Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sean Avery: The Morning Show with Boomer Esiason

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    From first hand experience, you can't blame anyone for not doing more. When a person doesn't want help, they're gone. You can go to the end of the world to get them clean, but it's not going to matter once they're in that dark place. My sister in-law (wife's sister that I've known for 30+ years) wanted a baby for the longest time. She finally got pregnant. She went into depression, and no one could help her. She was always a weekend warrior, but NEVER touched heroin or oxy's. She got her hands on some, before you know it she was shooting up. She went to jail, twice. I bailed her out, twice. We got her help, it didn't matter. She died one night and was brought back to life with narcan. I went to the hospital the next day and she told me she didn't do any drugs and she doesn't know what happened. I called my wife from the car and told her that her sister is gonna die soon, she was in complete denial. 1 month later we buried her. 41 years old, beautiful girl with a beautiful 2 year old girl that we now take care of 2-3 days a week (she's 5 now, love her to death). So blaming anyone is a load of shit, especially blaming a coach. Sadly, Boogaard was gone long before his OD, and long before he was a Ranger.
    Man Iím sorry to hear that....but I have seen pics of you and that 2 year old....her awesomeness has rubbed off on you

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Man I’m sorry to hear that....but I have seen pics of you and that 2 year old....her awesomeness has rubbed off on you

She's my fav. You know that. You've seen Michael's back plate too, right ?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    She's my fav. You know that. You've seen Michael's back plate too, right ?
    I have

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    From first hand experience, you can't blame anyone for not doing more. When a person doesn't want help, they're gone. You can go to the end of the world to get them clean, but it's not going to matter once they're in that dark place. My sister in-law (wife's sister that I've known for 30+ years) wanted a baby for the longest time. She finally got pregnant. She went into depression, and no one could help her. She was always a weekend warrior, but NEVER touched heroin or oxy's. She got her hands on some, before you know it she was shooting up. She went to jail, twice. I bailed her out, twice. We got her help, it didn't matter. She died one night and was brought back to life with narcan. I went to the hospital the next day and she told me she didn't do any drugs and she doesn't know what happened. I called my wife from the car and told her that her sister is gonna die soon, she was in complete denial. 1 month later we buried her. 41 years old, beautiful girl with a beautiful 2 year old girl that we now take care of 2-3 days a week (she's 5 now, love her to death). So blaming anyone is a load of shit, especially blaming a coach. Sadly, Boogaard was gone long before his OD, and long before he was a Ranger.
    I'm well aware, and we've discussed this in the past. I always blame the "PC" crowd... its deemed unacceptable and uncomfortable to call-out or identify such issues. We are taught to ignore, deny or neglect such issues all too often. And we are all guilty of that, not pointing fingers... but thats how we are programmed. I've advocated, for a long time (and not so nicely at times), the importance of calling out issues/illness/abuse... its not always comfortable, but its necessary. Same with drugs, mental illness, sexual assault in Hollywood... sometimes you need a little peer pressure to create a positive impact.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I'm well aware, and we've discussed this in the past. I always blame the "PC" crowd... its deemed unacceptable and uncomfortable to call-out or identify such issues. We are taught to ignore, deny or neglect such issues all too often. And we are all guilty of that, not pointing fingers... but thats how we are programmed. I've advocated, for a long time (and not so nicely at times), the importance of calling out issues/illness/abuse... its not always comfortable, but its necessary. Same with drugs, mental illness, sexual assault in Hollywood... sometimes you need a little peer pressure to create a positive impact.
    I agree. Not all issues can be handled the same way though. There's only so much a person can do to help an addict. The last thing you say before they're lowered into the ground is "I should have locked him/her in a room". Is that really a possibility? Is that going to cure them?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    First, unless a person has experienced trying to help a family member who is an addict, i'm not sure you can understand how difficult it is to help or exert control or effective pressure.

Trust me, even a fearless type A personality who is the type to stop a mugging in an NYC back alley, will feel helpless after spending hours every day for months working with the addict.

When everyone knows the person is an addict, intervenes, tries to help using various methods, it is hard to point to a lack of "peer pressure" as the issue. I also have experience with a second addict who does not have the ability to deal or cope with life, let alone the consequences of her addiction. She doesn't have the makeup to stay clean even after going through the withdrawl multiple times. She's smart, but she's gone deeper into her depression and attempted suicide. We've have had her in therapy, separate counseling and in-patient treatment multiple times. She is still struggling and all the family knows the extent of the problems and is trying to help, some with hard love. She cares little about what anyone says or does.

Who thinks it is PC to call-out, do more or help a drug abuser. Certainly not the more liberal citizenry who have recognized and worked the hardest and longest to address all aspects of the issue head-on. The kids came home from Vietnam with heroin and her addictions, conservatives not only ignored the problem, but denied it. Same can easily be said for mental health issues. The far right has been absent in facing these issues for decades.

"The PC crowd" sounds like talk radio jargon.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Let's also not forget that some people DO stop and get better. A family member overcame heroin addiction, and a co worker has overcame alcohol abuse. Yet, another co worker died from an overdose while trying to rehab/ go through councilling.

For every long gone can't help them person out there, there are those who DO fix their problem.

I'm sorry to hear of those who have lost loved ones to such things. Not trying to downplay or ignore that many DON'T find their way back. Not at all.
    Last edited by The Dude; 11-07-2017 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Let's also not forget that some people DO stop and get better. A family member overcame heroin addiction, and a co worker has overcame alcohol abuse. Yet, another co worker died from an overdose while trying to rehab/ go through councilling.

For every long gone can't help them person out there, there are those who DO fix their problem.

I'm sorry to hear of those who have lost loved ones to such things. Not trying to downplay or ignore that many DON'T find their way back. Not at all.
    Absolutely. It's great that those people can dig down deep enough to want the help they need to live a better life. For others, there's just no turning back. As sad as this sounds, it came to the point here where there was a bit of relief when she passed. For the 2 prior years before she died, we had lost her already. My wife didn't have her loving sister, I didn't have my fun sister in-law, my kids didn't have their aunt that spoiled them .... it was more stressful waiting for the inevitable than it was when she actually passed away. You're still shocked and horrified though, it's very strange.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post

Absolutely, though individuals and circumstances makes each situation different. So much comes into play. A person's makeup including genetically, psychologically, upbringing, their experiences, finances, health, world view or view of themselves. That is just scratching the surface and what works with one does not always work. There is no formula or easy answers.

Sadly, a lot of people get hooked after an injury or a surgery where they require pain meds. Not proud of it, but have cracked a tooth or 4 the past few years playing fuckin men's league, and I get the teeth drilled with no shot or anesthesia. Same for fillings. And I don't take the script for pain killers. My dentist loves me. Lol.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Sadly, a lot of people get hooked after an injury or a surgery where they require pain meds. Not proud of it, but have cracked a tooth or 4 the past few years playing fuckin men's league, and I get the teeth drilled with no shot or anesthesia. Same for fillings. And I don't take the script for pain killers. My dentist loves me. Lol.
    You bring up another important issue. The current opiate epidemic has been spurred by prescription pills, often w/o any nefarious intentions. Data shows that oral surgery alone has started many on a terrible path. There was a recent report that ibuprofen and other nsaids are just as effective for oral surgery. I can vouch, like you, I've had a few and refuse any opiates.

Not enough can be said about education. Every doctor and friend should tell you immediately that opiates are highly addictive and will ruin your life. That you will begin to build a significant tolerance within a week, cravings soon after. That the drug can temporarily remove pain and cause you to forget problems, but this can be a terrible trap. And so much more.

There is so much info that everyone should have. Fortunately I developed a healthy fear of opiates when heroin was a problem in the 70's. It's easy for a kid to understand its addictive and seedy nature just by seeing the destitute in NYC, shooting up in the street. Back then, suburban medicine cabinets were not raided for "heroin" pills. Taking the drug was ugly and took effort.

Later, managing a rock band I was reintroduced to the new problem when kids (fans) were dying at festivals from ODs. Five at one 20,000K festival. The band and all of us walked the grounds all weekend to warn/talk to anyone who'd listen, about the dangers of opiates and the problems with mixing a single pill with alcohol. A reason for 2 deaths that occurred.

After this I had kidney stones and received a script for percs. Passing stones is like giving birth for five days straight. It brings you to your knees. This was my only experience with strong opiates. The first pill made me so high I stopped enjoying it thinking my respiratory system was slowing down way too much and din't want to fall asleep. By the 5th day I need 2 pills and I could feel the cravings at 4-6hours. I knew exactly what was happening and decided to deal with the rest of the recovery with a lot of advil and tylenol. If I did not have knowledge and experience regarding the power of the drug, I could see how it can lead to abuse.

So my kids know, opiates are highly addictive and dangerous. Killers. They are for hospitals and those with painful terminal illnesses. I've tried to show them the worst, the consequences. How one little seemingly harmless pill can ruin or end your life. Knowledge and prevention is the primary priority with my kids. Once abusing, everything becomes much more challenging.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12