Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brendan Smith Situation

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Exactly right. He has no one to blame but himself. Being an nhl player and cashing millions each year is a 12 month 365 day job. Being out of shape or better yet poorly conditioned compared to your peers is a player not doing his job. He can't complain this is a product of him not putting in the work in the offseason while his teammates who he battles for ice time did. Nothing for him to do now but get in shape and wait his turn. When that times comes he needs to force them to keep him there.
    You can't understate here that this is not an issue the rangers want to deal with. They want him in the lineup. They just invested a lot of money believing in this player. The rangers have egg on their face here too. All of this was caused by smiths lack of professionalism.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    It was definitely conditioning. This specious speculation of a hidden injury is ridiculous. Most here know not to start unfounded rumors based on nothing.

One last time, for the benefit of those who missed it the first few times. I heard Dave Maloney discuss the situation clearly and tactfully on radio and the pregame, myself. Not a rumor. He was not bashing him, more like informing the radio host what he had learned from spending time at the practice facilities, speaking to everyone, including Smith. He said, Smith admitted his struggles at the end of shifts and said he screwed up thinking all his weight training was sufficiently keeping him in shape. Essentially, he fooled himself into thinking he was in good "cardio" condition.

This isn't some nuanced detective story. Occam's Razor in effect. Smith showed he was out of condition. It was noticeable to everyone, at the end of shifts. Smith's fault. A few goals resulted from a player getting by him or by not getting back quick enough. AV felt justified to bench him. Since this is punishment, consequences for a professional omission, Smith sits until the team loses. Whether it was an innocent oversight or a lazy one, it should not happen. Therefore, until a loss, injury or another Dman shits the bed, Smith has to deal with it.
    I wasn't second guessing it. I was trying to be nice and add a possible twist while ignoring others.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I wasn't second guessing it. I was trying to be nice and add a possible twist while ignoring others.
    My apologies Mikey, I was not directing this at you. I realized you were also saying it would be silly to conspire to hide an injury to Smith in October, where he has missed 5 games now. Like you I was reiterating that his status is not due to injury, for those unwilling to accept the validity of Dave Maloney's reporting or my relaying of his reports. Why would he make the whole story up?

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    My apologies Mikey, I was not directing this at you. I realized you were also saying it would be silly to conspire to hide an injury to Smith in October, where he has missed 5 games now. Like you I was reiterating that his status is not due to injury, for those unwilling to accept the validity of Dave Maloney's reporting or my relaying of his reports. Why would he make the whole story up?
    He wouldn't. That's why it's ignorant to challenge a respected analyst who has had his finger on the pulse of this team for umpteen years.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Moderator Junior Division
    He wouldn't. That's why it's ignorant to challenge a respected analyst who has had his finger on the pulse of this team for umpteen years.
    I mean, for all we know he has herpes and can't play lol

I agree with you in this case, but beat writers don't necessarily know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I mean, for all we know he has herpes and can't play lol

I agree with you in this case, but beat writers don't necessarily know everything.
    Dave Maloney isn't a beat writer.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Dave Maloney isn't a beat writer.
    Reporter. Whatever. Point is the same.

Is he practicing every day ?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Reporter. Whatever. Point is the same.
    Mike, 2 years ago I posted on here the exact play by play on Zuc's injury after taking a puck off the head. Nothing was out in the media about his injury, and after it was revealed when the season was over it turned out I was 100% accurate. Agree? Ok, so if I knew exactly what happened to a Ranger before it came out publicly, why are we doubting Dave Maloney?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Mike, 2 years ago I posted on here the exact play by play on Zuc's injury after taking a puck off the head. Nothing was out in the media about his injury, and after it was revealed when the season was over it turned out I was 100% accurate. Agree? Ok, so if I knew exactly what happened to a Ranger before it came out publicly, why are we doubting Dave Maloney?
    I'm not. I already said I agree with you in this case. I also don't doubt that a reporter/beat writer or whoever is telling the truth to the best of their knowledge, but I don't believe that they're told everything, unequivocally.

I'm not. I already said I agree with you in this case. I also don't doubt that a reporter/beat writer or whoever is telling the truth to the best of their knowledge, but I don't believe that they're told everything, unequivocally.
    I didn't hear the report, but wasn't it said that it was Smith himself that told Maloney? I asked above if anyone knows if he's been practicing every day, do we know that? If he is, I'd say a major injury, medical issue, or whatever else would be suspect. No?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

I didn't hear the report, but wasn't it said that it was Smith himself that told Maloney? I asked above if anyone knows if he's been practicing every day, do we know that? If he is, I'd say a major injury, medical issue, or whatever else would be suspect. No?
    Yea he said that he was out of shape and yes he's been practicing as the 7D. So no, in this case it's likely that there's no injury.

Yea he said that he was out of shape and yes he's been practicing as the 7D. So no, in this case it's likely that there's no injury.
    Thank you
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Perhaps there is a hidden clause in the CBA that states the Rangers must have at least 10 mill in AAV tied up in useless Defense per season?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I think it's time....

No one decked anyone in front of Hank in that Chicago game. Anisimov looked like the image of Wayne Gretzky last night.
    I think it's time to go to the bullpen and get our man back in there. The point has been made!

...if no response from him this time, THEN it's off to Siberia!

What do you guys think? I've kinda seen enough of players left standing in front of Hank, banging at every rebound without anyone knocking them down or paying the price!

Senior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Watching that game I kept thinking crosscheck a motherf***er, push somebody, tie up their stick at least.

Smith Returning to Lineup, What's it All Mean? - foreverblueshirts.com/smith-returnin…

Last night v. CHI we lacked the ‘grit and sandpaper’ Smith brings. The NHL game has gone from goon to skill with little in between. A good body check would straighten things out every once in a while. Who throws body checks on NYR with any regularity? Think about that for a minute. Smith may not bang on every shift but he certainly brings a physical game and one that’s quite lacking on this squad.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    That wasn't the Smith that showed up this season. Could really use that.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I assume that he’s recovered from his injury now.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast