Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alain Vigneault May Have One Game Left

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    And the team will lose more games than they lose with him because his teams bleed scoring chances against.

In his four seasons with the Stars they gave up the fifth most scoring chances against at 5-on-5. That's fifth most in the league. Add poor goaltending to that (just like he had in Dallas and late with Buffalo) and is it any wonder fans want nothing to do with him?
    And we don't have the firepower up front like Benn and Seguin to match.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    The 06-07 Sabres were the better team than the 05-06 squad. I believe that's the group you guys are talking about.
    Yea the 06-07 team was better, but I was talking about 05-06 when Vanek was a rookie.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I agree, except the kicker would be in net. The 05-06 Sabres had a .914 Ryan Miller at age 25. The 17-18 Rangers have a .900 Henrik Lundqvist at age 35.
    I'm hoping that Sean "I played with a 40-year old Hasek" Avery (LOL we gotta have some fun here) (on Boomer Esiason show) is right and "Hank has a lot more in the tank" ... or any coach we promote or bring in may be in for a rough couple of years until Shesty gets here, if the present goaltending continues. Unless, as some have said, there's a tension/malaise since the season opener that could potentially be alleviated with a coaching change. However, with the scouts and Slats out and about, maybe a double-whammy coaching change (hope it's not just a band aid but also does not mortgage the future) and trade is in the cards. That said, how do you get our team of numbnuts to more effectively cover their defensive responsibilities, especially folks getting A++ chances and space unmolested in the slot area?
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 10-31-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    AV fired yet?

Just checkin' in on ya AV! (Bill Burr voice)

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Why are so many people down on Ruff? I'm not saying he should be "the guy", I'm just curious as to why it seems like more fans are anti-Ruff.
    I like Ruff. I feel he gets a bad rap for having bad D, but looking at his past rosters, he didn't have much to work with, yet he always had a decent offensive D man that put up points. His offenses have always been a good watch.

Yet, with this reputation, he was brought in to coach the defense. Not sure why they didn't can Arniel, and put Ruff in his position, while keeping Beuk in charge of the D.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Ruff has always been a players coach. Dont confuse ruff the player from ruff the coach. He's not in the Keenan/torts mold.
    Which lends me to believe Drury had big input into bringing him here, and if that is indeed true, then you have to think he gets a longer look at the job than as a stop gap IF AV gets fired.

Senior Member Squirt Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    He’ll live to see another day following the Win over VGK.

Senior Member Midget Division Rangers's Avatar
    Saved by the bell.
    Shoot the puck!

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Which lends me to believe Drury had big input into bringing him here, and if that is indeed true, then you have to think he gets a longer look at the job than as a stop gap IF AV gets fired.
    Forgot about a possible Drury connection. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

it typically takes a lot for me to get on the 'fire the coach' train

But the moment I do they win two in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    it typically takes a lot for me to get on the 'fire the coach' train

But the moment I do they win two in a row.
    I've wanted him out for over 2 years! He doesn't even qualify to be the stick boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I've wanted him out for over 2 years! He doesn't even qualify to be the stick boy!
    more than two years? you mean right after we went to a finals and a game 7 of the ECF? damn man thats cold lol

or do you mean after our first round loss to pitt?

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    There were some that wanted him out after the Tampa series. Blaming him for not motivating the players and getting shutout in back2back home playoff games was the leading argument.

I've always been a fan of AV. I like his chill and calm attitude, looks like a good man and coach. He got us to a SCF and won the president trophy with a not so stacked to roster. I dont think he is the problem, right now this team just has to suck for atleast a season. They went all in 3-4 years and got close. Need to regroup now and try again in 2-3 years - hopefully with AV.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    There were some that wanted him out after the Tampa series. Blaming him for not motivating the players and getting shutout in back2back home playoff games was the leading argument.
    I'm always torn on this. I don't think it's on the coach, for any professional sports team, to get players motivated. But I also think AV has a system and preference for turning the other cheek that sort of promotes that kind of attitude.

It's just hard to say that a guy like Torts would get more out of this roster.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    more than two years? you mean right after we went to a finals and a game 7 of the ECF? damn man thats cold lol

or do you mean after our first round loss to pitt?
    Yeah, it was the Pitt loss! I feel this guy, with the talent that he has, can't simply get the mileage out of his players anymore. His best days are way behind him. I don't even wanna see any of the current regime take his place. I would rather see the Rangers go and dig deep and get a solid coach from outside the box.

It's not just the fact that I can't stand the guy though; I just don't see any type of system out there. Forwards are always flying the zone on the breakout and don't give the defense a real support lane to either carry or skate the puck up ice, which causes lots of turnovers. Last night that was different. They played a "unit of 5" type formation for the better part of the game; that gave guys like Shatty and especially weaker links like Staal a chance to get the puck up ice and out of the zone without being forechecked into a turnover. You guys know this shit, so I won't beat it to death.

The main reason I think this guy has to go is because he's a soft brand coach. No hitting, no real threat of a guy knocking someone on his ass. Say what you want, but when it comes to playoff hockey, I don't care how finesse a team you have, you best have guys that are going to take ZERO shit and stand up for their players. We don't...and that is because we have employed soft players for a soft coach in my estimation. I'm not tuning in to see the Ice Capades.

They don't routinely finish checks and they sure as hell don't scare any team that visits MSG. No team skates with their heads up around us; why should they? We're soft, and every team in the league knows it! Hell, our fans are tougher than the damn players!

I just think these players don't really have the drive to play for this guy anymore, and it shows! Look at last night; that was a very sound game we played against a very good team that will be making a good run at a Cup this year if they stay healthy. How can we do that against that team, and yet play like a bunch of jerk offs against a Canadiens team that can't hit themselves in the ass with both hands last Saturday night???

I dunno, just my 2 cents fellas. I wanna see Gorton unload this guy, and the sooner the better. But don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this franchise, and will live and die with them just like you guys! It kills me to watch them play like pansies!

Senior Member Squirt Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    AV off the hot seat now that we won a bit? Player trades remain a real possibility.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123