Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 81

Thread: Let's Have Another Conversation

  1. #41
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,172
    Rep Power
    366
    Bloggers and blog readers tend to be a bit more refined than your average Facebook user. They tend to understand a bit more, given the content we cover. Things like the salary cap, CBA, etc.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #42
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,797
    Rep Power
    70
    I get C4C is a different format, allowing for longer posts/more detail/more analytics.

    But the first two or three paragraphs of a C4C blog (in the past) would have been the start of a thread in BSBH, and sparked a lot of conversation here.

    So it may be a big ask to have the same people adding content for both C4C and BSBH without either one or the other suffering.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  3. #43
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,087
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Bloggers and blog readers tend to be a bit more refined than your average Facebook user. They tend to understand a bit more, given the content we cover. Things like the salary cap, CBA, etc.
    So that eliminates guys like me.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  4. #44
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,172
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I get C4C is a different format, allowing for longer posts/more detail/more analytics.

    But the first two or three paragraphs of a C4C blog (in the past) would have been the start of a thread in BSBH, and sparked a lot of conversation here.

    So it may be a big ask to have the same people adding content for both C4C and BSBH without either one or the other suffering.
    They still do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    So that eliminates guys like me.
    You fall under the "etc" part.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #45
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,087
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    They still do.



    You fall under the "etc" part.
    Can you be a little more clear, please? Lol
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  6. #46
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,172
    Rep Power
    366
    You can hang in these circles just fine. They can't. They're often lost at something as fundamental as salary cap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #47
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,087
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    You can hang in these circles just fine. They can't. They're often lost at something as fundamental as salary cap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Barely, though. I probably know less than basics. I'll always read here or ask here when it comes to those topics.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  8. #48
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,631
    Rep Power
    36
    I must be just ignorant to some of this but I've actually felt there have been some new faces or old members appearing more frequently. I also think activity kind of follows the actual Rangers season. If they look like they suck or are destined for an average season, I think human nature plays a large part and people stay away. Why keep reading stuff that just ends up annoying you?

  9. #49
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,087
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I must be just ignorant to some of this but I've actually felt there have been some new faces or old members appearing more frequently. I also think activity kind of follows the actual Rangers season. If they look like they suck or are destined for an average season, I think human nature plays a large part and people stay away. Why keep reading stuff that just ends up annoying you?
    I disagree. Remember 11/12 season? One of 3 of the best teams in hockey, thee best team in the EC, and 1/2 of the board wanted Torts fired because Hagelin wasn't on the powerplay. Then there was 14/15 when they won the President's Trophy yet the bullshit continued. Now you have everyone killing AV. These are the same people that wanted Torts fired. All the complaining comes mid season, it just gets worse in the playoffs. People think everyone sucks or is stupid when their team loses in the post season, yet just 1% actually come up with a reasonable, possible solution or actual reasons why they lost and what they need to work on. Vicious cycle that will never end if you keep the same guys around posting, kinda like a bad hockey team.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  10. #50
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,529
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    As for this conversation, see your post. This is exactly what I mentioned.

    So welcoming of those with differing opinions...

    You challenge a new posters opinion or comment like that, you think they'll come back?
    What are you talking about? I'm genuinely trying to understand when you think you get persecuted for constructive criticism because I don't think it happens. The fact that you can't give me an example only reinforces that.

  11. #51
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,529
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I get C4C is a different format, allowing for longer posts/more detail/more analytics.

    But the first two or three paragraphs of a C4C blog (in the past) would have been the start of a thread in BSBH, and sparked a lot of conversation here.

    So it may be a big ask to have the same people adding content for both C4C and BSBH without either one or the other suffering.
    Most of the C4C writers are the guys that start threads. Why are people so put off by the blog? It's basically just a thread starter thats linked rather than posted entirely on BSBH.

  12. #52
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,087
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Most of the C4C writers are the guys that start threads. Why are people so put off by the blog? It's basically just a thread starter thats linked rather than posted entirely on BSBH.
    I think that's the exact reason why it's a turnoff for some. People are here everyday, on and off 20 times a day, and started to feel a sense of unity with each other, kinda like a hockey team does. Then that tight, united feeling goes away when you're commercializing it. It was a mom & pop shop until C4C turned it into a Home Depot. For what? Quantity? We can revisit my feelings on that again, but I think you get it.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  13. #53
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,529
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I think that's the exact reason why it's a turnoff for some. People are here everyday, on and off 20 times a day, and started to feel a sense of unity with each other, kinda like a hockey team does. Then that tight, united feeling goes away when you're commercializing it. It was a mom & pop shop until C4C turned it into a Home Depot. For what? Quantity? We can revisit my feelings on that again, but I think you get it.
    I get what you're saying, I just don't agree at all. It's not like C4C is raking in cash, and it's not additional quantity at all...how many more threads are there now than last year at the beginning of the season? Really, the only change on the board, is that you might have to click an extra link.

    Like, why would it be a turnoff? How is "Oh this is a good thread by AmericanJesus" any different than "Oh, this is a cool article by Dave." That's as simple as it has to be but, for whatever reason, people seem salty about it. Anyone can make a thread, and anyone can write for C4C. There's literally no change in content on the forum.

  14. #54
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,087
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I get what you're saying, I just don't agree at all. It's not like C4C is raking in cash, and it's not additional quantity at all...how many more threads are there now than last year at the beginning of the season? Really, the only change on the board, is that you might have to click an extra link.

    Like, why would it be a turnoff? How is "Oh this is a good thread by AmericanJesus" any different than "Oh, this is a cool article by Dave." That's as simple as it has to be but, for whatever reason, people seem salty about it. Anyone can make a thread, and anyone can write for C4C. There's literally no change in content on the forum.
    Mike, it's just the feeling of it. I don't disagree with your point, it makes sense, it has logic, but sometimes the feel could be wrong. It's like criticizing a coach for mixing lines up. Why is X with Y? Also, not that it's a huge deal, but articles are generally longer than a thread starting post.

    In addition, and I'm not being mean here, but reporters are barely respected in all sports by athletes and coaches, how do you think they feel about bloggers? Now, Phil, Ray, Dave, etc ... are all good dudes that I know on a little personal level, some better than others, and I respect their opinions even if I don't agree. That's not the case with everyone else. I'm not talking specifically about C4C, I mean all of them. Phil even said above that "Bloggers and blog readers tend to be a bit more refined than your average Facebook user. They tend to understand a bit more, given the content we cover. Things like the salary cap, CBA, etc." A bit more refined, maybe, but I read the shit online on other blogs, and it's embarrassing. You can have 1 imbecile write something, and 4,000 people jump on board because they have no clue. Here are 2 perfect examples today:
    Brooks' article title: Vigneault's Line Experiments Have Only Lead To Rangers Confusion. Really? Nothing in his article suggests that the New York Rangers are confused and HE HAS ACCESS TO THEM ! What happens? 500 people agree with him in the comments. 400 of them didn't read the article, 95 of them can't read at all, and the other 5 tell him he's overreacting.

    Now here's a headline from a blog today: Alaign Vigneault's Decision Making Is Now Jeff Gorton's Problem. Really? Do I need to explain why this is a fuckin joke, or do you see where I'm going?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  15. #55
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,529
    Rep Power
    111
    I don't really see where you're going, to be honest. If it just feels different, fine, I can sort of understand that. But any emotion beyond "Hey, these guys started a blog, cool" and "Shit, I have to click another link" just seems like a stretch to me.

    Who do you mean by "everyone else"? Just other bloggers? The guys you mentioned are generally the ones writing on C4C. I actually don't agree with Phil about bloggers in general - a lot of them lack any insight at all - but none of that gets posted here so I don't see why it's relevant. Linking a blog that was started by members here and features their writing is bad because some other blogs are bad? But you also don't like Brooks' articles because of the way people respond? Kinda lost me.

  16. #56
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,087
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I don't really see where you're going, to be honest. If it just feels different, fine, I can sort of understand that. But any emotion beyond "Hey, these guys started a blog, cool" and "Shit, I have to click another link" just seems like a stretch to me.

    Who do you mean by "everyone else"? Just other bloggers? The guys you mentioned are generally the ones writing on C4C. I actually don't agree with Phil about bloggers in general - a lot of them lack any insight at all - but none of that gets posted here so I don't see why it's relevant. Linking a blog that was started by members here and features their writing is bad because some other blogs are bad? But you also don't like Brooks' articles because of the way people respond? Kinda lost me.
    Yes, I mean other blogs/bloggers. You're asking the reasoning, and I'm giving you my opinion on it. Josh wasn't giving you anything at all. I'm trying to explain it as best as I could and there's just disagreement, which is ok, but then don't question Josh when he doesn't want to get into explaining himself. This is probably why he and others do that.
    Last edited by Mikey37; 10-12-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  17. #57
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,529
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Yes, I mean other blogs/bloggers. You're asking the reasoning, and I'm giving you my opinion on it. Josh wasn't giving you anything at all. I'm trying to explain it as best as I could and there's just disagreement, which is ok, but then don't question Josh when he doesn't want to get into explaining himself. This is probably why he and others do that.
    Well, the Josh comment was entirely separate from the blog discussion. But I genuinely don't know what he means when he says he's being persecuted for constructive criticism. It's not unfair to ask for some type of clarification or example of that just as it's not unfair for him to hold that opinion if there's any merit to it.

    Just, hypothetically using your point about line juggling...Let's say I make a post saying Rick Nash should play 20 minutes a night. Here are the responses:

    A) Nah, he only scored 20 goals in his last billion games.
    B) I watch the games, he doesn't put in enough effort to earn that.
    C) No, YOU'RE AN EFFING IDIOT. Nash is a pussy and his kids won't survive the winter.

    Only one of those posts is going to get any response from mods. We all know that.

    So if Josh, or anyone else, feels the way he does, he/she should probably show us the posts that they got "persecuted" for. Another poster, a mod, or anyone else asking someone to clarify a point 1) isn't persecution, it's discussion and 2) doesn't need to trigger some response about not being welcome. To me, it's a little disingenuous for you to say that quality is more important than quantity of posts, and then have a problem with folks being asked to simply explain a position.

  18. #58
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,457
    Rep Power
    323
    There's a lot to cover here and I'll try to do it quickly.

    1) People that think they see a problem with the forum are, as we're showing in this thread, very welcome to discuss it.

    2) Just because you see a problem doesn't mean we'll agree or not have questions about why you think what you do (that's to Mikey's defense of Josh above).

    3) The blog lets those of us who like writing long form to do it while also bringing in some snippets and a link that, as Mikey pointed out, is very similar to what we would do before the blog.

    4) The blog is also a different net to throw out that can bring new people to the forum. We push an article on Twitter or Facebook, someone reads it and wants to comment on the article, they have to come here and register to do that.

    5) As to the blog generated content, would the opinion be different if the articles were posted from our personal forum accounts rather than the generic ClearedForContact bot? Would that help the optics?

  19. #59
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,087
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Well, the Josh comment was entirely separate from the blog discussion. But I genuinely don't know what he means when he says he's being persecuted for constructive criticism. It's not unfair to ask for some type of clarification or example of that just as it's not unfair for him to hold that opinion if there's any merit to it.

    Just, hypothetically using your point about line juggling...Let's say I make a post saying Rick Nash should play 20 minutes a night. Here are the responses:

    A) Nah, he only scored 20 goals in his last billion games.
    B) I watch the games, he doesn't put in enough effort to earn that.
    C) No, YOU'RE AN EFFING IDIOT. Nash is a pussy and his kids won't survive the winter.

    Only one of those posts is going to get any response from mods. We all know that.

    So if Josh, or anyone else, feels the way he does, he/she should probably show us the posts that they got "persecuted" for. Another poster, a mod, or anyone else asking someone to clarify a point 1) isn't persecution, it's discussion and 2) doesn't need to trigger some response about not being welcome. To me, it's a little disingenuous for you to say that quality is more important than quantity of posts, and then have a problem with folks being asked to simply explain a position.
    It's just my opinion. I can't speak for Josh. Maybe he feels he has enough history here that the other mods and long time members know what he's talking about.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  20. #60
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,457
    Rep Power
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    It's just my opinion. I can't speak for Josh. Maybe he feels he has enough history here that the other mods and long time members know what he's talking about.
    Right, but those who have talked to him here have been pretty clear that they're not sure what he's talking about.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •