• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

COL Trades Matt Duchene to NSH for Kyle Turris in Blockbuster Deal

Shane Falco

@FriedgeHNIC

Matt Duchene just left the ice in NYI....The OTT/NASH/COL deal may be back on

Wonder if it's the original three players plus some picks?

Another update

@SunGarrioch

The #Sens are closing in on a deal for Matt Duchene. Kyle Turris expected to land in Nashville.

I'm surprised you would suggest Nashville giving up arguably their best defensemen for Turris :p

I haven't watched Nashville at all this year, but all the fancy stats people identify Josi as one of the most overrated defensemen in the league.

You're also talking about both Ottawa and Colorado moving 1st line players.

I haven't watched Nashville at all this year, but all the fancy stats people identify Josi as one of the most overrated defensemen in the league.

That's interesting. Commentators and reporters usually say the opposite. That he's underrated.

I'm not a stats person so I just go by the eye test; and from what I've seen, he's a stud.

That's interesting. Commentators and reporters usually say the opposite. That he's underrated.

I'm not a stats person so I just go by the eye test; and from what I've seen, he's a stud.

I got bored and tired of Dmitri Filipovic's podcast for being exclusive and condescending if you didn't already know the lingo or where to find data, but before I gave up they did a decent in-depth analysis on Josi's underlying numbers and quality of competition. As well as his defensive play. He's a Shattenkirk-esque player in terms of offensive and defensive contributions.

wtf

@DarrenDreger

Turris and Hammond involved in 3 way trade. Duchene will end up in Ottawa.

Whoaaa

@FriedgeHNIC

Duchene to OTT. Turris to NASH with a 6x6 extension. COL gets Girard, Kamenev, Bowers, Hammond, a 1st (OTT), a 2nd (NASH) and a 3rd (OTT).

I can't believe all Sakic got for Duchene.

It's more like a major win (COL) and a win win all around. Nashville gets even more insane down the center, Ottawa loses a guy they weren't going to resign anyway (think MSL trade here, OTT proved last year they can battle), and Colorado takes a huge step forward with a rebuild. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for these talks haha.

Not sure how this is a lose for Colorado. They're made worse by this right now which only improves their lottery chances, and they get a ton of prospects for a player who absolutely did not want to be there. This has got to be one of the biggest hauls for an unhappy player since the Martin St. Louis trade.

I think they got a better return for ROR... and that didn't turn out to be much at all. Most of the prospects won't amount to much, and draft picks are a crap shoot.

Time will tell.

From a Rangers fan point, Ottawa got better.

I think they got a better return for ROR... and that didn't turn out to be much at all. Most of the prospects won't amount to much, and draft picks are a crap shoot.

Time will tell.

From a Rangers fan point, Ottawa got better.

True, but if you're a fan of the AVs and believe the team is bad and should use this year as a full rebuild, then you did pretty well. A openly on-the-market disgruntled top player who will be a UFA in 2019 is now a problem of the past. High draft picks lessen the crapshot, so does good scouting and volume. Multiple 1's, 2's and even 3's, especially early in the round provides great opportunity to set-up your future. Sakic needs to manage great scouting and do what Detroit or more recently Chicago. 2018 is a strong draft and these aren't 4th and 5th rounders.

From Ottawa's mgmts vantage point, a few assumptions:

1. They think Turris is a #2C and Duchene a #1C

2. I assume they already talked to the agent about parameters for an extension in the off-season. He's sure to command more than Turris's 6X6 and NTC.

3. That Duchene will be able to carry the role as a top line C for years.

4. They don't think backup goalie will be an issue this year or next.

5. They were willing to give up picks this year because they are going for it. They think they are close to Cup contention.

Not sure I would have made all those assumptions considering the risks. Turris proved to be an impactful top 6 C in the playoffs and I'm not sure that Duchene is that much better.

Nashville is going for it. They are an excellent team with 1 gigantic weakness. 5 on 5 scoring is worst in the league. This trade directly improves that and Turris is playoff tough. They just have to hope Girard isn't a 10 year star. Or they win a cup with Turris.

Archived