Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Duchene, Brady Skjei Was Rightfully a Non-Starter

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

For Duchene, Brady Skjei Was Rightfully a Non-Starter

It shouldn’t be a surprise that Avalanche GM Joe Sakic wanted Skjei in a trade for Duchene; the end-to-end playmaking that Skjei offers is rare in the NHL and with New York’s obvious need at center, Sakic, evidently, tried to up Duchene’s potential value to the Blueshirts. As McKenzie noted on the NBC Sports Network broadcast of the Rangers vs. Bruins game last night:

“From the New York Rangers perspective, they were very much in on Matt Duchene, or they would have liked to be in on Matt Duchene with the Colorado Avalanche. But the Avalanche were absolutely insisting that Ranger defenseman Brady Skjei be part of any package for Duchene, and that was basically a non-starter for the New York Rangers.”

Now, Gorton’s refusal to include Skjei in a package for Duchene doesn’t mean that there isn’t an offer that couldn’t convince him to trade the young lefty. But the reality is that Duchene is going to be a free agent after next year—and an expensive one at that—making him more of a rental option for a contender. If the Rangers see themselves that way, then Skjei is going to be an integral part of a playoff run and flipping him for a Derek Stepan replacement doesn’t make much sense.

As a player, even though Duchene is more explosive than Stepan, his speed and skill haven’t proven him to be a much more productive. His 0.73 points per game (P/GP) is only marginally better than Stepan’s 0.70 P/GP. In that respect, replacing Stepan with Duchene is, effectively, a lateral move, and not one worth sacrificing a blue-chip defensive prospect or, perhaps sooner than later, your top-pairing defenseman.

Read more

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Hahaha if true.

Of course Sakic wanted Skjei. Silly to think the Rangers would trade their best dollar value player, and most important asset and soon, player. Let alone trade his ELC contract for 1.8 years of a 6M cap hit, then UFA. LET ALONE, trade a budding #1 two way defenseman with size and speed and a great attitude, at all. Do we even have a young dman who is good? Even if all the other Dmen were playing way over their heads, it's a ridiculous ask because it ruins the team now and in the future.

It actually irritates me when you say it doesn't mean there aren't offers to convince Gorton to trade him. What would be the point. When a team doesn't want to trade a true asset (in this case our top asset) there is only one way to get him. A massive overpay. And a massive overpay would be someone like Draisaitl. These things don't happen. We can safely buy a Skjei jersey.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    My guess is the Rangers offer involved some combination of Vesey/Hayes one of their B level prospects in Hartford and/or a combo of picks. Basically garbage.

I would have dangled Andersson+ as Chytil has already seemingly jumped ahead of him.

Senior Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    I get the Duchene and Stepan comparison but at the same time, it’s unfair considering the teams they were on.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    It actually irritates me when you say it doesn't mean there aren't offers to convince Gorton to trade him. What would be the point. When a team doesn't want to trade a true asset (in this case our top asset) there is only one way to get him. A massive overpay. And a massive overpay would be someone like Draisaitl. These things don't happen. We can safely buy a Skjei jersey.
    Nashville fans with with Seth Jones jerseys and Devils fans with Adam Larsson jerseys disagree with you about these things never happening...

Moderator Junior Division
    A 1-for-1 of Skjei for Marner is probably more likely than Mac for Marner.

I don't think it will happen, but it's not like Skjei is so good that he's untouchable. And his ELC ends after this year - any lengthy extension and he's going to get $5m+

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Hahaha if true.

Of course Sakic wanted Skjei. Silly to think the Rangers would trade their best dollar value player, and most important asset and soon, player. Let alone trade his ELC contract for 1.8 years of a 6M cap hit, then UFA. LET ALONE, trade a budding #1 two way defenseman with size and speed and a great attitude, at all. Do we even have a young dman who is good? Even if all the other Dmen were playing way over their heads, it's a ridiculous ask because it ruins the team now and in the future.

Apparently I must do a better job of spreading Rep around before giving it to you again, LOL.
    Silly to think the Rangers would trade their best dollar value player, and most important asset and soon, player. Let alone trade his ELC contract for 1.8 years of a 6M cap hit, then UFA. LET ALONE, trade a budding #1 two way defenseman with size and speed and a great attitude, at all.
    Well summed up. As you said, "it's a ridiculous ask." Not that crazy things don't happen from time to time and when unicorns eclipse the sun, but in this case, I'm very glad it's something didn't happen, IMO.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    A 1-for-1 of Skjei for Marner is probably more likely than Mac for Marner.

I don't think it will happen, but it's not like Skjei is so good that he's untouchable. And his ELC ends after this year - any lengthy extension and he's going to get $5m+
    More likely because Toronto might actually make that trade. I'd bet they'd prefer Skjei too, if given a choice.

Obviously, I would not trade Skjei for McD.

Early last season, when talk of Skjei plus Miller or Hayes for Trouba was all the rage, I was laughed at by more than 20 Ranger fans on another board for stating I would not trade Skjei for Trouba straight up. So I am not surprised at hearing another Ranger fan undervalues Skjei.

Of course, if we go long term with Skjei, we'll get a significant discount considering he would skip multiple years as an RFA. Sounds good.

King, Larsson is not in Skjei league. His offense is not comparable to Brady, neither is his upside. Seth Jones is a different story.

Those are super infrequent. Happens though. I remember where I was when hearing about the Gretsky trade. So rare, even recall the weather. It was a nice sunny day out in the metro area.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Glad he's not on the table. I wanted Duchene, but would only have given a forward like Vesey or Hayes, having DeAngelo as the center piece. That's all they can afford to give up for such a player. Some would say Duchene isn't much better than Hayes.....

Now that McD for Marner idea. Let's make this grow some legs.

Senior Member Midget Division
    More likely because Toronto might actually make that trade. I'd bet they'd prefer Skjei too, if given a choice.

Obviously, I would not trade Skjei for McD.

Early last season, when talk of Skjei plus Miller or Hayes for Trouba was all the rage, I was laughed at by more than 20 Ranger fans on another board for stating I would not trade Skjei for Trouba straight up. So I am not surprised at hearing another Ranger fan undervalues Skjei.

Of course, if we go long term with Skjei, we'll get a significant discount considering he would skip multiple years as an RFA. Sounds good.

King, Larsson is not in Skjei league. His offense is not comparable to Brady, neither is his upside. Seth Jones is a different story.

Those are super infrequent. Happens though. I remember where I was when hearing about the Gretsky trade. So rare, even recall the weather. It was a nice sunny day out in the metro area.
    I like Brady Skjei but I think you're either overvaluing Skjei or undervaluing Trouba. Trouba is virtually the same age as Skjei but has over 180 games of NHL experience over Skjei. His offensive #'s have been on the rise every year as well and seem to be greater than Skjei's. He plays a ton of minutes every game (he averaged more than 5 minutes a game more than Brady last season) and he's playing against the opposing teams top line where as Skjei is generally still behind Mac. The only real advantage of Skjei over Trouba would be Skjei's current contract status.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Glad he's not on the table. I wanted Duchene, but would only have given a forward like Vesey or Hayes, having DeAngelo as the center piece. That's all they can afford to give up for such a player. Some would say Duchene isn't much better than Hayes.....

Now that McD for Marner idea. Let's make this grow some legs.
    DeAngelo as a centerpiece?

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I like Brady Skjei but I think you're either overvaluing Skjei or undervaluing Trouba. Trouba is virtually the same age as Skjei but has over 180 games of NHL experience over Skjei. His offensive #'s have been on the rise every year as well and seem to be greater than Skjei's. He plays a ton of minutes every game (he averaged more than 5 minutes a game more than Brady last season) and he's playing against the opposing teams top line where as Skjei is generally still behind Mac. The only real advantage of Skjei over Trouba would be Skjei's current contract status.
    The only argument you're offering favor of Trouba is that he's further along in his development than Skjei, not that he's necessarily better. Trouba is in his fifth NHL season. It's more likely that he's going to be facing much tougher minutes than Skjei who is in his second NHL season, third professional. Vigneault is also notorious for not being as trusting with younger players so Skjei's current 19:17 isn't that bad all things considered.

