Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 154 of 154

Thread: [RS] (#17) Rangers vs. Boston Bruins // Strive for Five

  1. #141
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,564
    Rep Power
    66
    Zibanejad and Buchnevich. Those two guys give me hope. They have been awesome from the start and continue to impress every night. I could give or take the majority of the lineup but those two guys are fucking fun to watch together.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  2. #142
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,666
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Zibanejad and Buchnevich. Those two guys give me hope. They have been awesome from the start and continue to impress every night. I could give or take the majority of the lineup but those two guys are fucking fun to watch together.
    It's a bit unfair to talk about those two without giving nod to Kreider. He does a ton of work - particularly at the front of the net - to give them room to do the pretty stuff.

    It's really similar to the way Nash complimented Brass and Zucc a couple years ago.

  3. #143
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,564
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    It's a bit unfair to talk about those two without giving nod to Kreider. He does a ton of work - particularly at the front of the net - to give them room to do the pretty stuff.

    It's really similar to the way Nash complimented Brass and Zucc a couple years ago.
    Sure, I don't disagree. They've had a nice chemistry even going back to last season. Zib and Buch though look like different players.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  4. #144
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,442
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Zibanejad and Buchnevich. Those two guys give me hope. They have been awesome from the start and continue to impress every night. I could give or take the majority of the lineup but those two guys are fucking fun to watch together.
    Zibs is playing like a true top liner. Showing what he could have done last year, if he didn't break his leg. Beastnevich is getting there and his ceiling is high. You're right, fun to watch.

    Future, Kreid's game has picked up. Converting a few of his opportunities to goals helps. I thought he'd be more capable as a passer playing with top talent and he'd keep improving his stick handling, but both are absent this year. However, he is doing the hard work, has definitely been responsible for numerous goals setting the screen, not many blunders, and is certainly a strong fast F1.

    Would like to see Kreid's get back to asserting himself and dictating the game more. He needs to take the puck to the net strong rather than take that weak angled shot. A more aggressive approach may cause him to be a little less predictable in his positioning, but I think Zibs and Buch can adjust. Those two think the game quickly and Buch is play 3D chess. Hard for us mere mortals to know what he is calculating.

    Future, Zuc is doing fine, but he has played better. Without looking at the advanced stats, he is getting more D assignments this year. If he had a center like Schiefele or Couture or Namestnikov or Point or Rakell or Barkov or Trocheck we'd see a more explosive Zuc, with better numbers. Even Brass would do it.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 11-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.

  5. #145
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,442
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Zucc is a great complimentary player. He is what he is, and as such will go through stretches of ineffectiveness, because he's not some top tier A level talent.


    We really need another centerman. I don't know how they can do it, maybe Chytil can help in Feb-March, but Desharnais isn't the answer.
    Yup.
    Said in a few short sentences, what we need to know.

  6. #146
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,564
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Zucc is a great complimentary player. He is what he is, and as such will go through stretches of ineffectiveness, because he's not some top tier A level talent.


    We really need another centerman. I don't know how they can do it, maybe Chytil can help in Feb-March, but Desharnais isn't the answer.
    Even less of an answer is Kevin Hayes. The dude is just a brain dead idiot out there. Honestly, I didn't even notice him except the time he attempted a pass instead of a shot on a 3-1. At this point Desharnais is giving more than Hayes is.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  7. #147
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Myusername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,652
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Even less of an answer is Kevin Hayes. The dude is just a brain dead idiot out there. Honestly, I didn't even notice him except the time he attempted a pass instead of a shot on a 3-1. At this point Desharnais is giving more than Hayes is.
    Yeah, don't really see the guy as any kind of long-term option. I'd look to move him once Chytill is ready

  8. #148
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    11
    Hayes has been good, does more defense than offense lately.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  9. #149
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,666
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Even less of an answer is Kevin Hayes. The dude is just a brain dead idiot out there. Honestly, I didn't even notice him except the time he attempted a pass instead of a shot on a 3-1. At this point Desharnais is giving more than Hayes is.
    You're not paying enough attention. The subtleties of Hayes' game are excellent.

  10. #150
    Member Mite Division Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    Hayes has been good, does more defense than offense lately.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    The kid's gotta shoot the puck! My god, he's the black hole with it. It looks like most teams in the last 7 games haven't even gotten in the shooting lane with him holding the puck in the offensive zone! They seem to know he's passing it every time. I'll watch for it again tomorrow afternoon; but a kid with that type size and strength should be either shooting it and crashing the net, or taking it hard to the net. No question!!!

    If he starts doing either/or... I think there will be players free on the outside to pass to when he NEEDS to most every time.

    This kid could be so good; I just seem to question his toughness; he has the play style of a poor man's Adam Graves in my mind, ....just with none of Adam's grit and compete level. I root for this kid to "get it" every game. Some days he looks like he wants to, and a lot of times I just sit there and scream "shoot it, you pansy!!" LOL

  11. #151
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,442
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    The kid's gotta shoot the puck! My god, he's the black hole with it. It looks like most teams in the last 7 games haven't even gotten in the shooting lane with him holding the puck in the offensive zone! They seem to know he's passing it every time. I'll watch for it again tomorrow afternoon; but a kid with that type size and strength should be either shooting it and crashing the net, or taking it hard to the net. No question!!!

    If he starts doing either/or... I think there will be players free on the outside to pass to when he NEEDS to most every time.

    This kid could be so good; I just seem to question his toughness; he has the play style of a poor man's Adam Graves in my mind, ....just with none of Adam's grit and compete level. I root for this kid to "get it" every game. Some days he looks like he wants to, and a lot of times I just sit there and scream "shoot it, you pansy!!" LOL
    Yeah, good analysis. Hayes is passing up shots often enough that defenders are starting to cheat on the pass. The coaches need to keep reminding him and to tell him to adjust his game when a goalie is struggling like Rask.

    Additionally, I obviously agree with others on this page that Hayes is being put in defensive roles (particularly at home) excessively. Ideally, a 2C who plays a fast and very good D game (such as RNH), would free Hayes to play more like a poor man's Joe Thornton instead of a rich man's Brian Boyle. We could get more evenly distributed O between Nash, Zuc, Miller and Vesey.

    It is not unreasonable to hope Chytil could be that guy next year, but we should temper expectations for this season. Doesn't mean we won't see Chytil get a call up late in the season or sooner. Just don't want to count on it or him filling such a large role in big games, this year.

    Lastly, I would not compare him to Graves or you are bound to be let down. Graves was intense, compact and powerful. Gritty and wore his emotions on his sleeve. Hayes is not quite this. More like some tall surfer dude who still thinks the game cerebrally, while playing video games in his off time.

  12. #152
    Member Mite Division Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Hayes is not quite this. More like some tall surfer dude who still thinks the game cerebrally, while playing video games in his off time.
    LOL that's pretty spot on!! You did see on those back to back 2 on 1's with Zucc in the Edmonton game where the Defenseman was already sliding toward Zuch to cut the pass. He broke up the play too on account of cheating over there!! Then they outright blew the 2nd one!! ...kid is killing me with that pass first mentality.

  13. #153
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,442
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    LOL that's pretty spot on!! You did see on those back to back 2 on 1's with Zucc in the Edmonton game where the Defenseman was already sliding toward Zuch to cut the pass. He broke up the play too on account of cheating over there!! Then they outright blew the 2nd one!! ...kid is killing me with that pass first mentality.
    Yes, but it is understandable against Talbot. They gameplanned to take advantage of his aggressiveness and move the puck across the slot. It paid off.

    However, it certainly is the most frustrating aspect of his game. He's predictable to the opposition.

    The BOOK - He is going to slow the play down in the O-zone, protect the puck and look to make a pass. He does not move towards the crease or shoot.

    Ironically, if Hayes wants to rack up the assists/points, just skate the puck hard to the net. Occasionally shoot it. Once he gets tight he can use his stick, create a little chaos and cause defenders to not only stop cheating, but leave guys open for passes and rebounds. He needs to diversify his attack and drive to the net. At least show that he can threaten to score by playing strong to get the puck inside the dots. He does not have to be overly physical to do this.

  14. #154
    Member Mite Division Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Yes, but it is understandable against Talbot. They gameplanned to take advantage of his aggressiveness and move the puck across the slot. It paid off.

    However, it certainly is the most frustrating aspect of his game. He's predictable to the opposition.

    The BOOK - He is going to slow the play down in the O-zone, protect the puck and look to make a pass. He does not move towards the crease or shoot.

    Ironically, if Hayes wants to rack up the assists/points, just skate the puck hard to the net. Occasionally shoot it. Once he gets tight he can use his stick, create a little chaos and cause defenders to not only stop cheating, but leave guys open for passes and rebounds. He needs to diversify his attack and drive to the net. At least show that he can threaten to score by playing strong to get the puck inside the dots. He does not have to be overly physical to do this.
    Giaco, with his size and strength he should be doing this on a nightly basis. I'm sure the coaching staff sees that this kid has all that in him, but I'm wondering if he has the intestinal fortitude to play like that. I'm begging for him to man up so to speak and play the game like he wants to be that "game-changing" type forward Chicago saw in him when they drafted him.

    Either way man, I love your analysis above! I watch for systematic play, as well as player tendencies. The part with "the book" is right down Broadway too! Gotta tell ya, I'm loving being part of this site with you guys.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •