Thread: 2017-2018 Season – Better or Worse Than Last?

Senior Member Mite Division jsm7302's Avatar

2017-2018 Season – Better or Worse Than Last?

What a start to the season...I did not think AV saw the light of November but lo and behold here he is and here is a pretty decent team.

I guess the overhaul over the summer took more of a toll than I initially thought it would. We all knew we were super thin down the middle but who would've thought only a couple of wins was in the cards for October. It surely was a horrid start that had majority of people thinking about tearing this thing down to the studs and starting a rebuild; the right way. A couple of win streaks later and this team looks half decent. Pedigree of a low seed playoff team; so whats in the cards for this team? What do you guys think Gorton is thinking? Can our extremely thin middle make it through the season (obviously not now that Nieves is down and out) How do we make this transition year into a successful run? Is it possible without mortgaging the future?

Moderator Junior Division
    The only way that they'll be able to improve center depth without mortgaging the future is to find an expiring contract at the deadline. At that point, they'll know whether or not they're going to be contenders (considering how weak the East is, they will be). A few names...

Tomas Plekanec
    Tyler Bozak
    Mikael Backlund
    Andrew Cogliano

Eric Staal

Senior Member Junior Division
    I don't know how many more times I can shout this to the clouds but: Don't. Trade. Futures.

I still don't believe in this team's make-up or system. It's the same problem from the last few seasons. Soft. Scores only on the rush. Poor center depth.

So, yeah, maybe they'll make the playoffs, but I do not have faith in a long run. The goal should not be to load up for a long run. The goal should be to continue developing young players. The goal should be to load up on picks. I'd gladly trade Nash for a 1st at the deadline, no matter where they are in the standings. Maybe they can surprise and win a round but I don't care about that this year. This draft is supposed to be a good one, the team needs high-end talent.

If we somehow snag two 1sts again this year, we'll really have something to look forward to next season.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Forfeiting playoff opportunities is never a good idea. If you spend all of your time building for the future, the future will never come. No team wins the cup without selling assets at one point or another. You just don't get enough high-level players in the draft to build a contending team that way, exclusively. The Kings, Blackhawks, Penguins, Ducks, Red Wings, Hurricanes, all won cups with players that were acquired for first-rounders. Boston didn't, but they traded #5 overall Phil Kessel. Mark Stuart was Boston's only first-round pick on the opening-night roster the year they won the cup - he was traded with Blake Wheeler near the deadline.

Plus, the draft isn't a guarantee, especially since the Rangers don't draft particularly well. It looks like, for now, other than Shestyorkin, the entire 14 and 15 drafts were whiffs.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Forfeiting playoff opportunities is never a good idea. If you spend all of your time building for the future, the future will never come. No team wins the cup without selling assets at one point or another. You just don't get enough high-level players in the draft to build a contending team that way, exclusively. The Kings, Blackhawks, Penguins, Ducks, Red Wings, Hurricanes, all won cups with players that were acquired for first-rounders. Boston didn't, but they traded #5 overall Phil Kessel. Mark Stuart was Boston's only first-round pick on the opening-night roster the year they won the cup - he was traded with Blake Wheeler near the deadline.

Plus, the draft isn't a guarantee, especially since the Rangers don't draft particularly well. It looks like, for now, other than Shestyorkin, the entire 14 and 15 drafts were whiffs.
    Rangers have spent almost no time building for the future. In fact there may be only one team that has spent less time and that's MTL. Continually plugging holes with stop-gap players and trading picks just makes things worse. 2014 was the Rangers' chance. Management should accept that and should have accepted that instead of trading for Staal a few years ago. They're clearly too good to tank, I understand that. I don't ever actually expect them to tank within my lifetime -- but there is no reason at all to hang on to Rick Nash at the deadline. His 4 points in the playoffs won't be missed. They need to use the assets they have and try to restock the cupboards.

No, the draft isn't a guarantee but that doesn't mean you should scrap it. I could make the same argument against making the playoffs. Nothing is guaranteed.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I don't know how many more times I can shout this to the clouds but: Don't. Trade. Futures.

I still don't believe in this team's make-up or system. It's the same problem from the last few seasons. Soft. Scores only on the rush. Poor center depth.

So, yeah, maybe they'll make the playoffs, but I do not have faith in a long run. The goal should not be to load up for a long run. The goal should be to continue developing young players. The goal should be to load up on picks. I'd gladly trade Nash for a 1st at the deadline, no matter where they are in the standings. Maybe they can surprise and win a round but I don't care about that this year. This draft is supposed to be a good one, the team needs high-end talent.

If we somehow snag two 1sts again this year, we'll really have something to look forward to next season.
    I'm with you on those points above. I feel very much the same way. Even though we've been winning games and playing well of late, I don't see this particular team being a serious contender for the cup. Reason I bolded from your points above.

I also ride with Future in the fact that we've drafted like shit in the past. Albeit both those drafts were a little lighter with talent than this one upcoming.

Hopefully Gorton's prior fails have provided some experience for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Rangers have spent almost no time building for the future.
    This hasn't been true since the lockout. A couple of years without a first doesn't mean they haven't been building for the future, especially when those have been used to bring in players that have stuck around. They had a first-round pick every year from 03-12 and then flipped firsts for MSL, Yandle and Rick Nash. Only MSL was a rental, and even then, he played another season. The other two would have been considered a part of the future. They haven't traded firsts for rentals. The worst trade they made was Ryan Clowe - that's indicative of not worrying about the future but that's really the only time the Rangers have done that in a long time.

Realistically, had they not missed on 5 of 9 1sts from 03-10 (Jessiman, Montoya, Korpikoski, Sanguinetti, McIlrath) and kept Del Zotto, the entire complexion of the team is different. 8 first-round picks from 03-10 and the only regulars today are Staal, Kreider, and DZ. That's abysmal, even if there is an element of luck in the draft.

The team also makes the playoffs every year. You can't be a rebuilder and a contender in a salary cap league - the Rangers actually do a very good job of that, especially considering the fact that Alex Cherepanov died and Mike Sauer's career ended early. It's not like they've traded good young prospects away. Who is the best guy they've lost, Saarela? Duclair? They've drafted shitty players, so there's very little evidence to suggest that having more draft picks will get them as far as they've gotten the last decade or so.

Most teams are not getting consistent winners with picks beyond the top five. The Rangers have had their share of first round busts, but they also have had some great picks not mentioned above, like Skjei, Miller and Buch. I'm not a big fan of sell offs for picks to build for the future. The big 2004 sell off yielded nothing in the end. Having the 4th and 9th overall picks in 1999 did nothing.