Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COL Trades Matt Duchene to NSH for Kyle Turris in Blockbuster Deal

#68 Яромир Ягр Junior Division
    Fucking Senators. They just got a little tougher to beat in the playoffs.

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karan View Post
    Fucking Senators. They just got a little tougher to beat in the playoffs.
    They lost Turris and a bunch of their future.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Not sure how this is a lose for Colorado. They're made worse by this right now which only improves their lottery chances, and they get a ton of prospects for a player who absolutely did not want to be there. This has got to be one of the biggest hauls for an unhappy player since the Martin St. Louis trade.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I think they got a better return for ROR... and that didn't turn out to be much at all. Most of the prospects won't amount to much, and draft picks are a crap shoot.

Time will tell.

From a Rangers fan point, Ottawa got better.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I think they got a better return for ROR... and that didn't turn out to be much at all. Most of the prospects won't amount to much, and draft picks are a crap shoot.

Time will tell.

True, but if you're a fan of the AVs and believe the team is bad and should use this year as a full rebuild, then you did pretty well. A openly on-the-market disgruntled top player who will be a UFA in 2019 is now a problem of the past. High draft picks lessen the crapshot, so does good scouting and volume. Multiple 1's, 2's and even 3's, especially early in the round provides great opportunity to set-up your future. Sakic needs to manage great scouting and do what Detroit or more recently Chicago. 2018 is a strong draft and these aren't 4th and 5th rounders.

From Ottawa's mgmts vantage point, a few assumptions:
    1. They think Turris is a #2C and Duchene a #1C
    2. I assume they already talked to the agent about parameters for an extension in the off-season. He's sure to command more than Turris's 6X6 and NTC.
    3. That Duchene will be able to carry the role as a top line C for years.
    4. They don't think backup goalie will be an issue this year or next.
    5. They were willing to give up picks this year because they are going for it. They think they are close to Cup contention.

Not sure I would have made all those assumptions considering the risks. Turris proved to be an impactful top 6 C in the playoffs and I'm not sure that Duchene is that much better.

Nashville is going for it. They are an excellent team with 1 gigantic weakness. 5 on 5 scoring is worst in the league. This trade directly improves that and Turris is playoff tough. They just have to hope Girard isn't a 10 year star. Or they win a cup with Turris.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 11-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Senior Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Did we get too little in the Stepan trade?

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    If they can't re-sign Duchene, they can trade him and recoup almost all of what they traded.

Again, I'm not overly impressed with the prospects acquired, especially compared to what they got for ROR a few years ago. And, I'm not a big draft pick guy. The Rangers roster consists of less than 33% draft picks, and half are from the first round. And that's 18 years worth of draft picks. Colorado is already icing half a team of first round picks (4 of their own)... and have for awhile. And it hasn't been working.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers4Life View Post
    Did we get too little in the Stepan trade?
    Possibly, but I'm happy with the return. Have to consider that the pick we received was quite high (7th) compared to the first round picks that Colorado will receive here, which will likely shake out around 18th - 30th. Huge difference between those two. Not sure the algorithm GMs use to asses the first round picks as a function of their overall placement, but it could be argued that a 7th is twice as valuable as a 18th - 30th, or something like that. Again, I don't know what that valuation is but there's certainly more value to that 7th pick than the ones Colorado has received, and because of that I think it's probably a wash.

Exiled from Connecticut Squirt Division TheDozen's Avatar

I guess I expected a bit more quality over quantity.

My initial vote is lose lose lose trade.
    If so, then good

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar

Time will tell.

I think the biggest asset COL got was Girard. He's just 19 yo and cracked the lineup on the stacked Nashville blueline. Take him plus a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, backup goalie, prospect and thats a really good return for a player that every team in the league knew wanted out of there.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Turris was nearly as good as Duchene in the last few years... not really sure how much better Ottawa really got. Plus, Duchene seems like a total headcase. I think Turris was also at some point but seems like he's come down to earth a little since being traded to Ottawa

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    Turris was nearly as good as Duchene in the last few years... not really sure how much better Ottawa really got. Plus, Duchene seems like a total headcase. I think Turris was also at some point but seems like he's come down to earth a little since being traded to Ottawa
    I don't really agree about Duchene being a headcase, but I agree that I don't think this really makes Ottawa better. I guess they'll be a bit more explosive on offense, but with that trapping style, idk how much room there really is for that. Seems like a big price for a marginal improvement.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    Not sure how this is a lose for Colorado. They're made worse by this right now which only improves their lottery chances, and they get a ton of prospects for a player who absolutely did not want to be there. This has got to be one of the biggest hauls for an unhappy player since the Martin St. Louis trade.
    Agreed and I'm pretty sure Duchene goes UFA after next season. Colorado made a killing here. Lots of picks and prospects for a year and a half rental of a guy that asked to be traded.

Sucks, I thought the Rangers could have gotten Duchene. Glad they didn't pay that price. I think Nashville also comes away a winner by not giving up much for a very good center who signed an ok extension. Turris has been under rated for years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Agreed and I'm pretty sure Duchene goes UFA after next season. Colorado made a killing here. Lots of picks and prospects for a year and a half rental of a guy that asked to be traded.

Sucks, I thought the Rangers could have gotten Duchene. Glad they didn't pay that price. I think Nashville also comes away a winner by not giving up much for a very good center who signed an ok extension. Turris has been under rated for years.
    Agree

Both Col and Nas won

Ott was the HUGE loser in this one

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Colorado did well,i dont think Ottawa got much better

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    They got better.
    Plus, they were not going to sign Turris.
    And they can trade Duchene next season, if he wants too much money.

Ottawa needs to push the pace if they expect EK to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    Agree 100%

Lost draft picks and Turris for a player barely marginally better than Turris if at all.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post

"Glad they [NYR] didn't pay that price. " was the first thing that came to my mind.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12