn played with two blockers? LOL. The insurance company gave him until a specific date to decide whether he would attempt a full comeback or take the money and retire. Pretty easy choice for Duckin' Danny in the end.

Oh I know they do, I'm just having some fun. I wonder how much Dorsett will enjoy waiting 6 months for an MRI like the rest of us Plebs in Canada, now.

Remember when Dan Blackburn played with two blockers? LOL. The insurance company gave him until a specific date to decide whether he would attempt a full comeback or take the money and retire. Pretty easy choice for Duckin' Danny in the end.

he wont wait that long. I'm sure his insurance company is based out of USA and he'll go to Seattle or somewhere and get it done in a day. Perks of being an NHLer

Archived