• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Little MSG Help -- On the Glass?

aritifical_intuition

Hey, all:

Long story short, I got pretty lucky and have scored a couple tickets up against the glass for an upcoming game. I'm taking my 8yo boy; a pre-season Rangers game I took him to a few years back inspired him to go from never wanting to skate to having full gear, playing hockey with me coaching. (Good excuse for me to get back on the ice after a long time off.)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any tips to maximize the experience. Specifically...

* How early should we arrive to catch player warm-ups? (I read that sometimes players run around...is it possible to have any interactions?)

* Is there anything we can do to maximize my boy's chances of getting a puck? (Pre-game warm-ups?)

* Is it worth posting up near the glass tunnel for player entrances, which, I assume, would mean we miss the opening lights/show (kind of exciting for a kid)?

Thanks for any tips/insight.

If you don't mind sitting around, go in as early as possible. I think they open the gates 1 hour prior to puck drop, maybe someone else here can confirm that. You'll most likely get a puck just for being so close. The players recognize the kids during warm ups and give out a bunch of pucks. Have fun !

If you are going to watch warmups (which you have to do with the lad), buy some earplugs and wear them in order to have your hearing for the rest of your life

I always enjoyed warmups but now time my arrival for 15 before the hour to enjoy the peace before the laser show storm

I'm not sure they still do this - though I don't see why they wouldn't - but you might want to try to find the player parking garage exit after the game. I happened to stumble across it when I was down there a few years ago and a bunch of players stopped to sign (G, Stralman, Hank off the top of my head). Gaborik peeled out with a car full of chicks lol, but that was a cool experience anyways.

You might need someone with a little better knowledge to tell you where that is though, because we just sort of randomly found it.

I'm not sure they still do this - though I don't see why they wouldn't - but you might want to try to find the player parking garage exit after the game. I happened to stumble across it when I was down there a few years ago and a bunch of players stopped to sign (G, Stralman, Hank off the top of my head). Gaborik peeled out with a car full of chicks lol, but that was a cool experience anyways.

You might need someone with a little better knowledge to tell you where that is though, because we just sort of randomly found it.

Its across from the garage by the steak house. At least that's where it used to be.

Hey, all:

Long story short, I got pretty lucky and have scored a couple tickets up against the glass for an upcoming game. I'm taking my 8yo boy; a pre-season Rangers game I took him to a few years back inspired him to go from never wanting to skate to having full gear, playing hockey with me coaching. (Good excuse for me to get back on the ice after a long time off.)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any tips to maximize the experience. Specifically...

* How early should we arrive to catch player warm-ups? (I read that sometimes players run around...is it possible to have any interactions?)

* Is there anything we can do to maximize my boy's chances of getting a puck? (Pre-game warm-ups?)

* Is it worth posting up near the glass tunnel for player entrances, which, I assume, would mean we miss the opening lights/show (kind of exciting for a kid)?

Thanks for any tips/insight.

I always prefer the player entrance, but he will probably want to watch the warm-ups, more. If thats the case, get there early. Sometimes the crowds develop pretty early during warmups for the same reason - to get a puck! (other times they are dead)

If you are watching warmups, make sure you arent behind the netting! I see newcomers calling for a puck when they are behind the netting.

The ?glass? is the best seat! Been fortunate enough to experience that and a suite on occasion and the ?glass? still wins.

Warm-ups are great and your son will love it. A sign saying, ?My First MSG Game!? will get the players attention and isn?t a blatant ask for a puck.

Post-game autographs are obtainable but you need patience. A couple of guys ?come out the front? stairs from the main lobby leading to 7th Ave. Others will come out of the side exit with a doorman along 33rd. You?ll see other fans hanging out too so head to either spot. Bring a Sharpie and something to sign. (My son brings pucks and silver Sharpies.) Expect to wait at least 40-min before anyone comes out.

This works! We have about 20 signed pucks and a couple of signed jerseys too.

Archived