Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Games: BFD

Outdoor Games: BFD

When they started this, there was some novelty. Now, ho hum. They engage in this huge build up when they announce the outdoor games like they are establishing a new holiday to rival Christmas. The NHL network shows replays of them all summer, giving them equal status to decisive games in previous Stanley Cup finals. They are just regular season games with two points at stake like any other. http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com...thumbsdown.gif

Senior Member Junior Division
    I agree with your sentiment. The NHL took something that should have been treated as if it was a bowl game and made it into something that no one cares about.

Instead of an ASG, the NHL should have had the whole NHL take off (aside from the two teams playing) and do a week long lead up to it. It's a PERFECT way to market the game to people who don't normally watch. It's a PERFECT way to get to know the players personally. I know the money grab on one of these things it too hard for the buffoons at the top to keep their hands off of but how hard is it to just have ONE outdoor game per year?

The saying "too much of a good thing" exists for a reason.

My feeling is that the "Winter Classic" should be a staple every Jan 1. Put it on National TV at 4pm every year and don't stray. Hell, I don't care if you have to have the same cold weather teams in it. Dallas and Detroit host thanksgiving games every year for the NFL. Make it a tradition.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I agree with your sentiment. The NHL took something that should have been treated as if it was a bowl game and made it into something that no one cares about.

Instead of an ASG, the NHL should have had the whole NHL take off (aside from the two teams playing) and do a week long lead up to it. It's a PERFECT way to market the game to people who don't normally watch. It's a PERFECT way to get to know the players personally. I know the money grab on one of these things it too hard for the buffoons at the top to keep their hands off of but how hard is it to just have ONE outdoor game per year?

The saying "too much of a good thing" exists for a reason.

My feeling is that the "Winter Classic" should be a staple every Jan 1. Put it on National TV at 4pm every year and don't stray. Hell, I don't care if you have to have the same cold weather teams in it. Dallas and Detroit host thanksgiving games every year for the NFL. Make it a tradition.
    This whole post contradicts itself.

Too much of a good thing? There are 40 bowl games. You don't even need to be over .500 to make a bowl, you just have to win 6 games. But they actually do treat it like a major bowl game. The announcements, the jersey releases, the alumni involvement, the pageantry. What else should they do?

And how have they not made it a New Year's tradition?

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    This whole post contradicts itself.

Too much of a good thing? There are 40 bowl games. You don't even need to be over .500 to make a bowl, you just have to win 6 games. But they actually do treat it like a major bowl game. The announcements, the jersey releases, the alumni involvement, the pageantry. What else should they do?

And how have they not made it a New Year's tradition?
    Because there are too many games:

Since the lockout

January 1, 2014 - Winter Classic
    January 25, 2014 - Stadium Series
    January 26, 2014 - Stadium Series
    January 29, 2014 - Stadium Series
    March 1, 2014 - Stadium Series
    March 2, 2014 - Heritage Classic
    January 1, 2015 - Winter Classic
    February 21, 2015 - Stadium Series
    January 1, 2016 - Winter Classic
    February 21, 2016 - Stadium Series
    February 27, 2016 - Stadium Series
    October 23, 2016 - Heritage Classic
    January 1, 2017 - Centennial Classic
    January 2, 2017 - Winter Classic
    February 25, 2017 - Stadium Series
    December 16, 2017 - NHL 100 Classic

16 outdoor games in 4 years. The very definition of too much of a good thing. This list should have 4 games on it.
    Last edited by ThirtyONE; 11-30-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

There number of outdoor games has nothing to do with the fact that the Winter Classic is a New Year's Tradition. The only 2 times it was played on the 2nd were because the 1st was a Sunday. Based on the fact that Centennial Classic played on Sunday Jan 1 only had 1.08 million viewers compared to 2.56 million viewers shows they were both correct for not having the Winter Classic on a Sunday and that the Winter Classic is the highest viewed hockey game.

Link for chart

Outdoor Game Viewers

Don't know how it's too much of a good thing when the outdoor games consistently get more viewers than the indoor ones.

I'm not sure how this graph proves anything. That article is about how ratings are down. Way down. From that same article:

Despite the three-year high, Saturday’s game delivered the fourth-lowest rating and viewership yet for an outdoor game on NBC (15 telecasts dating back to 2008). Five of the bottom six have come in the past two seasons alone.

It also scored the fourth-smallest audience for any primetime NHL game on NBC since the network resumed airing games in 2006 and tied the third-lowest rating.
    The top 8 highest watched outdoor games are Winter Classics. My feeling is that if you do one game a year. You make that a special game. If you do 6 like they did in 2014, it loses it's luster.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    There number of outdoor games has nothing to do with the fact that the Winter Classic is a New Year's Tradition. The only 2 times it was played on the 2nd were because the 1st was a Sunday. Based on the fact that Centennial Classic played on Sunday Jan 1 only had 1.08 million viewers compared to 2.56 million viewers shows they were both correct for not having the Winter Classic on a Sunday and that the Winter Classic is the highest viewed hockey game.

Link for chart

Outdoor Game Viewers

Don't know how it's too much of a good thing when the outdoor games consistently get more viewers than the indoor ones.
    Can you pull ratings for CBS and ABC on those same days?

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I've always complained about the outdoor games. They shouldnt count as real games.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Can you pull ratings for CBS and ABC on those same days?
    The Jan 1 NFL games?

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    January 1st is the biggest bowl day in college football. No one cares about an outdoor hockey game except hockey fans. No one is changing a bowl game to watch the Bruins.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    January 1st is the biggest bowl day in college football. No one cares about an outdoor hockey game except hockey fans. No one is changing a bowl game to watch the Bruins.
    But if we put the PENGUINS on TV...

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    A lot of grumbling about a game or games that are watched by many people and are interesting, at least to me, because they are played outdoors before two or three times the usual number of fans at an arena .

I'm going to Citifield Jan 1 and just bought a 27 McDonagh WC jersey for the game. Looking forward to it, bigtime

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    A lot of grumbling about a game or games that are watched by many people and are interesting, at least to me, because they are played outdoors before two or three times the usual number of fans at an arena .

I'm going to Citifield Jan 1 and just bought a 27 McDonagh WC jersey for the game. Looking forward to it, bigtime
    Way to go @sg3 ... enjoy the crap out of it!
    That’swhatI’mtawkinaboot!
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    There is also a certain amount of ‘local team’ influence going on here too. Do you really care all that much about some of the teams playing? Me thinks not. The novelty for me is overshadowed by knowing its ‘another Rangers game’ v. the venue is what’s making me watch.

Senior Member Mite Division Dr. Jimmy's Avatar
    But they wear $pecial jerseys just for the game......that you can buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jimmy View Post
    But they wear $pecial jerseys just for the game......that you can buy!
    Nice ones too, imho

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Some people are never happy.

I have zero issue with these games. The novelty wore off after the first two, but it's definitely something people are interested in. I'd say the rivalry outdoor games are more of a novelty/ interesting/ cool thing. But Rangers vs Buffalo? At citifield? How the fuck is it not Rangers Islanders?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I have zero issue with these games. The novelty wore off after the first two, but it's definitely something people are interested in. I'd say the rivalry outdoor games are more of a novelty/ interesting/ cool thing. But Rangers vs Buffalo? At citifield? How the fuck is it not Rangers Islanders?
    Sounds like you actually DO have an issue.

I don't have a problem with playing an outdoor game every year, I just don't like hyping it like it's such a big deal and running replays of it as if there were 20 points at stake, not two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast