Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 99 of 99

Thread: Schoenfeld, Leger, Sather, and Risebrough Attend Montreal vs Ottawa Game

  1. #81
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,442
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    I would think the leafs would keep nylander as he and Matthews have great chemistry together. I would also think that if the leafs were to trade marner that a slew of teams would want to make an offer. Would mcd be the best trade for Toronto? I would think the ducks, flyers, canes, and Nashville would all have say in that with the abundance of high end defenseman they all have. Mcd is also a ufa in 2019 which means long term he may not be a fit. The leafs have all the leverage in this scenario. He's a high end top line forward still on his elc, that is worth a lot and more than anything there is no rush to have to move him. If I was Lou mcd alone is never going to be enough for marner. Marner's age and contract would attract rebuilders and contenders alike. I would love to see it happen but I do think it's a little bit of a pipe dream
    Honestly, those were exactly my thoughts and exactly what I'd do if was lou/Shanny trading Marner for D. Those are the teams (add a couple more) and the competition and McD's upcoming contract makes it a pipedream. Only hope is Babcock carries sway and pines for McD.

    BTW, appreciate your reply on RNH. You are right in that he is not strong, that was always the knock by scouts and fans. Some think if he was stronger he might not have suffered the types of injuries he had. As a distant observer it's his dynamic play with his slick skills and skating that is attractive. He always seems like he is moving and he balances his game by always being defensively responsible. And he has excellent hockey sense, so he is not skating around aimlessly and will slow the game down because he can mix up his attack.

    Future, I only mentioned RNH's weight because fatty and I were discussing it. As for the skating versus standing still comment, it was a joke. BTW, good video. You'll notice the first goal is a skater's goal. So is the one where he uses the Red Wing captain as a cone and blows by him. There was another I saw in a diff video. You made some good observations though. RNH is quite capable of slowing the play down and making pinpoint accurate passes.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 11-03-2017 at 01:39 PM.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,442
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Because of Staal, Girardi, and Nash. Not because of middle six depth.
    Exactly. Though Nash wasn't a G, Staal and Dan Boyle fiasco where the player was close to done.

    It was a fuckin sick reminder watching Stralman still toy with anyone who tries to beat him one on one. And then productively move the puck forward!

  3. #83
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,442
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Neither Graves, Pionk, or Bereglazov are NHL defenceman, nor are they assured of being anything that resembles one. None can be considered kids, either. I think if one becomes a regular, we'll be doing well.
    Bereglazov, sure. He did not look good. Pionk is fresh out of college and looked good in camp. Thought he was a 3rd pair prospect with no fatal flaws? Has he sucked in Hartford?

    My eyes say Graves is growing into an NHLer and has made another leap. Yet, besides preseason I need to see him under real fire. He was impressive in preseason . What is your read? Is it current? He just turned 22 a few months ago. Young for a very big Dman.

    However, I'd also like Marner but if the Rangers still have eyes on competing this year I don't see how you trade McD.
    I understand, then you remind yourself of the upcoming contract, swallow hard and figure it out. You promote Skjei and find a good, but lesser dman. Supposedly there are a glut non top pair Dmen. It is the lesser of 2 evils.

    If that doesn't work, remember what you said after the game. It was "entertainment". If grit, solid hard-working hockey and Kampfer fights aren't the only thing that entertains you. Marner makes the Rangers much more entertaining in the long run. Also, certainly more exciting on a game by game basis.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 11-03-2017 at 02:04 PM.

  4. #84
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,888
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Because of Staal, Girardi, and Nash. Not because of middle six depth.
    Yeah, that's always going to happen.

    Dubinsky, Callahan, g, Staal, Stepan
    Hayes, Kreider, Miller, Zib, McDonagh

  5. #85
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,135
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Yeah, that's always going to happen.

    Dubinsky, Callahan, g, Staal, Stepan
    Hayes, Kreider, Miller, Zib, McDonagh
    Huh? Zib and Kreider are on excellent contracts. Miller should sign similar to Zib. That's not what hurts your cap.

    If Nash were paid the same as Kreider, Staal got $3m as a 3rd pair guy and we didn't have to buyout Girardi then we'd have about $11m in cap space right now while icing the same exact team. Bad contracts to under preforming players kill your cap, not having a bunch of $4.5m to $5.5m 20-30 goal or 50-60 point guys.

  6. #86
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,888
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Huh? Zib and Kreider are on excellent contracts. Miller should sign similar to Zib. That's not what hurts your cap.

    If Nash were paid the same as Kreider, Staal got $3m as a 3rd pair guy and we didn't have to buyout Girardi then we'd have about $11m in cap space right now while icing the same exact team. Bad contracts to under preforming players kill your cap, not having a bunch of $4.5m to $5.5m 20-30 goal or 50-60 point guys.
    Go read the threads on Staal and Girardi contracts. Those were also excellent.

  7. #87
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,135
    Rep Power
    27
    Don't need to, because they weren't.

    Signing a 28 year old until he's 34 and a 30 until he's 36 are in no way comparable to signing 24 year old to age 28 or a 25 year old until age 28.

  8. #88
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,888
    Rep Power
    182
    This isn't a video game. Be realistic.

    You can't ignore shit because you don't like it or don't agree with it

    You will always have a bad contract
    You will always re/sign guys older than 26.

  9. #89
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,135
    Rep Power
    27
    What am I ignoring? A bad contract you can work around, 3 or 4 you can't.

    Never said you can't sign guys over 26. I said you can't compare the re-signings of Staal and Girardi to those of Zib and Kreider. Shatty, Smith (I agree with you we should't have signed them both), Grabner, Holden. All vets over age 26 that we signed, yet we didn't sign them into their mid to late 30's. Taraves is a potential signing, and I would sign him until age 35 (8 years $72-$80m) but again Taraves isn't comparable to Staal or Girardi.

  10. #90
    Member Mite Division Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    4
    Regarding bad contracts and mcd. He's on an excellent contract right now but when becomes a ufa the rangers are really going to have a big decision to make. I didn't say tough because more than likely mcd will be able to command 7+m over 6 maybe plus years. To me there is no way the rangers can sign on to that. He's had a long injury history with head and shoulder injuries being the problem. That is a huge red flag and the rangers would be wise in getting assets for him before he reaches ufa and lose him for nothing. That of course comes next season but if this year spirals downward then trading him this year would only net you a better haul. I guess what I'm saying is that trading mcd might be a wise move regardless.

  11. #91
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,888
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Regarding bad contracts and mcd. He's on an excellent contract right now but when becomes a ufa the rangers are really going to have a big decision to make. I didn't say tough because more than likely mcd will be able to command 7+m over 6 maybe plus years. To me there is no way the rangers can sign on to that. He's had a long injury history with head and shoulder injuries being the problem. That is a huge red flag and the rangers would be wise in getting assets for him before he reaches ufa and lose him for nothing. That of course comes next season but if this year spirals downward then trading him this year would only net you a better haul. I guess what I'm saying is that trading mcd might be a wise move regardless.
    And I pretty much agree.

    But, most people don't see it that way. Didn't see it that way with Girardi and staal. "Who will replace them" "you need to pay then", and when you do, and they don't perform to the contract, thats when you have (more) cap issues.

  12. #92
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,484
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Regarding bad contracts and mcd. He's on an excellent contract right now but when becomes a ufa the rangers are really going to have a big decision to make. I didn't say tough because more than likely mcd will be able to command 7+m over 6 maybe plus years. To me there is no way the rangers can sign on to that. He's had a long injury history with head and shoulder injuries being the problem. That is a huge red flag and the rangers would be wise in getting assets for him before he reaches ufa and lose him for nothing. That of course comes next season but if this year spirals downward then trading him this year would only net you a better haul. I guess what I'm saying is that trading mcd might be a wise move regardless.
    I would agree. That's it in a nutshell for me.
    It won't be a very popular decision, and there will be wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, but NYR have been caught all too often with injury-compromised high-dollar contracts that fail to live up to the price tag. Later post-concussion post-shoulder injury Gaborik, post-concussion Nash, Post-concussion Staal, Girardi. As you say it's a huge red flag.

    mcd's skates will he huge to fill, but that's the way it goes. That's why they have to be more responsible with high draft picks in trades.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  13. #93
    Member Mite Division Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    4
    I think the saying goes pay for what will be not what was

  14. #94
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,597
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    No Marner. If we are entertaining the idea of trading McD to Toronto, its for Nylander.
    Wed have to add a lot to the trade to make that happen


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  15. #95
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,597
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Because of Staal, Girardi, and Nash. Not because of middle six depth.
    Well, and more importantly Lundqvist


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  16. #96
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,107
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Im dreaming about Marner. The guy had 61 points in 77 games in his rookie season as a 19 y/o and Toronto plays him on the 4th line now. How messed up are their forward Group? He must be available, no? I would consider trading McD for him.

    McD for Marner, Nash for a late 1st at the deadline and trade Hayes for a 2nd and prospect. Marner would be our #1C with Zib as #2 and Chytil, Andersson ready for next season.

    I've said it multiple times, but every cup winner the last decade had a superstar #1C. Its like having a superstar QB. Marner obviously has the potensial, Toronto uses him as a 4th line winger so they shouldnt have any trouble trading him and they would get that important #1D they lack.

    We would have Marner, Zib, Chytil, Andersson down the middle, Skjei, ADA, Day, Graves, Pionk, Bere+ on D, Igor as future #1G and two 1st and two 2nd's in next years draft. Would be contenders again in 2-3 years.
    The more you talk about this idea, the more I FUCKING LOVE IT. I think you could get Marner + a little something for McD. Sell high.

  17. #97
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,107
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenvold View Post
    It depends on your definition of "superstar". Who was the superstar C of Los Angeles? Kopitar?

    And even if we buy that premise - you must concede that it's very much possible to win a conference without one - unless you cound Joe Pavelski or Ryan Johansen as superstars?
    Kopitar and some guy named Carter.

  18. #98
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,107
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Or, more realistically, you are stuck with a middling core, no superstar, a bunch of middle 6 guys that the fans love, but aren't bad enough to get rid of or get you a high pick and aren't good enough to win the cup.

    Sound familiar?
    Nailed it.

    KOBE!!!!

  19. #99
    Member Mite Division Rosenvold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Kopitar and some guy named Carter.
    Fair enough, but by that definition the league holds 30-40 superstars. And in my opinion that's too many.

    Also, if the definition of superstars is that broad, who can say that Chytil or Zib cannot become top 30-40 players and thus meet the criteria? We can safely say that they will never be Crosby/McDavid, but if Kopitar counts as a superstar player, then Chytil and Zibanejad has superstar potential IMO.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •