• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is the Slap Shot Dead?

I say that I can't read it because I don't have a WSJ subscription lol

But no, I don't think it's dead. It's just not always necessary because new sticks give you so much power with less of a windup.

Sorry about that - I thought it was a free read.

Gist of it was that ?quicker? shots and ?quicker situational? shots have taken over. Also the style of play has changed with guys no longer just manning the points.

I say that I can't read it because I don't have a WSJ subscription lol

But no, I don't think it's dead. It's just not always necessary because new sticks give you so much power with less of a windup.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's all about quick release at the moment. Slap shots take too long to get off and the goalie is able to get in position. I'm curious what the number of slappers there are if you take away the one-timers.

Seems to me that when the announcer says '' a one - timer from the left circle ", blueline, etc. he/she is surely not talking about a wrist shot or a snap shot.

In ice hockey, a one timer is a shot that occurs when a player meets a teammate's pass with an immediate slapshot, without any attempt to control the puck on his stick. An effective one timer requires precise timing on the part of both players involved, especially the shooter. This play often results in a good chance at a goal. A wrist shot can also be done on a one-timer, though the puck is released far slower than a slapshot one-timer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_timer

Well if Wikipedia says so it must be true.

Lol ... And they're little video shoes a one touch, not a wrist shot or a clapper. I mean, you probably see it 20 times a night on highlight reels where they're not slapshots. I can't remember who the Rangers were playing, but that Shatty to Nash goal at home 2 weeks ago is a good example.

Archived