Comparing them points wise, Skjei had 39 points in 80 games last season. Trouba has never touched 39 points. He's paced over that before but he's never gotten it. Skjei has already as a rookie. It's possible that Skjei's rookie season was more of an anomaly than anything but who knows. He's playing in different circumstances than last season. He was at the point for the second powerplay unit last season, now he get's about 20 seconds of PP time per game. That's around a minute less than what he got last season. Trouba gets around 2:20 PP time per game. Granted, Skjei only produced 7 points on the powerplay last season. That said, he's not being used in a role that would imply offense anymore despite his zone starts. Shattenkirk handles the offense on that pair. Skjei is there to play defense and also because AV probably doesn't trust him fully yet if we're being accurate.

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    The Rangers desperately need to trade Skjei, Kreider, Zib and Buch, bench Hank and fire AV

After all, they've lost their last 5 games in embarrassing fashion and are completely out of the division race

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Moderator Junior Division
    I think you were on the wrong board, I don't remember anyone here thinking that Skjei for Trouba would have been a good deal lol. And I think that's what WPG would have wanted.

No not this board, was trying to say that. A board with many more participants. And yes that is what they wanted and I was furious that fans and our beats thought it was something we should do. Brooks said it was Skjei with either Kreids or Miller. Imagine that shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Kevin, very reasonable assessment and points. I like Trouba, though he has struggled a bit this year and takes some game changing dumb penalties. But it is probably me who values Skjei very High. I just like him better than Trouba now and think his ceiling is higher and his contract is and will be more manageable due to certain factors.

If Brady was drafted by the Jets, he'd be getting those type of minutes. AV is too slow to trust, but at least he hasn't dragged his feet with Skjei like he has with other young guys.

Member Mite Division Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    I'd love to get trouba. I do value him as a better player than skeij but that is no dig at skeij. Trouba is a right handed beast. He skates extremely well and does have offensive upside to his game. Him being right handed which is harder to find and being much more physical are the reasons I would value him higher. That said having skeij is no consolation prize and by no means would I be looking to move him. Skeij for trouba straight up, trouba to me is the better player. However the cap hit difference probably has me saying no to that

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers4Life View Post
    DeAngelo as a centerpiece?
    Yes. Colorado was mainly looking for young D men. Recent first rounder. Made the team out of camp. Has potential to play in the NHL now with the right coach. Colorado made out big time on what they wound up getting for a disgruntled player with a year and a half left on his 6mill per contract.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Yes. Colorado was mainly looking for young D men. Recent first rounder. Made the team out of camp. Has potential to play in the NHL now with the right coach. Colorado made out big time on what they wound up getting for a disgruntled player with a year and a half left on his 6mill per contract.
    You’re overvaluing DeAngelo, he’s a poor mans Del Zotto.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    The only argument you're offering favor of Trouba is that he's further along in his development than Skjei, not that he's necessarily better. Trouba is in his fifth NHL season. It's more likely that he's going to be facing much tougher minutes than Skjei who is in his second NHL season, third professional. Vigneault is also notorious for not being as trusting with younger players so Skjei's current 19:17 isn't that bad all things considered.

Comparing them points wise, Skjei had 39 points in 80 games last season. Trouba has never touched 39 points. He's paced over that before but he's never gotten it. Skjei has already as a rookie. It's possible that Skjei's rookie season was more of an anomaly than anything but who knows. He's playing in different circumstances than last season. He was at the point for the second powerplay unit last season, now he get's about 20 seconds of PP time per game. That's around a minute less than what he got last season. Trouba gets around 2:20 PP time per game. Granted, Skjei only produced 7 points on the powerplay last season. That said, he's not being used in a role that would imply offense anymore despite his zone starts. Shattenkirk handles the offense on that pair. Skjei is there to play defense and also because AV probably doesn't trust him fully yet if we're being accurate.
    That is something though, right? I'm not trying to knock Brady at all. I think he's been great and his future looks really bright. I was just pointing out that Trouba is also very, very good and would be something that if they did happen to trade Skjei, I wouldn't be all that upset. Better yet would be getting Trouba without giving up Skjei...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast