Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brendan Smith Situation

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    He's obviously not as bad as kampfer or Holden but I want av to hold players accountable and sometimes that means doing things that's best for the long term and not the short. I still don't like the selective accountability av wields but I cannot disagree with benching smith than complain there is no accountability. And yes I would trade him. That contract is a bad one when he's playing "well"
    As for the trading, I don't think we'd get what we want. I think we are stuck with him... and the thing is, we could really benefit from what he could be. We desperately need the guy we thought we signed. A solid defender, physical, vet that shows leadership, toughness and can play with an edge. We aren't expecting Weber, but we're not getting close to what we need from him.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    AVs defensive system requires mobile guys. Smith isn't, add poor conditioning, and he's not as effective as Kampfer and Holden. Hopefully he gets his shit together and can be effective for us moving forward.

We also need to be realistic, he played his best hockey when he came here last season - motivated by leaving Detroit and playing for a contract. Obviously, that's not his mindset.
    Smith is a good skater actually. Ho hum. They're winning. Guess I can't complain about that.

I think we're going to need this guy. He's a pretty tough player, and should be playing much better than this. Hopefully this little break is a wake up call to get his shit together. But he has been pretty good for us in the past. The team is winning right now, and it looks like he's been an addition by subtraction, but if this team has any ideas of putting together a solid season, they will be needing Brendan Smith's physicality and defensive play down the road. Trading him would net pretty close to nothing as it stands, and when do you ever sell at a low?

He'll be better....he's a pretty good player, he just needs to get back in shape and get his head on straight.

....these kids today!!!

Junior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Are they able to send him to Hartford for a conditioning stint?

Junior Member Mite Division Sod16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    Right now, I'd bet he'd clear waivers.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    You don't need to clear waivers for a conditioning stint

Moderator Junior Division
    I actually kind of like that idea. Send him down for a few games until Kampfer/Holden needs to be replaced and give him another go.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I think we're going to need this guy. He's a pretty tough player, and should be playing much better than this. Hopefully this little break is a wake up call to get his shit together. But he has been pretty good for us in the past. The team is winning right now, and it looks like he's been an addition by subtraction, but if this team has any ideas of putting together a solid season, they will be needing Brendan Smith's physicality and defensive play down the road. Trading him would net pretty close to nothing as it stands, and when do you ever sell at a low?

He'll be better....he's a pretty good player, he just needs to get back in shape and get his head on straight.

....these kids today!!!
    Right. His physicality is something that we'll need at some point. He didn't enter the season where he needed to be. This is a good time for him to get it back.

Can you send a player that was uninjured down for a conditioning stint?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Right. His physicality is something that we'll need at some point. He didn't enter the season where he needed to be. This is a good time for him to get it back.

Can you send a player that was uninjured down for a conditioning stint?
    Yes, for up to 14 days. Smith just has to agree to it.

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning
    Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen
    (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to
    investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the
    Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan
    to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such
    disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during
    the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be
    entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.
    http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA...A_2013_CBA.pdf

Junior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    I'm sure he would ok a conditioning stint if he's told that if he comes back in better shape he'll be re-inserted in the line-up.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I'm sure he would ok a conditioning stint if he's told that if he comes back in better shape he'll be re-inserted in the line-up.
    He gets paid the same. Sitting or playing.

After signing a big contract, I don't anticipate him accepting a conditioning assignment.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    How does anyone here know he's "out of condition"?

Senior Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Read the thread and you’ll figure out how the topic gained traction.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    On post #12 of this thread you corrected me about Don Maloney, when I posted the information. Age can mess with memory. So as a friendly reminder, DAVE Maloney reported it on the Scott and Patrick show on Sirius XM radio and then repeated the conditioning story on the MSG pregame, sharing his discussion with Smith.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I actually kind of like that idea. Send him down for a few games until Kampfer/Holden needs to be replaced and give him another go.
    Agreed. Get him minutes. But isn't it a cluttered mess in Hartford?

Also forget trading him. I'm pretty sure he got a NT/NM clause in his deal. Unless he'd be willing to waive it. Seeing as he just got married and moved here, I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    AVs defensive system requires mobile guys. Smith isn't, add poor conditioning, and he's not as effective as Kampfer and Holden. Hopefully he gets his shit together and can be effective for us moving forward.

We also need to be realistic, he played his best hockey when he came here last season - motivated by leaving Detroit and playing for a contract. Obviously, that's not his mindset.
    Smith is beyond a mobile guy. He was paired with McD throughout college on the top pair and was the offensive Dman, while McD stayed at home. He too was a 1st rounder of Detroit. He was noted by scouts for his offense and skating. After looking great in his first year, Babcock decided to make him a defensive stopper and forced him into a stay-at-home role. He's still offered an all around game, bur struggled with consistency.

His NHL scouting report is pretty spot on.

Assets: Skates extremely well and is adept at rushing up ice with the puck. Has offensive ability, an aggressive nature and excellent size. Has good puck skills and a bit of a mean streak.
    Flaws: Lacks consistency. Also, he could stand to pick his spots better in the hitting department, as he can at times lose his positioning and focus.
    Career Potential: Inconsistent, solid all-around defenseman.

It's a shame he wasn't in top condition, he should be in his prime and playing every night on the right McD or Skjei. Fills one big hole. He is also built for tight checking playoff games, brings the grit and sacrifices his body w/o hesitation. I assumed they are working him hard in practice. Hoping that would be a no-brainer, since he is missing games. AV needs to get him back into things soon. But he will almost certainly wait for a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Agreed. Get him minutes. But isn't it a cluttered mess in Hartford?

Also forget trading him. I'm pretty sure he got a NT/NM clause in his deal. Unless he'd be willing to waive it. Seeing as he just got married and moved here, I don't see that happening.
    I think a limited. However, I think as a UFA he must be with the team 6 months before eligible to be traded anyway. Meaning January.

Don't see him or Shatty getting traded this year, regardless.

Senior Member Midget Division
    i would sit him too. pay him that kind of dough and not come into camp ready to go. i hope it pisses him off and when he comes back he's a terror.

Senior Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    On post #12 of this thread you corrected me about Don Maloney, when I posted the information. Age can mess with memory. So as a friendly reminder, DAVE Maloney reported it on the Scott and Patrick show on Sirius XM radio and then repeated the conditioning story on the MSG pregame, sharing his discussion with Smith.
    Lol, well done

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast