Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Simple Solutions for the Rangers

Senior Member Midget Division
    I'd leave this team alone until the trade deadline and see what high value prospects or picks they can pluck from real contending teams. We are in a position that some might find enviable. We are tanking without actually having bad players. If we just take this season on the chin and continue to hope that everything continues to go wrong, then a stud like Dahlin comes onto a team that is a not actually awful like most lottery teams are.

Initially I was ticked about last night's loss to the Habs but I've woke up with a new perspective. Lose and lose hard for the rest of the season. Send Nash and Grabs packing at the deadline. Draft a few studs, sign Tavares, and then spend next season determining the value of players like Kreider, Miller, Hayes and Vesey. By 2019/2020 season, Andersson, Chytil, Dahlin (!), Pionk, DeAngelo, Lettieri, and Shestyorkin will all be primed and ready to make big contributions.

All it will take is an utterly awful season this season, a season with promise next year, and then a contending season the following year. Shoot, I don't even care if you keep Hank on and let him suck it up for another season or two. He'll be Shestyorkin's perfect backup in two years. Easy peasy. Sure, I know there are holes in my logic but that's what I'm using to get me through this season!

The problem with this team is chemistry. The lines seem all wrong. No one jelled last night.
    You have some individual efforts but we are not seeing a team in any sense of the word.
    Sadly it seems to me that they might pull the plug on AV on Monday. I am not sure how much
    longer they can keep going with this type of effort. It has to fall on the coach. And I don't
    want Lindy Ruff as the replacement.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot Solly View Post
    The problem with this team is chemistry. The lines seem all wrong. No one jelled last night.
    You have some individual efforts but we are not seeing a team in any sense of the word.
    Sadly it seems to me that they might pull the plug on AV on Monday. I am not sure how much
    longer they can keep going with this type of effort. It has to fall on the coach. And I don't
    want Lindy Ruff as the replacement.
    Welcome to the board! I agree with the lack of chemistry...at one point during the game last night I saw Hayes centering Zuc, and Vesey I think. I was like "That's nice...the passing will be cool but no one will shoot the puck." I hope they continue to utilize lines that can't score the rest of the season. I'm 100% on board with the tanking theory now.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Fotiu View Post
    The pace stuff is scary this early in a season but there is no reason a good team can not make up 2-4 points in 71 games.
    The pace thing is wildly overblown.

Win 5 in a row and that number changes. If a 3-7-2 stretch happened in December, people would be alarmed but the sky wouldn't be falling. They did almost exactly that - 8 points in 11 games in December - the year they went to the Cup final. The problem in a bad stretch to start the season is that you'll be playing playoff hockey way, way earlier in the year. It means we won't have the same "luxury" of lollygagging into the playoffs with a bunch of meaningless games in March, but it doesn't mean the season is over. A bad start to the season reduces your margin for error, it doesn't close the door.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'd leave this team alone until the trade deadline and see what high value prospects or picks they can pluck from real contending teams. We are in a position that some might find enviable. We are tanking without actually having bad players. If we just take this season on the chin and continue to hope that everything continues to go wrong, then a stud like Dahlin comes onto a team that is a not actually awful like most lottery teams are.
    Love the above paragraph. It was kinda the point I was making to AmericanJesus and others. There was never the need to blow the whole thing up. If we stink by TGiving, we stink. Then start subtley selling non-futures for futures and tank better. in the process. Generate bidding wars near the deadline. Hold on to the rest and execute a nice one-year rebuild.

Nor is there a need to panic and start putting guys like Hank, "on the market". You let things come to you. Like early in a large poker tourney, there is no need to force play any single weak hand. Hank needs to get back in goal anyway. We'll know where his game is, soon enough. If an opportunity arises to shed most of his salary and get something useful back, you do it. If not, maybe he is an average starter and can be that next year. Then Shesty comes over and wins the job in Camp 2019.

He's probably our best prospect, though Chytil might give him a run. Add Tkachuk or (some Ewing lottery luck) Dahlin and we are on our way.

As you said, they'll be a few other NHLers coming up. I still think Graves may be our best (most ready) Dman, who should easily become a solid 3rd pairing guy with top 4 and PP potential.

Initially I was ticked about last night's loss to the Habs but I've woke up with a new perspective. Lose and lose hard for the rest of the season.
    I get that this is what gets us through tough times, but this is where we depart. If we suck we suck. Just let it happen. Can't do anything but try to get better in the next ten games.

If it hurts too much to root, then just watch and make assessments. It lessens the pain. Mgmt certainly can't dump useful players to tank this early and coaches and players need to work to win and get better. If by TGiving it is clear we are too deep in a hole, then we begin the rebuild you suggest. If we don't know till the New Year, so be it. Let it evolve and enjoy/manage any outcome.

Send Nash and Grabs packing at the deadline. Draft a few studs, sign Tavares, and then spend next season determining the value of players like Kreider, Miller, Hayes and Vesey. By 2019/2020 season, Andersson, Chytil, Dahlin (!), Pionk, DeAngelo, Lettieri, and Shestyorkin will all be primed and ready to make big contributions.

All it will take is an utterly awful season this season, a season with promise next year, and then a contending season the following year. Shoot, I don't even care if you keep Hank on and let him suck it up for another season or two. He'll be Shestyorkin's perfect backup in two years. Easy peasy. Sure, I know there are holes in my logic but that's what I'm using to get me through this season!
    Ha! Right on.

I'll be watching to see how this all plays out. Found myself rooting hard (just not loudly) the last two games. I doubt it will change for Vegas or the Fla trip. Just too soon, doesn't feel right. We'll see.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    The pace thing is wildly overblown.

Win 5 in a row and that number changes. If a 3-7-2 stretch happened in December, people would be alarmed but the sky wouldn't be falling. They did almost exactly that - 8 points in 11 games in December - the year they went to the Cup final. The problem in a bad stretch to start the season is that you'll be playing playoff hockey way, way earlier in the year. It means we won't have the same "luxury" of lollygagging into the playoffs with a bunch of meaningless games in March, but it doesn't mean the season is over. A bad start to the season reduces your margin for error, it doesn't close the door.
    Absolutely.

However, they have to win a few ASAP and they need to go on a run sometime soon. All these home games, they are in jeopardy of digging a huge hole very soon. Probably why the coach may be on his way out. The hope that a new coach has enough time to orchestrate a turn around.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division

Initially I was ticked about last night's loss to the Habs but I've woke up with a new perspective. Lose and lose hard for the rest of the season. Send Nash and Grabs packing at the deadline. Draft a few studs, sign Tavares, and then spend next season determining the value of players like Kreider, Miller, Hayes and Vesey. By 2019/2020 season, Andersson, Chytil, Dahlin (!), Pionk, DeAngelo, Lettieri, and Shestyorkin will all be primed and ready to make big contributions.

This is where I am at too. Its how I feel with the Giants this year as well. They're so full of injuries that you may as well just embrace it and let it go. Go get some high draft picks. Injuries are the perfect excuse for a shitty season. We all know the Rangers will never tank and have a full rebuild so an injury laden season is the perfect excuse to just let it go. Don't take that as me hoping for anyone to get injured. I never wish injury to anyone...except Mike Vick. Fuck that dog murderer. As it is now, its looking like we may no have to risk anyone's health, just their ego, as their play is doing it for them. Adding a solid top draft pick to an already talented team could really turn this franchise in a much better direction.

My only fear with this season going down the shitter is Tavares maybe shying away from signing here fearing we could be headed into the same mediocrity the Isles have been in.

Senior Member Junior Division

This team has been treading water since 2015. Gotta stop pretending everything's fine. Lose and lose hard. Build for the future. They peaked in 2014. Rebuild. Do it again.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12