Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brendan Smith Situation

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Tonight is the night of the unveiling of the new improved Brendan Smith. He's tanned, rested and ready. In all seriousness, I hope he doesn't make a lot of mistakes and run out of position from trying to hard.

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Tonight is the night of the unveiling of the new improved Brendan Smith. He's tanned, rested and ready. In all seriousness, I hope he doesn't make a lot of mistakes and run out of position from trying to hard.
    I thought the Rangers would've waited for a loss to bring him back. Lets hope he's ready to roll.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    I thought the Rangers would've waited for a loss to bring him back. Lets hope he's ready to roll.
    They did lose. Got smoked by Chicago. Good time to change it up.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Fact: Injuries heal.
    Every athlete who's career ended early due to concussions disagrees with your facts.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    Sounds like someone's brain hasn't healed from his last concussion...

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Just because a career ends early, doesn't necessarily mean that the injury hasn't healed.
    Do you know anyone with a TBI? They are never the same. And the research done on CTE illustrates pretty clearly that repeated brain trauma does not heal.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    How did Smith look after his “injury”?

So glad he’s over his injury

Senior Member Squirt Division
    He looked pretty decent again last night over Ottawa. I think that check in the third period was totally a bad call. I couldn't hear the commentary in the bar, but that did not look like a 5 min major!! As a matter of fact the Ottawa player looked like he was jostling with Smith first before he took the worst of that!

He looked ok to me last night....even knocked a few guys down in front! I think we need that physical presence....even more in my opinion would be good for us!

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    He looked pretty decent again last night over Ottawa. I think that check in the third period was totally a bad call. I couldn't hear the commentary in the bar, but that did not look like a 5 min major!! As a matter of fact the Ottawa player looked like he was jostling with Smith first before he took the worst of that!

He looked ok to me last night....even knocked a few guys down in front! I think we need that physical presence....even more in my opinion would be good for us!
    I think a two minute interference would've been a good call. Or at least not an awful call. I do think it's two players going for eachother and one getting the better of the other but I could see why a ref would make an interference call there. 5 minutes and a game was harsh though

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the refs got the call right.

https://youtu.be/d9w2mvETU4o?t=38s

They're skating in hard, neither player is close to the puck nor had Borowiecki played it. Borowiecki does see Smith, but to me he's bracing for the contact, not delivering it. Given the speed they're skating at and that Borowiecki is on the boards side of the play, Smith has to hold up there. He initiates the contact, leaving his lane and exploding into a player who's going to be moving fast towards the boards and defensless. If the pucks there, it's a hockey play. With the puck not there, it's interference. And given the other variables, it's a 5 minute major and game.

I don't think it warrants supplemental discipline because there's no intent, just a real bad judgement of the situation.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

The Brendan Smith Situation

Maybe Smith thought he was going to go at him and ended that he didn’t? I agree, no intent so doubt there’s anything that comes from it

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Either way, Smith is still awful and whatever he had last Spring is long gone.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the refs got the call right.

https://youtu.be/d9w2mvETU4o?t=38s

They're skating in hard, neither player is close to the puck nor had Borowiecki played it. Borowiecki does see Smith, but to me he's bracing for the contact, not delivering it. Given the speed they're skating at and that Borowiecki is on the boards side of the play, Smith has to hold up there. He initiates the contact, leaving his lane and exploding into a player who's going to be moving fast towards the boards and defensless. If the pucks there, it's a hockey play. With the puck not there, it's interference. And given the other variables, it's a 5 minute major and game.

I don't think it warrants supplemental discipline because there's no intent, just a real bad judgement of the situation.
    100 % accurate. You can't hit a player from that distance to the boards either. Not intentionally dirty though.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Also, Sam and Joe are so bad at names I had to go back to NHL.com and look to see if there was some Berezinski I had never heard of.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    100 % accurate. You can't hit a player from that distance to the boards either. Not intentionally dirty though.
    What do you mean?

It's boarding, though I still think Borowiecki initiated contact.

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Joe Micheletti was saying that it shouldn't have been a penalty at all, which is simply not credible and makes me lose respect for his opinions. He kept on saying that the players were looking at each other. So what. As a practical matter, some jostling is permitted under those circumstances but not a full out check, which is what Smith did. Five minutes for interference is unusual. Is that saying that if the puck had been five feet from the boards and Smith had laid that hit on him when they reached the puck and the player then slid into the boards there would have been no penalty? I guess so, even though that hit would have been no less dangerous. My point is, if you have two hits of equal danger, with the player knowing he's about to be hit, I don't see how one can be a five, while the other is a two or nothing, simply because the former constituted interference.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Joe Micheletti was saying that it shouldn't have been a penalty at all, which is simply not credible and makes me lose respect for his opinions. He kept on saying that the players were looking at each other. So what. As a practical matter, some jostling is permitted under those circumstances but not a full out check, which is what Smith did. Five minutes for interference is unusual. Is that saying that if the puck had been five feet from the boards and Smith had laid that hit on him when they reached the puck and the player then slid into the boards there would have been no penalty? I guess so, even though that hit would have been no less dangerous. My point is, if you have two hits of equal danger, with the player knowing he's about to be hit, I don't see how one can be a five, while the other is a two or nothing, simply because the former constituted interference.
    Joe can get overly emotional when the calls can be game changers (major penalties, dis/allowed goals, etc).

I grew up with this being a good, necessary play. Make contact, get in position to get in and get the puck, quickly, establish yourself, etc.
    That was taken out of the game years ago. Now, they might let you get in a little bump, but ONLY when its clear that both players are engaging oneanother. If one "wins" the physical battle, its usually a call. And, with most plays nowdays, any injury will also result in a penalty, or additional time.

I'm ok with the play.
    I think the 5 + game was a bit excessive. But, so was Smith's force. He'd get away with a bump, but he leveled the guy at a bad spot on the ice. If he gets 2 min for that, no big deal. Ill take it.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Not sure if anyone noticed this too but the prior shift borowiecki took a run on mcd and mcd looked like he was hurt. It was a high heavy hit that should have drawn a call. Surely smith and everyone knows that guys reputation for being a little belligerent physically. Maybe he was a little excessive in his contact but it could have been him protecting himself or even a dose of payback for him running his teammate. Probably not but just a thought

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast