• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Last Book You Read

paddynyc

I started to read But what if we're wrong by Chuck Klosterman. It was good, but I found him a bit difficult to read. The concepts were really cool though. The subtitle is "Thinking about the present as if it were the past."

I read Tina Fey's book and it was awful, but I realize I'm not really her demographic.

And before that The Phoenix Project, which is a novel about DevOps and how companies' different departments don't talk to each other. But throughout the story, you follow this company and its people and see how Sales relies on IT, how Marketing relies on Sales, how the CEO relies on the workers, and how everything is related.

I also only read on planes, soooooo...this was over the span of like four years.

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished Phil Caputo's "A Rumor of War". He appeared on Ken Burns "The Vietnam War" for those who didn't watch it was excellent.

The book is about his time in Vietnam as a Marine.

Can someone please fix the typo in my thread? Thank you

Funny you mention this but I just finished reading 'Dispatches' by Michael Herr, and I too was inspired to read it after finishing the Burns documentary. Excellent book, incredible documentary.

Funny you mention this but I just finished reading 'Dispatches' by Michael Herr, and I too was inspired to read it after finishing the Burns documentary. Excellent book, incredible documentary.

I read "Dispatches" maybe 20+ years ago and plan on rereading the book again.

• 2 years later...
I started to read It again, haven't read it since I was a teenager, figured Id give it another read. Its going slowly because unfortunately I haven't had the time to really sit down and read. I want to read the new Weird Al book next, its supposed to be really good from what I've heard.

• 3 months later...

I finished A Scanner Darkly and while it wasn't my favourite Phillip K. Dick book, it was a good read. I didn't know until after I finished that it was very much about he and his friends and their drug usage. It made me appreciate it more having known that.

I'm currently reading The Oracle Year by Charles Soule, which so far is fantastic. Very easy read about a guy who is an oracle that knows like 100 specific things that are going to happen.

I'll probably attempt to finish or just reread Good Omens altogether. I tried picking it back up from where I left off, but definitely reached the point where I don't remember enough that's happened to just continue.

• 1 month later...

"The Day After Roswell" - Col Philip J Corso (RET) Birnes

A breathtaking expos? that reads like a thriller, The Day After Roswell is a stunning depiction of just what happened in Roswell, New Mexico all those years ago and how the effects of this mysterious unidentified aircraft crash are still relevant today.

Former member of President Eisenhower’s National Security Council and the Foreign Technology Desk in the United States Army, Colonel Philip J. Corso was assigned to work at a strange crash site in Roswell in 1947. He had no idea that his work there would change his life and the course of history forever. Only in his fascinating memoir can you discover how he helped removed alien artifacts from the site and used them to help improve much of the technology the Army uses today, such as circuit chips, fiber optics, and more.

FASCINATING!

I read Generation X by Douglas Coupland which was a solid read. It's a short glimpse into the lives of three twenty-somethings opting out of mainstream society during the early nineties.

Also The Suburbs by Eric Eidelstein, which was a critical look of Arcade Fire's album and the way we view the suburbs.

Just started Foundation by Issac Asimov and am loving it so far.

Just finished a book called Superpower by Russell Gold, which is the story of a guy I know named Mike Skelly, who spent the 2010s trying to build a set of direct current (DC) power lines that would move abundant wind power from the central plains to eastern electricity markets. Pretty niche-y, I guess, but a pretty good story about a guy and his dream, entrepreneurship, and the difficulty of building big things in 21st century America.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Any professional or amateur historians here? Enjoy the eastern portion of both world wars?

I've gobbled everything available by Pritt Buttar. I find him to be a very exciting writer in this field. Way more in depth than Kershaw or Beevor, IMO, and much less slanted.