Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Brendan Smith Situation

Senior Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar

The Brendan Smith Situation

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Why dont you post "I dont think he's out of shape, and I dont think conditioning is an issue" instead of this crap?
    That would require actually thinking and presenting his opinion rather than trolling. From what Iíve seen, heís nothing but a troller. Some people get some sort of satisfaction of being an online troller.
    Last edited by Rangers4Life; 11-08-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    lol, maybe during his draft year when he was labeled a A-level offensive defenseman. His lack of mobility and agility have been exposed in this system.
    Maybe THIS year this has been true to start, but the guy is a pretty good player man. He's a skater and a banger and can carry the puck pretty good as well as dish it. I feel he's waaaayyy better than you give him credit for. Easily a top 4 guy on most any team in the league.

to good plays last season?

You quoted a beat writer, quoting a line that was fed to him, from someone trying to trade him.

His feet have been cement for several seasons. I'm sure he looked like a good skater next to the rest of that defensive corps in detroit, though. lol
    Oh come on now. Several seasons? How does a guy with cement skates get a contract like that, and gain interest as a free agent from multiple teams?

Is this some sort of backlash for those who trash Holden? You seem to absolutely LOVE that guy, yet you're here saying this overly negative stuff and pretty much making false assumptions about Smith's game prior to this bad start. Not sure how you think this guy is and has been a poor skater.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Why dont you post "I dont think he's out of shape, and I dont think conditioning is an issue" instead of this crap?
    Public forum. I'll post what I deem appropriate. Not happy? Put me on ignore. Besides, I wasn't responding to you.

Yeah. The NYR signed Smith to a lucrative contract because he's a poor skater.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Oh come on now. Several seasons? How does a guy with cement skates get a contract like that, and gain interest as a free agent from multiple teams?

Is this some sort of backlash for those who trash Holden? You seem to absolutely LOVE that guy, yet you're here saying this overly negative stuff and pretty much making false assumptions about Smith's game prior to this bad start. Not sure how you think this guy is and has been a poor skater.
    Girardi, Staal, among others.

None of what I said was false. Most has been backed by several people.
    As for the skating, I dont care, we have different opinions. But his skating is a main reason why he's not in the lineup right now... so... whatever.

As for Holden, I do like parts of Holdens game, yup.
    And you made this thread complaining about Smith sitting - and ironically, the team has been winning, and the defense has looked 100x better.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Maybe THIS year this has been true to start, but the guy is a pretty good player man. He's a skater and a banger and can carry the puck pretty good as well as dish it. I feel he's waaaayyy better than you give him credit for. Easily a top 4 guy on most any team in the league.
    borderline.
    I just dont think people saw him play in Detroit, enough. Just highlights.
    Theres a reason most Wings fans were pleased to see him go.

Girardi, Staal, among others.

None of what I said was false. Most has been backed by several people.
    As for the skating, I dont care, we have different opinions. But his skating is a main reason why he's not in the lineup right now... so... whatever.

As for Holden, I do like parts of Holdens game, yup.
    And you made this thread complaining about Smith sitting - and ironically, the team has been winning, and the defense has looked 100x better.
    I'm sorry I have seen zero to back up what you are saying about his game and skating. More people seem to agree that he's a very good skater.

They are winning, so there's that as a positive. I can't say the D has been 100 times better. Lundqvist has been better and the offense is clicking, but I'm not a fan of the defense.

I started the thread to gauge whether or not anyone agreed with me about this guy being wasted talent wise and especially cap wise. That's a big chunk of change sitting in the press box. Readers seem to agree. Ain't that right Larry Brooks (he had an article about it a day or two later.

Guess we can agree to disagree.

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    We need Smith to find his game cause Kampfer and Holden aren't going to play as well as they have forever. Both have looked pretty good recently. And to think Staal has been decent too,only a matter of time so yeah it would be nice if Smith found his game.

Quote Originally Posted by !br-avery! View Post
    We need Smith to find his game cause Kampfer and Holden aren't going to play as well as they have forever. Both have looked pretty good recently. And to think Staal has been decent too,only a matter of time so yeah it would be nice if Smith found his game.
    Hopefully Holden plays well enough to get some interest from other teams. He's not that bad. His cap hit is great. Just can't rely on him for a whole season. He held his own last season, until he fell apart late. He's fine offensively, except for his knack for passing across the front of his own net, but he's been shaky on the defense side. He's certainly serviceable as a bottom 4 guy. He's playing for a contract too.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    AV's job was on the line. Therefore he can't allow a guy like Smith to "work through his struggles". He needed to win games, and did. Hopefully Smith gets back in because it's fucking insane to have him in the press box and Kampfer and Holden on the ice instead.
    Exactly.
    Not only AV's job was on the line, but the team was also on the verge of being in a position were they might have been mathematically highly unlikely to win at a percentage rate high enough to make the playoffs. Fortunately they dug out of that hole in the nick of time. But Smith playing through his struggles was not an option at that time.

I also hope he gets his chit together because —*based on last year's playoffs — he is exactly the kind of player the team will need to perform well during that later part of the season.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    Exactly.

I also hope he gets his chit together because —*based on last year's playoffs — he is exactly the kind of player the team will need to perform well during that later part of the season.
    I agree 100% with you. I actually like Smith and I think he's going to be a good player. A lot of folks think he was slower and "out of shape" coming back...fine...the guy's a playoff type player that's a necessity in the latter stages of the year when you need that grit to stand up a guy in front or clear the crease for Hank, when everyone's plugging away to tap in a tying goal at the end of regulation.

We've been there and done it; This guy is a must down the stretch and especially the playoffs in my mind. He's gotta get his shit together and get back out on the ice, otherwise we paid a whole lot for a whole lotta nothing!

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I agree 100% with you. I actually like Smith and I think he's going to be a good player. A lot of folks think he was slower and "out of shape" coming back...fine...the guy's a playoff type player that's a necessity in the latter stages of the year when you need that grit to stand up a guy in front or clear the crease for Hank, when everyone's plugging away to tap in a tying goal at the end of regulation.

We've been there and done it; This guy is a must down the stretch and especially the playoffs in my mind. He's gotta get his shit together and get back out on the ice, otherwise we paid a whole lot for a whole lotta nothing!
    I agree with you, he's a good player and will be important to a playoff run.

But showing up for the season - after getting a new contract, especially - out of shape, is not "fine." He doesn't really deserve a pass. I think he deserves a shot to work through it and this is something you can get past, but weddings or not, there's no excuse to be in bad shape to start the year if there's no injury.

No doubt! That's a GM's worst nightmare. I'm with you Future. How long does it take for a guy to get back into shape though? The off season is only 4 months. He can't be too far gone! LOL

We're gonna need him though, like you said.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post

I think most of us agree with this, as well. I even mentioned it in my 2nd post in this thread.

I think the discussion came from the op asking/wondering why Smith is not in the lineup... and then disliked and rejected the responses.

We all know hes not going to be out of the lineup forever, and we know Holden and Kampfer wont play this well, or stay in the lineup for the entire season. But sometimes those names trigger people.

I wasnt a big fan of the contract, but thats in the past. I was mostly worried about his consistency issues, especially when you only have 2 guys that are [usually] consistent, defensively. We need him to be the player we thought we signed. Hopefully hes working hard and can be an asset upon his return.

Senior Member Squirt Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    How long does it take to get back in shape? I seriously doubt the guy sat around eating Taco Bell and drinking beers every day. I get that others are playing well and itís tough to slot him in.

So, how long?

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    Over this six game great stretch of hockey Holden and especially Kampfer have been up there with the best of the NYR backliners. I'd rank them Skjei, Shattenkirk Kampfer, Staal, Holden, McDonough,

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Over this six game great stretch of hockey Holden and especially Kampfer have been up there with the best of the NYR backliners. I'd rank them Skjei, Shattenkirk Kampfer, Staal, Holden, McDonough,

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Ouch
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    How long does it take to get back in shape? I seriously doubt the guy sat around eating Taco Bell and drinking beers every day. I get that others are playing well and it’s tough to slot him in.

So, how long?
    It could take a month to get your game legs back. Remember, the majority of the league is skating and training all off season. Training camp isn't to get you back in shape. You better show up to training camp IN shape already. A coach will do some conditioning, but most of it is to test you to see if you working out all off season, or eating oreos for 5 months.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Might the guy be injured? Nah. Not a chance in hell. Doubt it is all about partying, eating nachos, swilling suds not working out, etc.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast