Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Let's Have Another Conversation

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    I was debating whether or not to chime in here because some, if not a lot of what I wanted to say already has been addressed. But here goes:

It's inevitable that this forum would evolve over time. They all do. But one of the problems I saw happening for a while now was this almost elitist approach to how people should express themselves. I usually have no issues with how people chose to post. Whether it be a mini essay or terse response to each his own. However, there were plenty of members here who didn't appreciate that kind answer. And I get it. Intelligent conversation was something this forum always wants to inspire/provoke. But you know what, that's not always what you'll get. Especially from sports fans. There are the well educated to the overly emotional. It just comes with the territory. Now, please don't interpret that as having to lower ones standards or approach to conversation. That's not what I'm saying at all. I just think tolerance is something that escaped this place for a while. Not with everyone but with more than enough members to make it a problem. An example: This place became incredibly difficult/annoying to deal with once advanced stats became the thing. I don't know about other people, but I honestly felt opinions weren't well received without empirical evidence to support it. Again, I don't mind the fact that these conversations and approach to the game exist. But it doesn't mean posts that aren't supported in such a way should be so heavily challenged or frowned upon always. Not everyone is inclined or looking to get into a 10 page debate.

I realize this alone is a complex issue especially considering how well versed and passionate many of the members are here. But at the very core of what this forum was meant to be (at least to me) that got lost somehow. I wish I had specific solutions to offer but I don't other know advising people to put their ego aside and know when to step back. It's okay to get at each other's throats from time to time, but humility and maturity should not disappear as a consequence.

For the most part, we are all adults here. A bit more acceptance and lax attitude towards differences will go a long way.

I honestly had more to say, but got distracted in the process. If and when more comes to me, I'll add to this.
    I can agree with some of this. There have been moments where I thought to myself(about a mod) "well that guy seems to think his shit don't stink" or "that guy really seems like he loves to use his mod status when he posts" or "another mod going on a power trip" etc etc. I don't get that feeling much anymore though. I think things have calmed down quite a bit. I don't really recall when it calmed down but it's been a while now. Like I already mentioned in another post, I never felt like I was afraid to post in a topic because a mod was participating or didn't respond because my point of view opposed a mod. Sometimes I just wanna shoot the shit without being drawn into a long back and forth. Sometimes I know I may come off like a dick because I have a pretty sarcastic mentality so I just avoid responding to some topics so I don't provoke anything. I used to post on an RSX board that was a legit free for all. It was fun. I was also a lot younger so those of us who are more, of age, may not think as much. Even going back there sometimes now some of the posts annoy me.

I had so much more I wanted to say but this post got spread out over almost an hour as I got a little busy here at work and lost my train of thought.
    Last edited by SaveByRichter35; 10-17-2017 at 02:20 PM.

\_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect
    Bring back the hot chix thread!!!!
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Bring back the hot chix thread!!!!
    ha!!!

Those were the days.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Probably the still highest viewed thread.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    I was debating whether or not to chime in here because some, if not a lot of what I wanted to say already has been addressed. But here goes:

It's inevitable that this forum would evolve over time. They all do. But one of the problems I saw happening for a while now was this almost elitist approach to how people should express themselves. I usually have no issues with how people chose to post. Whether it be a mini essay or terse response to each his own. However, there were plenty of members here who didn't appreciate that kind answer. And I get it. Intelligent conversation was something this forum always wants to inspire/provoke. But you know what, that's not always what you'll get. Especially from sports fans. There are the well educated to the overly emotional. It just comes with the territory. Now, please don't interpret that as having to lower ones standards or approach to conversation. That's not what I'm saying at all. I just think tolerance is something that escaped this place for a while. Not with everyone but with more than enough members to make it a problem. An example: This place became incredibly difficult/annoying to deal with once advanced stats became the thing. I don't know about other people, but I honestly felt opinions weren't well received without empirical evidence to support it. Again, I don't mind the fact that these conversations and approach to the game exist. But it doesn't mean posts that aren't supported in such a way should be so heavily challenged or frowned upon always. Not everyone is inclined or looking to get into a 10 page debate.

I realize this alone is a complex issue especially considering how well versed and passionate many of the members are here. But at the very core of what this forum was meant to be (at least to me) that got lost somehow. I wish I had specific solutions to offer but I don't other know advising people to put their ego aside and know when to step back. It's okay to get at each other's throats from time to time, but humility and maturity should not disappear as a consequence.

For the most part, we are all adults here. A bit more acceptance and lax attitude towards differences will go a long way.

I honestly had more to say, but got distracted in the process. If and when more comes to me, I'll add to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I feel like you're not the first person to say this, but I don't understand it. Someone asking "why" or asking a poster to prove a statement isn't an insult or a challenge. It's generating discussion. If you don't want to get into a long debate, you don't have to respond. Idk, it just seems like a weird thing to be turned off by.
    For me, the elistist thing that was such a turn off at times I think has become less of an issue. The forum has evolved, again and again. It's sad to lose folk I dug their presence but they have their lives and reasons for moving on. Happens in a lot of forums as Phil pointed out.

People have lives and sometimes really demanding on-perma-call 12-hour day jobs. it's not realistic to expect people to have enormous scads of time to devote to the intense level of research and argument compiling that evolved to become the gestalt here several years ago.

t's fine if folk want to discuss things in infinite detail —*and I appreciate the bits and bobs I can draw from that — a forum is a good place for it — but IMO it's just not realistic to expect people not to want to also enjoy a less academic level of conversation mixed in there in those same discussions. It doesn't mean we're dumb, or imbeciles, just we have a lot of other things in the priorities of life chain. A bit of tolerance and cutting some idiosyncratic personalities a bit of slack, or letting less-well researched things slide without harsh condemnation goes a long long way to not losing members. We can't all be the same, fit too tight a mold of hockey knowledge and dedication expectation. Vive la difference.

I think we'll be good, I hope, especially as more long-lost friends have come over from WBB. Things have just changed a bit, like a really complex operating system that becomes a bit less demanding of ninja techniques, and the game — it feels to me is really more frustrating and difficult to decode, too, at times. The intent of this is not to reopen old wounds, just to try to help you understand why some folk don't think it "weird" to have been "turned off" in the past, or have in the past felt a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    I can agree with some of this. There have been moments where I thought to myself(about a mod) "well that guy seems to think his shit don't stink" or "that guy really seems like he loves to use his mod status when he posts" or "another mod going on a power trip" etc etc. I don't get that feeling much anymore though. I think things have calmed down quite a bit. I don't really recall when it calmed down but it's been a while now. Like I already mentioned in another post, I never felt like I was afraid to post in a topic because a mod was participating or didn't respond because my point of view opposed a mod. Sometimes I just wanna shoot the shit without being drawn into a long back and forth. Sometimes I know I may come off like a dick because I have a pretty sarcastic mentality so I just avoid responding to some topics so I don't provoke anything. I used to post on an RSX board that was a legit free for all. It was fun. I was also a lot younger so those of us who are more, of age, may not think as much. Even going back there sometimes now some of the posts annoy me.

I had so much more I wanted to say but this post got spread out over almost an hour as I got a little busy here at work and lost my train of thought.
    repped and similar thing said a different way. And yes, I think things have calmed down a lot to where all that is not an issue as it kinda sorta felt a bit for a while back a ways.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; Yesterday at 10:43 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345