Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 25 Games In and No Anti-Marc Staal Threads!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    10

    25 Games In and No Anti-Marc Staal Threads!

    Just a passing thought: who would have thought we would be reaching December, 25 games into season, and there would be an active Rangers' board on which no one had yet felt compelled to initiate an anti-Marc Staal thread or even make negative reference to him on another thread?

  2. #2
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,305
    Rep Power
    127
    There hasn't been much to complain about with his game.

    He has his flaws, but he's been decent enough. Playing on the third pair has made his errors less visible. He was probably the Rangers' best defender for the first few weeks of the season...not saying a whole lot, but still.

  3. #3
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,028
    Rep Power
    234
    I want you guys to stay hungry out there!

    All right, nice goin', Banks.
    New Hawks record.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    1,095
    Rep Power
    12
    My biggest problem is he utilizes the same backhand pass out of the defensive zone that leads to turnovers. Other than that, fine on the third pair.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    711
    Rep Power
    22
    5.7 for a 3rd pairing defenseman and we are looking for silver linings?

  6. #6
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,028
    Rep Power
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers4Life View Post
    5.7 for a 3rd pairing defenseman and we are looking for silver linings?
    He's doing more than Girardis dead cap hit.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  7. #7
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    18
    I've come to grips with him after all these years; Basically he's a 6' 5" Carol Vadnais! The biggest "Poke-check" defenseman in the NHL. Vadnais was 2 foot 5" though!

    I'm actually so tired of complaining about Staal on our old forum that I just gave up....and especially after they signed him to that extension! At this point I just watch and hope for the best!

  8. #8
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,305
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers4Life View Post
    5.7 for a 3rd pairing defenseman and we are looking for silver linings?
    Yawn.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Flynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    25
    Smith and Holden have told Staal to hold their beers.

    Much like being in a herd thats chased by a hungry lion, only thing that matters is having at least one guy slower than you.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Smith and Holden have told Staal to hold their beers.

    Much like being in a herd thats chased by a hungry lion, only thing that matters is having at least one guy slower than you.
    I'm sorry, but that line made me spit soda out my nose!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    10
    When I'm watching a game, I often find myself saying out loud "This defensive zone sequence comes courtesy of a [insert name of player] turnover." I only started the thread because it struck me that I haven't been making this announcement with respect to Staal this year. His heavy-handed stressed clearing attempts, often in the form of the ole wind it around the boards, were driving me nuts last year. I think whether they buy him out at the end of the year may turn on how much they want to sign Nash. They don't want to spread the cap hit far into the future, but if they want Nash enough, they will do it to reduce Staal's hit in the short term.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,339
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I'm actually so tired of complaining about Staal on our old forum that I just gave up....and especially after they signed him to that extension! At this point I just watch and hope for the best!
    Glad I saw this explanation post. For a minute there, I thought you might be buying his jersey next.

  13. #13
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,732
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I've come to grips with him after all these years; Basically he's a 6' 5" Carol Vadnais! The biggest "Poke-check" defenseman in the NHL. Vadnais was 2 foot 5" though!

    I'm actually so tired of complaining about Staal on our old forum that I just gave up....and especially after they signed him to that extension! At this point I just watch and hope for the best!
    In his heyday Staal was leveling Ovechkin with some regularity, and Ovechkin was a high-speed high-impact target. He got his brain scrambled in other collisions, and gave it up for the team - and that involved years go recovery on and off the ice.

    If there's a gripe, it's not Staal that the gripe should be with, but with the management folk who gave a defenseman who's had two concussions and declining abilities a long and large extension. Staal served with honor and paid the price physically and mentally. Management on the other hand has screwed the pooch at least a few times with their FA signings, mortgaging of the future and letting folk like Stralman go.

    McDonagh and Nash will be the next test of whether they have learned their lesson.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 11-30-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,339
    Rep Power
    26
    Agree Respect. Giving Staal that contract for past heroics is not a way to leverage for the future, so it begs the question; What was in that cigar anyway?

    In spite of all the anti-Staal sentiment, the guy has out-performed my expectations this year by a wide margin. He no longer looks like he is playing with a walker and he's become 'a little' bit more physical...LITTLE bit I said.
    Last edited by 4EverRangerFrank; 11-30-2017 at 11:25 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Agree Respect. Giving Staal that contract for past heroics is not a way to leverage for the future, so it begs the question; What was in that cigar anyway?

    In spite of all the anti-Staal sentiment, the guy has out-performed my expectations this year by a wide margin. He no longer looks like he is playing with a walker and he's become 'a little' bit more physical...LITTLE bit I said.
    You thought I forgot all those Staal posts, Frank????

    ....nah!! Just going with the sentiment, "If you set your expectations low enough, you can never be disappointed!"

  16. #16
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,339
    Rep Power
    26
    True.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Myusername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,840
    Rep Power
    42
    Still has the worst shot and shot selection in the league, but he's been relatively solid on D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •