Thread: The Rangers' Defense is Not a Concern...Yet

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

The Rangers' Defense is Not a Concern...Yet

Let’s overreact for a second. New York Rangers’ Head Coach Alain Vigneault has already wrecked the team’s season by stapling young offensive-defenseman—and the only return left on the roster from the disastrous Stepan/Raanta to Arizona trade—Anthony “Call me Tony” DeAngelo to the press box right next to last season’s trade deadline deal revelation Brendan Smith. The coach did this in favor of putting Nick Holden and Steven Kampfer in the lineup. He has elevated Marc Staal to the top pair to replace the overused, now bought out, defenseman Dan Girardi while shifting team captain Ryan McDonagh to his unnatural right side. AV hates you, me, winning, the Rangers and America (seriously, I think I saw him kneeling during the National Anthem the other night).

A rotating crop of top-six defenders, never knowing if their next mistake so early in the season will see them shifted away from the partner they are trying to grow continuity with for one of the two more vanilla options on the roster in Holden or Kampfer is untenable. It will stifle the good work General Manager Jeff Gorton accomplished in the offseason in bringing in two offensive defensemen to better situate the pairings in an up-tempo system. Pinning them to the bench for mistakes or scratching them entirely is a move best used only once in the beginning of the year.

Click here to view the article.

Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    I feel Smith will bounce back after being scratched. No rhyme or reason but just a hunch.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers4Life View Post
    I feel Smith will bounce back after being scratched. No rhyme or reason but just a hunch.
    I think that's fair. There's no real reason to expect otherwise. Although I'm not sure he was always exactly the player in Detroit that he was at the end of the regular season and in the playoffs for us. That situation may have, for lack of a better term, amped him up for a short period of time. We'll have to see how sustainable that level of intensity is.

Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Maybe he's one of those players that seem to excel more in pressure moments, like the playoffs. I didn't watch any of his games in Detroit so I was pleasantly surprised when he came here and became a solid player. Only time will tell which version we have.

Moderator Junior Division
    I worry that the emphasis for Smith - from him and AV - is that he needs to be more of a puck mover to be in the top 4. If he's overthinking in that regard, it will be hard for him to recover.

My biggest gripe with AV is that he doesn't just let guys play their game. Smith had that luxury last year because he needed time to get acclimated to the system, but won't have it now.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers4Life View Post
    Maybe he's one of those players that seem to excel more in pressure moments, like the playoffs. I didn't watch any of his games in Detroit so I was pleasantly surprised when he came here and became a solid player. Only time will tell which version we have.
    I think I recall at the time of the trade some words of warning that when Smith was engaged and playing at the top of his game, he played solid defense and picked his spots for physicality well. When he wasn't, he'd run out of position for a hit and would take bad penalties. Last season we saw the former, so far (and it's been preseason and two regular season games) we've seen much more of the later.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Looking at Smith's SMH reactions to his own flubs during the game, it was clear to me he knew he screwed up on at least one of those goals. He gets a message he needs to be more ready to play. We need his defensive intensity and aptitude. But on what line ultimately I could not say. Could he shore up an inexperienced DeAngelo? unless there is some other problem we don't know about, I think this will be a speed bump for him and he'll be back. One thing various seasons have taught me is u need defensive depth beyond the 6 slot and to have it ready, it also needs to be nurtured somewhat. No need to panic here.

That Team D porosity could easily be a weakness, we already knew that going into the season, so AV has injected a note of competition for ice time. Maybe it'll even work. I'll try to suspend judgment for a while I hope, before going off the deep or shallow end.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    The word from Dave Maloney (in his interview with Scott L and Patrick O'Sullivan) is that Smith had "whole lot going on this off season" from getting married, moving, honeymoon and other obligations that he did not do much skating or any real cardio work, even if he did weight training. Maloney surmised that he was breathing heavy and scrambling to keep up with the speedy Leafs at the end of shifts. Since he had a bad game and was given responsibility for a goal, "AV is sending a message", especially while he has 8 Dmen and doesn't want to keep any of them in the pressbox, every night.

Early in the season, unsettled pairs and the luxury of 8 Dmen seems to mean that AV can use the competition to ratchet up the play of the D and sit anyone that has a bad game. My guess is until things settle in more and the winning begins, we'll see the juggling continue.

Personally, I think the cream will rise to the top and that Smith will be the same guy we saw in the playoffs w/o all the intensity, yet still physical. He may just need an extra week or two. Smith was a good player in Detroit and he will be fine here. When the playoffs begin (if we make it), I expect him to be as tough and physical as last year.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    Looking at Smith's SMH reactions to his own flubs during the game, it was clear to me he knew he screwed up on at least one of those goals. He gets a message he needs to be more ready to play. No need to panic here.

That Team D porosity could easily be a weakness, we already knew that going into the season, so AV has injected a note of competition for ice time. Maybe it'll even work. I'll try to suspend judgment for a while I hope, before going off the deep or shallow end.
    Blue, sorry I just noticed I said a few things you did. You made a bunch of good insights above (w/o the benefit of hearing Maloney) that I wanted to highlight.

Also, I don't believe the Rangers (particularly the coach) showcases players. However, I would not be surprised if Gorton and AV discussed playing all 8 early in the season to see what we have. Of course if we see what we got, so do other teams.

Sidenote: We won't be able to trade Staal unless he plays every night and looks like he had a rejuvenation. We won't be able to trade Holden unless he plays a good amount and purports himself well. The team probably feels that we'll have plenty of time to work with DeAngelo and as a 21 y/o he does not need to be in the lineup every night this early in the season.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 10-13-2017 at 09:23 AM.