Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brendan Smith Situation

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Smith is beyond a mobile guy. He was paired with McD throughout college on the top pair and was the offensive Dman, while McD stayed at home. He too was a 1st rounder of Detroit. He was noted by scouts for his offense and skating. After looking great in his first year, Babcock decided to make him a defensive stopper and forced him into a stay-at-home role. He's still offered an all around game, bur struggled with consistency.

His NHL scouting report is pretty spot on.

Assets: Skates extremely well and is adept at rushing up ice with the puck. Has offensive ability, an aggressive nature and excellent size. Has good puck skills and a bit of a mean streak.
    Flaws: Lacks consistency. Also, he could stand to pick his spots better in the hitting department, as he can at times lose his positioning and focus.
    Career Potential: Inconsistent, solid all-around defenseman.

It's a shame he wasn't in top condition, he should be in his prime and playing every night on the right McD or Skjei. Fills one big hole. He is also built for tight checking playoff games, brings the grit and sacrifices his body w/o hesitation. I assumed they are working him hard in practice. Hoping that would be a no-brainer, since he is missing games. AV needs to get him back into things soon. But he will almost certainly wait for a loss.
    lol, maybe during his draft year when he was labeled a A-level offensive defenseman. His lack of mobility and agility have been exposed in this system.

Moderator Junior Division
    Smith made a number of plays last year where he showed he's a good skater. The reason he was re-signed was because AV likes him for the system...

"Real competitive, can skate well, make a good 1st pass." https://twitter.com/stevezipay/statu...layoff-role%2F

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Am I the only one who is very put off on this guy being a constant healthy scratch?

4 million dollars, some grit and snarl, is sitting in favor the likes of Kamfer and Holden.

Is there an injury? Is there an issue with his efforts in practice? How does a guy like this go from top four D man, to a healthy scratch? This guy was probably the teams most consistent guy during the playoffs. He wanted to come back and the team was eager to get him signed.

What's going on here? Why the short leash?
    AV's job was on the line. Therefore he can't allow a guy like Smith to "work through his struggles". He needed to win games, and did. Hopefully Smith gets back in because it's fucking insane to have him in the press box and Kampfer and Holden on the ice instead.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Smith made a number of plays last year where he showed he's a good skater. The reason he was re-signed was because AV likes him for the system...

"Real competitive, can skate well, make a good 1st pass." https://twitter.com/stevezipay/statu...layoff-role%2F
    Links?

The quote is linked...good try though.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    AV's job was on the line. Therefore he can't allow a guy like Smith to "work through his struggles". He needed to win games, and did. Hopefully Smith gets back in because it's fucking insane to have him in the press box and Kampfer and Holden on the ice instead.
    Smith isnt in a spot where he can "work through his struggles". Its not a confidence, or a little rust from the summer. The guy put off hockey all summer, and hes getting older. Shit caught up with him. He, essentially, needs to re-start his summer training program. He's not even ready for pre-season, right now.

And regardless of what people read in scouting reports, or remember him "skating well" on 2 occasions last season, his lack of foot speed in the defensive zone has been a huge detriment. He cant keep up with forwards in a man-to-man system in his own zone.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    The quote is linked...good try though.
    to good plays last season?

You quoted a beat writer, quoting a line that was fed to him, from someone trying to trade him.

His feet have been cement for several seasons. I'm sure he looked like a good skater next to the rest of that defensive corps in detroit, though. lol

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Smith isnt in a spot where he can "work through his struggles". Its not a confidence, or a little rust from the summer. The guy put off hockey all summer, and hes getting older. Shit caught up with him. He, essentially, needs to re-start his summer training program. He's not even ready for pre-season, right now.

And regardless of what people read in scouting reports, or remember him "skating well" on 2 occasions last season, his lack of foot speed in the defensive zone has been a huge detriment. He cant keep up with forwards in a man-to-man system in his own zone.
    Are these facts or assumptions?
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    observations and conclusions.

to good plays last season?

You quoted a beat writer, quoting a line that was fed to him, from someone trying to trade him.

His feet have been cement for several seasons. I'm sure he looked like a good skater next to the rest of that defensive corps in detroit, though. lol
    What are you talking about? That was AV's response to a question from Zip. Here's some good skating plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqUXmAPrG9U
    https://youtu.be/bQfHdyjJLCg?t=5m27s
    https://youtu.be/YUZNt97BK5M?t=4m45s

When he looks slow it's because he's not engaged and is unsure of where to be. His footspeed is fine, especially for someone his size.

observations and conclusions.
    So you've concluded that Smith just signed a paycheck and said, "fuck it. I don't need to work out this summer."

Seems like a stretch.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Senior Member Squirt Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    His skating isn’t great but he doesn’t have feet like cement.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Moved, married, honey moon... showed up out of shape, looked like shit on the ice.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    So you've concluded that Smith just signed a paycheck and said, "fuck it. I don't need to work out this summer."

Seems like a stretch.
    He had a lot of things going on this summer. Easy to see he clearly didn't put in as much works as most of the other guys.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/ran...th/c-290830072

Senior Member Bantam Division

Baah, even this year he led the rush with speed (at the beginning of his shifts). The guy can skate, especially for his size. It is clear to my own eyes, nothing to do with Detroit fans or coaches. He looked like absolute shit at the end of shifts cause he is out of shape. He was also caught out of position (possibly trying to save energy or not in practice) and making misplays a few times each. Cause of his conditioning and lack of sharpness AV felt justified benching him.

When he said he had "to work to get back, to stay ready" that was a clue that he was saying he needs to work to get back into playing shape and form. Let's face it though, AV keeps him on the bench until a loss, injury or Holden/Kampfer looking awful.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Moved, married, honey moon... showed up out of shape, looked like shit on the ice.
    So. Moved, married, honeymoon equates to " out of shape". What looks like " &*$! " to me are the assumptions that some people make.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    On post #12 of this thread you corrected me about Don Maloney, when I posted the information. Age can mess with memory. So as a friendly reminder, DAVE Maloney reported it on the Scott and Patrick show on Sirius XM radio and then repeated the conditioning story on the MSG pregame, sharing his discussion with Smith.
    Yup. DON Maloney it was. Age didn't mess with memory on this end. So Smith told DAVE, not DON Maloney that he, Smith was out of shape, and DAVE related it on the radio for all the world to hear. Dave must've been hallucinating from one too many suds.
    Last edited by LONG TIME FAN; 11-08-2017 at 05:20 PM.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    So. Moved, married, honeymoon equates to " out of shape". What looks like " &*$! " to me are the assumptions that some people make.
    sorry man.
    Some of us watch, listen to the coach, the writers, and the announcers tell us about things.

Not only that, but this thread, and other threads, have been, apparently, "assuming" the same thing we were told to "assume" by the aforementioned staff.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Yup. DON Maloney it was. Age didn't mess with memory on this end. So Smith told DAVE, not DON Maloney that he, Smith was out of shape, and DAVE related it on the radio for all the world to hear. Dave must've been hallucinating from one too many suds.
    Why dont you post "I dont think he's out of shape, and I dont think conditioning is an issue" instead of this crap?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Brendan Smith’s marriage with the Rangers is off to a rocky start

There were, of course, other teams waiting on Smith had the intense 28-year-old hit the open market on July 1. Multiple teams would have been willing to at least match the Rangers’ offer. One would think that there would be significant interest in Smith if the Rangers wanted to annul the agreement.

It is worth wondering whether, this soon into the union, there is buyer’s/seller’s remorse on Smith’s part. The answer came from Smith’s agent, Anton Thun.

“I’m not sure who’s the buyer and who’s the seller in this case, but there are no regrets at all from Smitty,” Thun told The Post prior to Wednesday’s match. “And while I don’t want to speak for the Rangers, I talk to Jeff pretty regularly and I’ve never gotten that impression from him.

“Smitty’s no dummy. He knows this is a performance-based industry and his hasn’t been where he would like it to be or where it needs to be. He’s just working hard to get back in the lineup.”
    http://nypost.com/2017/11/08/brendan...a-rocky-start/
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast