Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alain Vigneault May Have One Game Left

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    the next long-term hire must be an individual whose strengths are in teaching, developing, communicating with and empowering young players. That’s the future of this league.
    http://nypost.com/2017/10/29/alain-v...one-game-left/
    If AV is truly a goner —*and I would not expect Brooks to go out on a limb here if it were not imminent — and Ruff destined to be an interim (another assumption), it could be a long season until we get to a "long-term hire" that checks the boxes listed above.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistercosmic View Post
    Dan Boyle?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If they like what they see with McCambridge, maybe he gets the inside track this summer. Let's stay away from the Hitchcock types who play games (like benching the newly acquired Bishop for no reason other than to show how important he is as a coach) and over coach. The Suter's who play a system to steal all the creativity out of the game, etc.

We need a guy who can relate to players like Mike Yeo and likes to solve problems. He helps his teams improve areas that need work. He gets buy-in. He'll work with kids and young vets on advanced fundamentals, can implement multiple schemes and will take advantage of matchups.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 10-29-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Translation. He has until Thanksgiving.
    Dude and Bugg could be right. I expect the team to come out desperate and ready for Vegas though. They have not been tested on the road yet. If the team has another period like the other night and loses, I think he could be gone.

Vegas is the story so far. People will be watching. A home loss now and the biggest surprise this year, will be between Vegas and the Rangers.

Ruff will suck here as coach. Not sure what excites me less.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Why are so many people down on Ruff? I'm not saying he should be "the guy", I'm just curious as to why it seems like more fans are anti-Ruff.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Another retread with old ways and methods, who does not really have much new to bring to a game that has changed significantly since he had success in Buff. More Euro's, Ruskies, faster & younger players means it will be more challenging to relate. He has a bit of an authoritarian approach, can also over coach and has had doghouses in the past.

Some facts I pulled. Over the last four seasons, the Stars ranked 22rd in shot attempts. Ruff’s teams have never finished higher than 14th in an individual season over the last decade. Dallas had the fourth-worst PK in the NHL over Ruff’s tenure in Dallas. As a head coach, he has won exactly one playoff series in the last 10 seasons.

Senior Member Squirt Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    ^Nothing in those stats says he should be behind the bench even if just only on a interim basis.

Quote Originally Posted by pws85nyr View Post
    A serious question...

Can anyone think of an occasion where a coach was close to being fired, then recovered to be a success? I appreciate AV had success prior to this season, but post being fired conversations. The only one I can think of is Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Other than that I'm pretty stumped.
    [/url]
    Tom Coughlin went from about to be fired to Super Bowl Champ, twice.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistercosmic View Post
    Dan Boyle?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Dan Boyle? That Dan Boyle? I thought he retired.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    All this speculation is more exciting than watching the NYR games.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mistercosmic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Dan Boyle? That Dan Boyle? I thought he retired.
    In these days I often believe he's still on the ice. But they claim it's a guy called Schattenkoerk who's wearing number 22.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Why are so many people down on Ruff? I'm not saying he should be "the guy", I'm just curious as to why it seems like more fans are anti-Ruff.
    He doesn't really have a good track record, especially recently with Dallas. His Dallas teams were porous defensively and it's not unreasonable to think that he's at least partly responsible for the Rangers' current defensive woes.

So unless he's holding back some master plan for his ascendance to head coach, I don't really see Ruff having a large impact on the team.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    He doesn't really have a good track record, especially recently with Dallas. His Dallas teams were porous defensively and it's not unreasonable to think that he's at least partly responsible for the Rangers' current defensive woes.

So unless he's holding back some master plan for his ascendance to head coach, I don't really see Ruff having a large impact on the team.
    I think Ruff is a bit more demanding than AV - a kick in the pants might be good for a lot of guys - but for the most part I agree.

I'm not a big Ruff fan in general, but I actually think there's a lot of similarities between this Rangers roster and the Sabres 05-06 roster. They didn't have elite D, or a bonafide 1st line but won with non-stop pressure and forward depth. I don't think this team has quite the same goal-scoring talent, but a lot of what Ruff did then could apply now. I.E - what he did with Vanek could work for Buch, Briere/Drury could be Zib/Hayes, a talented 4th line can play 13:00 a night, etc. etc.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Ruff loves his grinders. lol.

People that complained about bad defense, bad system, and a coach loving fourth liners will kill themselves with ruff

Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post

Yeah, that's the unfortunate thing. Hard to get too excited about AV getting canned, since I fear the right/better/longterm solution will not be brought in during the season. Future may be right though, he could be the one year kick in the pants some guys need. Though a little different, there is a similarity to Keenan being brought in. Obviously without the full year or such control over trades, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Ruff loves his grinders. lol.

People that complained about bad defense, bad system, and a coach loving fourth liners will kill themselves with ruff
    Well the good part is he recognizes good grinders and how to forecheck. He will role 4 lines and not be afraid to play the hot line extra minutes. He is definitely more tough and has some abrasive ways, unless he's mellowed quite a bit. He understands fundamentals and the game. Not sure how evolved his understanding (of the modern game) is though. The rest of his coaching is concerning.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 10-30-2017 at 02:00 PM.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Well the good part is he recognizes good grinders and how to forecheck. He will role 4 lines and not be afraid to play the hot line extra minutes. He is definitely more tough and has some abrasive ways, unless he's mellowed quite a bit. He understands fundamentals and the game. Not sure how evolved his understanding (of the modern game) is though. The rest of his coaching is concerning.
    And the team will lose more games than they lose with him because his teams bleed scoring chances against.

In his four seasons with the Stars they gave up the fifth most scoring chances against at 5-on-5. That's fifth most in the league. Add poor goaltending to that (just like he had in Dallas and late with Buffalo) and is it any wonder fans want nothing to do with him?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I think Ruff is a bit more demanding than AV - a kick in the pants might be good for a lot of guys - but for the most part I agree.

I'm not a big Ruff fan in general, but I actually think there's a lot of similarities between this Rangers roster and the Sabres 05-06 roster. They didn't have elite D, or a bonafide 1st line but won with non-stop pressure and forward depth. I don't think this team has quite the same goal-scoring talent, but a lot of what Ruff did then could apply now. I.E - what he did with Vanek could work for Buch, Briere/Drury could be Zib/Hayes, a talented 4th line can play 13:00 a night, etc. etc.
    I agree, except the kicker would be in net. The 05-06 Sabres had a .914 Ryan Miller at age 25. The 17-18 Rangers have a .900 Henrik Lundqvist at age 35.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    The 06-07 Sabres were the better team than the 05-06 squad. I believe that's the group you guys are talking about.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Member Mite Division Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Ruff has always been a players coach. Dont confuse ruff the player from ruff the coach. He's not in the Keenan/torts mold.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Exactly, all I've ever heard is that he's a players coach, as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast