Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 101

Thread: Let's Have Another Conversation

  1. #61
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,102
    Rep Power
    274
    1) People that think they see a problem with the forum are, as we're showing in this thread, very welcome to discuss it.

    2) Just because you see a problem doesn't mean we'll agree or not have questions about why you think what you do (that's to Mikey's defense of Josh above).

    3) The blog lets those of us who like writing long form to do it while also bringing in some snippets and a link that, as Mikey pointed out, is very similar to what we would do before the blog.

    4) The blog is also a different net to throw out that can bring new people to the forum. We push an article on Twitter or Facebook, someone reads it and wants to comment on the article, they have to come here and register to do that.

    5) As to the blog generated content, would the opinion be different if the articles were posted from our personal forum accounts rather than the generic ClearedForContact bot? Would that help the optics?[/QUOTE]



    [QUOTE=AmericanJesus;897953]There's a lot to cover here and I'll try to do it quickly.



    1) .... and happy to discuss/help

    2) Understood, and fair. It's just my opinion though. I'm not disputing the reply, so disagreeing with what I'm saying while asking for reasons why X,Y, and Z feel this way is not helping. I'd rather have "We'll look into it". No one can tell another person that their inner feelings are wrong.
    Q:"Why do you feel this way"
    A: (lists reasons)
    Q: "Disagree"
    A: "Ok" lol

    3 & 4) I get that, and you guys do a good job, no doubt, but like you said "they have to come here and register to do that." That's what attracts potential blog followers and other bloggers.

    5) On the exterior, probably, because then it's just another article. Internally, we know the path it could take.

    For the record, I like C4C. I think you guys do a good job for the most part. Just don't turn into the others.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  2. #62
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,464
    Rep Power
    324
    I looked at the "posting from our user accounts rather than the generic C4C one" and it's a pretty big hassle in the software. It would have to be reconfigured every time we posted an article on the blog. So it's probably not going to be possible after all.

    As to #2, yeah, I get that. And if we haven't made it perfectly clear, every time we get some feedback as to the forum, we discuss it among the moderation group separately even as we discuss it here with the people making the suggestions. And we've adopted plenty of suggestions when we've agreed that they have merit.

    I'm guessing that all the active members know we spend a lot of time/effort (and in Phil's case money, too) in keeping the forum going. Our primary interest is content/discussion quality. All the decisions we make about this place have that in mind. It really isn't a traffic thing, because the forum and the blog too aren't money making enterprises, they're money losing ones. What we want is a quality place to discuss topics that interest us. Phil has often said, if it ends up being 10 people having a really great discussion, then that's fine with him. It's fine with me, too. And hopefully with everyone.

    We of course would prefer 10,000 people all actively having really great discussions, but that's probably not going to happen.

  3. #63
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,102
    Rep Power
    274
    I'll pay for the forum if Phil gives me full control of the ban button.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  4. #64
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,618
    Rep Power
    180
    Open it up
    Laissez faire

    Let the boys be boys



    And have the blog/blog threads for more serious discussion

  5. #65
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Shane Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    11,549
    Rep Power
    88
    I was debating whether or not to chime in here because some, if not a lot of what I wanted to say already has been addressed. But here goes:

    It's inevitable that this forum would evolve over time. They all do. But one of the problems I saw happening for a while now was this almost elitist approach to how people should express themselves. I usually have no issues with how people chose to post. Whether it be a mini essay or terse response to each his own. However, there were plenty of members here who didn't appreciate that kind answer. And I get it. Intelligent conversation was something this forum always wants to inspire/provoke. But you know what, that's not always what you'll get. Especially from sports fans. There are the well educated to the overly emotional. It just comes with the territory. Now, please don't interpret that as having to lower ones standards or approach to conversation. That's not what I'm saying at all. I just think tolerance is something that escaped this place for a while. Not with everyone but with more than enough members to make it a problem. An example: This place became incredibly difficult/annoying to deal with once advanced stats became the thing. I don't know about other people, but I honestly felt opinions weren't well received without empirical evidence to support it. Again, I don't mind the fact that these conversations and approach to the game exist. But it doesn't mean posts that aren't supported in such a way should be so heavily challenged or frowned upon always. Not everyone is inclined or looking to get into a 10 page debate.

    I realize this alone is a complex issue especially considering how well versed and passionate many of the members are here. But at the very core of what this forum was meant to be (at least to me) that got lost somehow. I wish I had specific solutions to offer but I don't other know advising people to put their ego aside and know when to step back. It's okay to get at each other's throats from time to time, but humility and maturity should not disappear as a consequence.

    For the most part, we are all adults here. A bit more acceptance and lax attitude towards differences will go a long way.

    I honestly had more to say, but got distracted in the process. If and when more comes to me, I'll add to this.

  6. #66
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,575
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    I don't know about other people, but I honestly felt opinions weren't well received without empirical evidence to support it. Again, I don't mind the fact that these conversations and approach to the game exist. But it doesn't mean posts that aren't supported in such a way should be so heavily challenged or frowned upon always. Not everyone is inclined or looking to get into a 10 page debate.
    I feel like you're not the first person to say this, but I don't understand it. Someone asking "why" or asking a poster to prove a statement isn't an insult or a challenge. It's generating discussion. If you don't want to get into a long debate, you don't have to respond. Idk, it just seems like a weird thing to be turned off by.

    I'm also failing to see the connection between this and "acceptance towards differences." What is not being accepted?

  7. #67
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,203
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    I was debating whether or not to chime in here because some, if not a lot of what I wanted to say already has been addressed. But here goes:

    It's inevitable that this forum would evolve over time. They all do. But one of the problems I saw happening for a while now was this almost elitist approach to how people should express themselves. I usually have no issues with how people chose to post. Whether it be a mini essay or terse response to each his own. However, there were plenty of members here who didn't appreciate that kind answer. And I get it. Intelligent conversation was something this forum always wants to inspire/provoke. But you know what, that's not always what you'll get. Especially from sports fans. There are the well educated to the overly emotional. It just comes with the territory. Now, please don't interpret that as having to lower ones standards or approach to conversation. That's not what I'm saying at all. I just think tolerance is something that escaped this place for a while. Not with everyone but with more than enough members to make it a problem. An example: This place became incredibly difficult/annoying to deal with once advanced stats became the thing. I don't know about other people, but I honestly felt opinions weren't well received without empirical evidence to support it. Again, I don't mind the fact that these conversations and approach to the game exist. But it doesn't mean posts that aren't supported in such a way should be so heavily challenged or frowned upon always. Not everyone is inclined or looking to get into a 10 page debate.

    I realize this alone is a complex issue especially considering how well versed and passionate many of the members are here. But at the very core of what this forum was meant to be (at least to me) that got lost somehow. I wish I had specific solutions to offer but I don't other know advising people to put their ego aside and know when to step back. It's okay to get at each other's throats from time to time, but humility and maturity should not disappear as a consequence.

    For the most part, we are all adults here. A bit more acceptance and lax attitude towards differences will go a long way.

    I honestly had more to say, but got distracted in the process. If and when more comes to me, I'll add to this.
    The analytics thing is a very fair point, and thank you for making it (publicly). I've actually had a few private conversations about it, too, which is why, if you've noticed, it hasn't been as dominant a theme. At least in my posting. I still value them, arguably, more than others, but I recognize the barrier to entry with them, which is why when I use them now, I tend to build them into a C4C article as part of a bigger angle than just posting up a HERO chart here to try and prove a point.

    But I think what's really being pointed out here is intimidation, not persecution (or any of the other terms we've seen used). And that I can personally appreciate. Becuase I was equally intimidated by them for years. I'm still intimidated by the newer ones that come out every year that I have to re-learn just to understand what I'm looking at and why it's relevant.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #68
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Shane Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    11,549
    Rep Power
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I feel like you're not the first person to say this, but I don't understand it. Someone asking "why" or asking a poster to prove a statement isn't an insult or a challenge. It's generating discussion. If you don't want to get into a long debate, you don't have to respond. Idk, it just seems like a weird thing to be turned off by.

    I'm also failing to see the connection between this and "acceptance towards differences." What is not being accepted?
    I agree, and there lies the complication. In regards to differences I'm referring to difference of opinion or even something as trivial as posting style. How often do you see two or more (stubborn) people go at it for pages unable to simply say "agree to disagree." There's also people are for example sarcastic by nature and often respond that way. Which I get can strikes a cord. But when it's not blatant trolling but just someone "shootin the shit" I don't think it's too much to ask to just let it slide.

    Again, I'm not singling the mods out here, plenty of members do it too. I'm just stating observations I've made over the years. I'm a pretty lax person when it comes to most things so I often don't get involved in issues such as these. But if I'm not getting my point across, by all means continue to ask. I'll do my best to respond.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    The analytics thing is a very fair point, and thank you for making it (publicly). I've actually had a few private conversations about it, too, which is why, if you've noticed, it hasn't been as dominant a theme. At least in my posting. I still value them, arguably, more than others, but I recognize the barrier to entry with them, which is why when I use them now, I tend to build them into a C4C article as part of a bigger angle than just posting up a HERO chart here to try and prove a point.

    But I think what's really being pointed out here is intimidation, not persecution (or any of the other terms we've seen used). And that I can personally appreciate. Becuase I was equally intimidated by them for years. I'm still intimidated by the newer ones that come out every year that I have to re-learn just to understand what I'm looking at and why it's relevant.
    Eh, it can easily go from one to the other depending on the person. You don't have to look very hard in discussions over the years to see when people jumped down each other's throats. I wish I had solutions to give ya but I suppose discussing all of this is a good start.

  9. #69
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,813
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    I agree, and there lies the complication. In regards to differences I'm referring to difference of opinion or even something as trivial as posting style. How often do you see two or more (stubborn) people go at it for pages unable to simply say "agree to disagree." There's also people are for example sarcastic by nature and often respond that way. Which I get can strikes a cord. But when it's not blatant trolling but just someone "shootin the shit" I don't think it's too much to ask to just let it slide.

    Again, I'm not singling the mods out here, plenty of members do it too. I'm just stating observations I've made over the years. I'm a pretty lax person when it comes to most things so I often don't get involved in issues such as these. But if I'm not getting my point across, by all means continue to ask. I'll do my best to respond.



    Eh, it can easily go from one to the other depending on the person. You don't have to look very hard in discussions over the years to see when people jumped down each other's throats. I wish I had solutions to give ya but I suppose discussing all of this is a good start.
    I've seen threads die because two users hijack the conversation like this, and other users won't post for a day or two in the thread until things calm down. If you've been around awhile, not as big of a deal as for new users, who are more likely to be intimidated.

    If people get angry, I wish they would take a few hours or a day away from the blog.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  10. #70
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,813
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    There's a lot to cover here and I'll try to do it quickly.

    1) People that think they see a problem with the forum are, as we're showing in this thread, very welcome to discuss it.

    2) Just because you see a problem doesn't mean we'll agree or not have questions about why you think what you do (that's to Mikey's defense of Josh above).

    3) The blog lets those of us who like writing long form to do it while also bringing in some snippets and a link that, as Mikey pointed out, is very similar to what we would do before the blog.

    4) The blog is also a different net to throw out that can bring new people to the forum. We push an article on Twitter or Facebook, someone reads it and wants to comment on the article, they have to come here and register to do that.

    5) As to the blog generated content, would the opinion be different if the articles were posted from our personal forum accounts rather than the generic ClearedForContact bot? Would that help the optics?
    If there's a difference in perceived quality (ClearedforContact better than BSBH) that would probably be the main issue. If well-researched, thoughtful posts were reserved for ClearedforContact and BSBH became focused on Game Day threads, injury announcements, demotions, etc. that would be the biggest problem.

    As long as there is cross-posting in both it shouldn't be a problem. But it might be a perception problem for some users, who don't understand the motivation (traffic etc)
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  11. #71
    Senior Member Squirt Division Nicky Fotiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    This is something forums across the entire internet are struggling with. Even the giants. Twitter, Facebook, even Disqus have taken over.
    I have seen that on many boards but I meant that they literally could not add new posters. People couldn't sign up to be new posters even though they wanted to join that board.

  12. #72
    Senior Member Squirt Division Nicky Fotiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    This board was strong when it was allowed to be.
    Added a ton of mods, all wanting say, and it censored the discussion and ... then it got boring and people left. No longer unique and original.

    Same thing with WBB, too. Once it gets popular, admin wants to change it up. It's been an epic failure for both.
    That could be true but new posters literally could not join that board despite trying to join it.

  13. #73
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,232
    Rep Power
    39
    We should just go back to the chat style way the original board was with the topics on the left and the discussion on the right

    But in all seriousness I am surprised so many people feel like the discussions on here are being curtailed.. Maybe its because I attempt to avoid overly confrontational discussions (and its not because I am better than anyone but because I secretly fear being that guy who gets pissed off over a comment he read online lol) but I also always felt the mods did a decent job of not letting topics get off rail with angry and often demeaning posts. I mean its inevitable that people will have differences of opinion but there are certainly ways in which things can be discussed without it becoming a sh*t show. Hell, even at its worst this is above and beyond any other hockey/rangers platform out there. Even the posters that I dont particularly like or agree with I can easily put up with because at the very least the majority of the responses are intelligent (even if I find them to be wrong). Like others have said its hard to maintain a forum from a user perspective and even harder for it not to evolve in some shape or form.

    Compound that with the fact that Phil runs this place on his own accord when he could essentially just say f*ck it and let it go to hell. Mind you he does this without some of the obnoxious advertising that is spammed all over other forums.

    Maybe the alternative is to have a separate "No holds barred" section where can vent their frustrations out on one another with fewer restrictions?

    I dunno- just my 2 cents.


  14. #74
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,813
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    We should just go back to the chat style way the original board was with the topics on the left and the discussion on the right

    But in all seriousness I am surprised so many people feel like the discussions on here are being curtailed.. Maybe its because I attempt to avoid overly confrontational discussions (and its not because I am better than anyone but because I secretly fear being that guy who gets pissed off over a comment he read online lol) but I also always felt the mods did a decent job of not letting topics get off rail with angry and often demeaning posts. I mean its inevitable that people will have differences of opinion but there are certainly ways in which things can be discussed without it becoming a sh*t show. Hell, even at its worst this is above and beyond any other hockey/rangers platform out there. Even the posters that I dont particularly like or agree with I can easily put up with because at the very least the majority of the responses are intelligent (even if I find them to be wrong). Like others have said its hard to maintain a forum from a user perspective and even harder for it not to evolve in some shape or form.

    Compound that with the fact that Phil runs this place on his own accord when he could essentially just say f*ck it and let it go to hell. Mind you he does this without some of the obnoxious advertising that is spammed all over other forums.

    Maybe the alternative is to have a separate "No holds barred" section where can vent their frustrations out on one another with fewer restrictions?

    I dunno- just my 2 cents.

    I would love a 'Fight Club' thread where two users would just agree to slug it out.


    Unfortunately would probably would result in users getting disciplined, but would be great entertainment value for the neutral observers, and the combatants could blow off steam
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  15. #75
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,203
    Rep Power
    366
    On paper that makes sense, but think practically about this. What are the chances that whatever happens in the Fight Club would stay in the Fight Club and not bleed out and follow users around? Especially those who "lose" a fight? I simply don't trust it for exactly that reason. Not to mention, what happens when two users disagree and only one wants to "fight"? Or worse yet, what happens when seven strongly disagree with one and all want to fight? We are already fighting the idea of dog piling. How would this help, at all?


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #76
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,203
    Rep Power
    366
    I'm curious, so I'm putting this out there to see if it doesn't draw out some clearer answers. Given the size of the forum and the size of the Staff, is the latter perhaps part of the perception issue? What I mean by that is with the Staff being made up of most of the forum's "heavy" and like-minded users, perhaps that's creating the illusion of oppression? I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of others here and in doing so I can see how that might be intimidating given how difficult it is to participate in a thread without a moderator present and active in it. Worse yet, if your opinion on a topic conflicts with most of the users in a thread, and especially the forum Staff members, I can see how that might lead someone to think that their opinion isn't as welcome if it's not "correct". If it doesn't align perfectly with what might be seen as hive mind.

    Again, I'm not going to fire everyone over this, but I do wonder if this isn't aiding in the perception of groupthink versus dissenting opinion?


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #77
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,618
    Rep Power
    180
    Mods are all "birds of a feather"
    Sometimes, if an opinion is made, that doesn't go along with your views, it, at times, seems there is an agenda to squash it. Not that there is "oppression", but can be seen as an attempt to censor some opinions... which I mentioned, goes against the initial reason you opened the forum. Sometimes the snippy responses from mods are very condescending, especially when 2 or 3 come in to do the same thing. It comes off as "this post/opinion isn't accepted here", and has a much different vibe than Mikes thread.

    You have c4c as your structured discussions, so I don't see why the forum can't be a little "looser". I don't mean inappropriate slurs and stuff, but a little more relaxed environment. This has been an escape for people for years, so it sucks to rip toe around things and for mods to get stressed about this place. As I've been saying, open it up, allow and encourage a little more 'open' discussion (within reason), and more structured convo with c4c blogs and corresponding threads. As of right now, you have a blog and a forum that are exactly the same. It's a bit redundant.


    "Penalty box" - nah. I suggested it in the past, but nah.

  18. #78
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,203
    Rep Power
    366
    Well, that's the thing — they're not. Some of us do agree, but that's actually been something I've actively kept in mind when adding new Staff members in recent years, which is why I brought on those with very different political leanings, for example, like Future and Puck Head, the former of whom I routinely disagree with on topics from politics to hockey.

    But, I can see how the number can lead to the perception that they are (birds of a feather). That, to me, is probably what's happening here more than actual oppression or stifling.

    The thing is, I could offer a smaller Staff, but would that actually solve an issue like you mentioned? Say a thread opens up on the value of Nick Holden and ten users all think he's effectively worthless and you think he's a reliable depth defenseman. Is it still, let's call it supppression, for lack of a better term, if most of the names aren't bolded?

    As to the suggestion of looser threads versus stricter ones, I'm not sure we don't already have that. I've seen some threads (whether originally posted as a C4C blog or not) that generate a ton of back-and-forth discussion with charts and graphs and data, and others that are way more jovial. I think that's entirely driven by the subject matter. A thread on determining Zibanejad's contract value is far more likely to be in depth versus one talking about the Rangers needing Tanner Glass back. You know?
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #79
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,464
    Rep Power
    324
    I know it's a pain in the ass, but can someone who is trying to point out an issue they see dig up a thread that has a good example of it? I'm still a little confused as to what the problem is.

  20. #80
    Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,078
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I would love a 'Fight Club' thread where two users would just agree to slug it out.


    Unfortunately would probably would result in users getting disciplined, but would be great entertainment value for the neutral observers, and the combatants could blow off steam
    The first rule of Fight Club is You Don't Talk About Fight Club!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    On paper that makes sense, but think practically about this. What are the chances that whatever happens in the Fight Club would stay in the Fight Club and not bleed out and follow users around? Especially those who "lose" a fight? I simply don't trust it for exactly that reason. Not to mention, what happens when two users disagree and only one wants to "fight"? Or worse yet, what happens when seven strongly disagree with one and all want to fight? We are already fighting the idea of dog piling. How would this help, at all?


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    The first rule of Fight Club is You Don't Talk About Fight Club!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I'm curious, so I'm putting this out there to see if it doesn't draw out some clearer answers. Given the size of the forum and the size of the Staff, is the latter perhaps part of the perception issue? What I mean by that is with the Staff being made up of most of the forum's "heavy" and like-minded users, perhaps that's creating the illusion of oppression? I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of others here and in doing so I can see how that might be intimidating given how difficult it is to participate in a thread without a moderator present and active in it. Worse yet, if your opinion on a topic conflicts with most of the users in a thread, and especially the forum Staff members, I can see how that might lead someone to think that their opinion isn't as welcome if it's not "correct". If it doesn't align perfectly with what might be seen as hive mind.

    Again, I'm not going to fire everyone over this, but I do wonder if this isn't aiding in the perception of groupthink versus dissenting opinion?


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    This is a conversation that the admin/mod team is having on another board which I help to moderate. I was opposed to the idea. I don't get spooked or feel less inclined to post in a topic just because I might have an opposing view of an admin or mod member who is also participating in the discussion. I am actually very curious to see how others feel about this so please, for the sake of this board and my other one, speak up gents. I'd love to hear feedback on this just as these guys would.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •