Thread: Rangers' Big UFA Swings Finally Pay Off With Shattenkirk

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Rangers' Big UFA Swings Finally Pay Off With Shattenkirk

It’s not often a high-profile free agent that the New York Rangers sign comes in and delivers exactly as advertised. After being burned by the likes of Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Wade Redden, and, most recently, Brad Richards, the Rangers took another shot at the big name prize when they signed Kevin Shattenkirk to a four-year, $26.6 million contract this past summer. His mission was to bring his well-documented offensive prowess on the blueline to his hometown of New York and bolster the Blueshirts power play.

Now 17 games into the season, Shattenkirk is beginning to look like the player that Rangers management had hoped for. In the midst of a six-game point scoring streak, Shattenkirk is tied with his former teammate Alex Pietrangelo of the St. Louis Blues for the league lead in scoring among defensemen with 16 points. His production on the power play, to the tune of two goals and six assists—first and third among defensemen, respectively—is a major reason why.

Read more

Junior Member Mite Division Sod16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedForContact View Post
    the likes of Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Wade Redden, and, most recently, Brad Richards

Read more
    There ought to be a macro that also includes Valerie Kominsky, Theo Fluery, Brian Skrudland, Mike Keene, Bobby Holik, Sylvain Lefebvre, Stephan Quintal etc.

BTW, Charlie Mcavoy was fantastic at BU and jumped into his first NHL action last year playing 20 quality minutes per game. He grew up as a huge Rangers fan in Long Beach (Long Island Ranger fans are always the most hearty and defiant). We need to pull a Shattenkirk to get him one day.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    There ought to be a macro that also includes Valerie Kominsky, Theo Fluery, Brian Skrudland, Mike Keene, Bobby Holik, Sylvain Lefebvre, Stephan Quintal etc.

BTW, Charlie Mcavoy was fantastic at BU and jumped into his first NHL action last year playing 20 quality minutes per game. He grew up as a huge Rangers fan in Long Beach (Long Island Ranger fans are always the most hearty and defiant). We need to pull a Shattenkirk to get him one day.
    I didn't want to dwell too much on the past. The Rangers' big free agent splashes have had mixed results, mostly skewing towards poor. But with Shatt, it finally seems like the Rangers got the player they were looking for.

Senior Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post

I cringe reading those names.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Gomez signing was actually pretty fucking awesome.

70 points first year
    58 Points second year
    16 Points in 17 Playoff Games

Flipped for Ryan McDonaugh

How does it get any better?

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

70 points first year
    58 Points second year

I agree just on the flip for McDonaugh
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Senior Member Squirt Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Shatty is delivering. Keep bringing that milk fella and we’ll shower you with love.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Make that 17 points in 18 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

70 points first year
    58 Points second year

Didn't even come close to meeting expectations, even though you're right - in a vacuum, he was fine. And then of course McDonagh lol

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Make that 17 points in 18 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Dude is just a beast on the power play. It's nuts.

Senior Member Squirt Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar

Rangers' Big UFA Swings Finally Pay Off With Shattenkirk

And he continues paying off. The passes he makes are sublime. The PP is fun to watch again. We now have 2 capable units. Pinch me!

I'm pretty cool with Shatty coming here. Before we migrated over to this forum I had mentioned that we got him at a bit of a discount. He's been really good, no doubt. His defensive prowess may not be at a 10, but he can shoot, and play a very smart game. I've noticed one thing about him, and I think Micheletti touched on it last week during either the Boston or Edmonton game;

Shatty is a very intelligent player. He does very subtle things that guys who have played the game, or educated fans notice. He doesn't make very many mental mistakes. Turnovers and stuff like that happen, bad bounces and deflected crap aside, the guy never really seems to make a really dumb play.

This 6 game stretch I think he's shined very well. But like any player, in a season chock full of 82 games, there will be his ups and downs. He's been pretty damn good in my eyes. Lets hope for more of the ups the rest of the way.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I didnt draft him in fantasy hockey for his defensive game!

Senior Member Junior Division
    He's bad at defense. I think we all knew that going in. I think the Rangers were aware of that. That's not what he's brought here to do. He was brought here to run the power play and score points. He has done both. There's nothing much else that can be said. We got him for a discount and he's delivered thus far. I'm very very happy with the way he's played.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Junior Member Mite Division Sod16's Avatar
    From what I see, it's just not fair. It's unsportsmanlike for AV to play Shatty more than every other power play. It's amazing how he doesn't just create goals for others but gimmes for others.