Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: [RS] (#15) Rangers at Florida Panthers // Haven't You Heard? We Win Games Now

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Maybe you guys are right, but what could Skjei do there? He picked up the fast and talented Trocheck, stayed in front of him, forced him to the outside, cut off his angle and still didn't screen Hank. Maybe Hank coulda had it, but I won't kill him on that.

How about a great hockey play and shot by a blazing quick guy, we wish was a Ranger.

That was the first 6-5 goal, in the last ten, that didn't piss me off.
    He had horrible reaction. The puck was turned over, he skated out of his zone, nonchalantly, and got caught flat footed on a mid-ice give n go, a play that had already burned the ranger multiple times.

Not entirely his fault, but if he got in position and anticipated the (obvious) play, it would have been an easy play to break up.

It's amazing how easy it all looks while watching from the stands or on TV. Especially with slo-mo replays and hi-def close in shots.

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    It's amazing how easy it all looks while watching from the stands or on TV. Especially with slo-mo replays and hi-def close in shots.
    Absolutely correct

That's why fans and FAN callers always are quick to rant about some "perceived" error they saw on their 13" standard def TV.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    So now no one is allowed to comment on what they're watching? No one said it's easy, and someone like Josh knows that better than anyone. What he said was true, and anyone who knows better doesn't need high def or slo mo. He broke down the play watching a replay, so what? That's how you actually learn the game rather than sitting on the couch with pom poms cheering for every goal and every win. Every team in every sport breaks down film to correct mistakes, play better, and learn the game more. It's what makes it fun.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He had horrible reaction. The puck was turned over, he skated out of his zone, nonchalantly, and got caught flat footed on a mid-ice give n go, a play that had already burned the ranger multiple times.

Not entirely his fault, but if he got in position and anticipated the (obvious) play, it would have been an easy play to break up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nn62OJ3saM

Except Mikey, I feel I'm the only one breaking down the play. And concluding that was a "shit play by Skjei" or that he was out of position is absolute bullshit. You agree with Josh's breakdown and not mine above and below?

You guys can start the video at 7:21. Watch the entire play multiple times, keying in on any guy, but start with Skjei and tell us where he made a defensive mistake.

Trocheck comes on to make it 6 on 5. Skjei gets possession with two forwards fronting him deep in his own end. No where to pass he makes the right play. He uses the boards and dumps it 3/4 ice where a fresh Trocheck starts the attack at his blue line.
    {This was actually a good play. Fending off the forecheckers to dump it OUT under pressure, shorthanded and avoiding the icing. Simple and good.}

Now watch Trocheck's pass and you'll see it is Hayes that falls victim to the give and go near mid ice. It really has nothing to do with McD or Skjei. Skjei picks up the flying Trocheck and plays him correctly. When he realizes he is committing to the strong outside move, Skjei turns on the burners to not let him get the inside hip. Trocheck responds by ending his burst with a perfectly placed and quick tough-angle shot. Bravo Trocheck.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 11-05-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Josh, its cool, i love your passion.

But you were drinking or paying attention to the women last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nn62OJ3saM

Except Mikey, I feel I'm the only one breaking down the play. And concluding that was a "shit play by Skjei" or that he was out of position is absolute bullshit. You agree with Josh's breakdown and not mine above and below?

You guys can start the video at 7:21. Watch the entire play multiple times, keying in on any guy, but start with Skjei and tell us where he made a defensive mistake.

Trocheck comes on to make it 6 on 5. Skjei gets possession with two forwards fronting him deep in his own end. No where to pass he makes the right play. He uses the boards and dumps it 3/4 ice where a fresh Trocheck starts the attack at his blue line.
    {This was actually a good play. Fending off the forecheckers to dump it OUT under pressure, shorthanded and avoiding the icing. Simple and good.}

Now watch Trocheck's pass and you'll see it is Hayes that falls victim to the give and go near mid ice. It really has nothing to do with McD or Skjei. Skjei picks up the flying Trocheck and plays him correctly. When he realizes he is committing to the strong outside move, Skjei turns on the burners to not let him get the inside hip. Trocheck responds by ending his burst with a perfectly placed and quick tough-angle shot. Bravo Trocheck.
    I don't disagree with you, but like Josh said, not entirely his fault and was caught flat. He did a good job of recovering and forcing a shot from outside the dots. I think if he was positioned better, he could have broken that up with his body and completely killed the play, but he was forced to skate his man wide. Not awful though.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but like Josh said, not entirely his fault and was caught flat. He did a good job of recovering and forcing a shot from outside the dots. I think if he was positioned better, he could have broken that up with his body and completely killed the play, but he was forced to skate his man wide. Not awful though.
    Pretty much. I think Skjei didn't want to over commit to his left (the outside) as Trocheck came into the zone. A viewer can interpret flat-footed, but it is important not to make the first move and open up the middle (his right, as well as the space he occupies) or give up a better angled shot. I think it is more Skjei was caught not guessing. Trocheck had so much speed that his best move was to force him outside, once it was clear he wasn't going straight to the net.

However, Trocheck took what little he was given and executed perfectly.

Pretty much. I think Skjei didn't want to over commit to his left (the outside) as Trocheck came into the zone. A viewer can interpret flat-footed, but it is important not to make the first move and open up the middle (his right, as well as the space he occupies) or give up a better angled shot. I think it is more Skjei was caught not guessing. Trocheck had so much speed that his best move was to force him outside, once it was clear he wasn't going straight to the net.

However, Trocheck took what little he was given and executed perfectly.
    When you get caught flat, your gap control is dead.

He put that pass through 2 Rangers in the NZ, which also can't happen. The first defender in the nz had his stick to the outside almost daring him to make that pass up the middle. Which he did. Successfully.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Right, but Skjei was not in the neutral zone. I think you are referring to Hayes there.

I gave my initial assessment after the Dmen, specifically Skjei, were criticized.

Right, but Skjei was not in the neutral zone. I think you are referring to Hayes there.

I gave my initial assessment after the Dmen, specifically Skjei, were criticized.
    No, it was the 1st guy forcing the play. Hayes was lower. I couldn't see his number, Vesey maybe ?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Its a simple fundamental drill that guys do every practice. Getting up ice, into the play, where you need to be, for the system to be effective. I didn't need slow mo or a replay to see he was caught flat footed, and immediately knew why.

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    Rangers win third in row, last two on road in OT

Josh and Mikey obsessing over one play involving Brady Skjei who is BTW the best young Ranger defensemen and probably one of the best in the NHL as he matures and develops

^^ Some fans will never be satisfied no matter the outcome. Always gotta pick something apart, no matter how insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Rangers win third in row, last two on road in OT

Josh and Mikey obsessing over one play involving Brady Skjei who is BTW the best young Ranger defensemen and probably one of the best in the NHL as he matures and develops

^^ Some fans will never be satisfied no matter the outcome. Always gotta pick something apart, no matter how insignificant.
    No one is upset. No one hates Skjei. We're simply discussing the play. There's significance in every shift.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Yes, because discussing the flat footed play that turned out to be the game tying goal, forcing the game to go into OT is insignificant. Got it.

Senior Member Junior Division
    These guys will learn... I think it's safe to say we all fuck up at our jobs here and there

I think the confidence still isn't there with some players because of the subpar start

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567