Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valiquette's View

List Maker BSBH Rookie

Valiquette's View

Anyone else love this segment?

Over the last 2 years or so, the stuff he mentions... he's always brining up different stats for different situations that actually relate to the game. They aren't advanced stats, but unconventional.

I love his segments between the periods. He can bring up simple little things for different situations that I never even thought about.

He's mentioned "compiling" information, does he have a site with this?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Valiquette's View

He runs his own analytics company called Clear Sight.

https://www.clearsightdevelopment.com

I agree, though. I've come to appreciate him much more over the last few seasons. Admittedly, I couldn't stand him at first, and thought the stuff he was pointing out was totally arbitrary and/or unnecessarily complicated. Like when he was trying to determine how many goals the rangers scored off multiple tips off skates and sticks in a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    He runs his own analytics company called Clear Sight.

https://www.clearsightdevelopment.com

I agree, though. I've come to appreciate him much more over the last few seasons. Admittedly, I couldn't stand him at first, and thought the stuff he was pointing out was totally arbitrary and/or unnecessarily complicated. Like when he was trying to determine how many goals the rangers scored off multiple tips off skates and sticks in a season.

Dirty goals around the net, story of the game of hockey. Not to pick on your Corswicks or whatever, but those are numbers much more relevant to the game than how many times a guy farts when Dan Girardi is on the right hash trying to eat a bagel.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Mite Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar

Valiquette's View

Yeah, I appreciate his insight. He played in the NHL and I didn’t. Props to Steve for achieving one of my life’s dreams.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

Over the last 2 years or so, the stuff he mentions... he's always brining up different stats for different situations that actually relate to the game. They aren't advanced stats, but unconventional.

I love his segments between the periods. He can bring up simple little things for different situations that I never even thought about.

yes, I appreciate them very much I do appreciate his insight, even if sometimes he comes off as a tiny bit haughty, he's got a fun quirky weird sense of humor to go with it

I hope Valley doesn't get himself fired for inappropriate remarks as they are very entertaining,

Looks like this season the stat about the increase in scoring potential by moving the puck "across the Golden Road" has turned into "across the Slot Line," but fine with me. Point is the same. And this Rangers team is getting better at it.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I like how he puts stats to common plays & common scoring chances. Screens, tips, 2 on 1 shots, etc

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

Vali, also uses video real well to demonstrate the point. Phil, you and others used to kill me for thinking there was value to Vali. Admirable unsolicited admission, great form.

Blue, glad you mentioned it. The slot line stuff is so valid and a pragmatic way to look at scoring in today's NHL. My wife now watches the game and identifies when the puck is crossing the slot line. And when the goalie is forced to move and lose the positioning advantage. She may have never played, but she is trying to watch the game right.

I like his recent take on "luck", essentially the ideas of making your own luck or purposeful luck in the game of hockey, particularly scoring chances.

Contrast that to the absolute shit 'analysis' J. Roenick had to offer at the start of the Blues game the other night. Embarrassing. If anyone here watched that Ranger segment during the Vegas pregame, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 10-12-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Dirty goals around the net, story of the game of hockey. Not to pick on your Corswicks or whatever, but those are numbers much more relevant to the game than how many times a guy farts when Dan Girardi is on the right hash trying to eat a bagel.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mikey37 again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    yes, I appreciate them very much I do appreciate his insight, even if sometimes he comes off as a tiny bit haughty, he's got a fun quirky weird sense of humor to go with it

I hope Valley doesn't get himself fired for inappropriate remarks as they are very entertaining,

Looks like this season the stat about the increase in scoring potential by moving the puck "across the Golden Road" has turned into "across the Slot Line," but fine with me. Point is the same. And this Rangers team is getting better at it.
    He can be a bit dorky at times but I do love what he brings to the studio crew. He's very knowledgeable. And the term is used to be was "Royal Road"
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Vali, also uses video real well to demonstrate the point. Phil, you and others used to kill me for thinking there was value to Vali. Admirable unsolicited admission, great form.

Blue, glad you mentioned it. The slot line stuff is so valid and a pragmatic way to look at scoring in today's NHL. My wife now watches the game and identifies when the puck is crossing the slot line. She may have never played, but she is trying to watch the game right.

I like his recent take on "luck", essentially the ideas of making your own luck or purposeful luck in the game of hockey, particularly scoring chances.

Contrast that to the absolute shit 'analysis' J. Roenick had to offer at the start of the Blues game the other night. Embarrassing. If anyone here watched that Ranger segment during the Vegas pregame, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    He is very good at explaining his segments with video. A facebook group full of goalies that I am a member of was going on and on about Valley's segment the other night about the D letting Hank see the shots and how 97.625%(made that # up) of the time Hank sees a shot he stops it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mikey37 again.

He can be a bit dorky at times but I do love what he brings to the studio crew. He's very knowledgeable. And the term is used to be was "Royal Road"

He is very good at explaining his segments with video. A facebook group full of goalies that I am a member of was going on and on about Valley's segment the other night about the D letting Hank see the shots and how 97.625%(made that # up) of the time Hank sees a shot he stops it.
    I always liked Vally, I liked him even more when I saw him around the rink a few times. He's a good dude, and loves the game, and obviously knows his shit. With that said, Stevie Wonder's save % would increase if he could see the puck on every shot. Finding the puck, positioning, and battling through screens is part of the position.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Neat. What gives it real added value is that he is making the significant effort to chart every single scoring chance and sharing the data.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Vali, also uses video real well to demonstrate the point.
    This is what he does the best and it's what separates him from other media types who use analytics.

His segment is unrivaled (at least that I know of) when it comes to the practical, on-ice application of deep stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    This is what he does the best and it's what separates him from other media types who use analytics.

His segment is unrivaled (at least that I know of) when it comes to the practical, on-ice application of deep stats.
    Yeah, his shit is real.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

I always liked Vally, I liked him even more when I saw him around the rink a few times. He's a good dude, and loves the game, and obviously knows his shit. With that said, Stevie Wonder's save % would increase if he could see the puck on every shot. Finding the puck, positioning, and battling through screens is part of the position.
    Sometimes one's knowledge of the game far outweighs their skill in the game.

Sometimes one's knowledge of the game far outweighs their skill in the game.
    Sometimes? More often than not. Most of the really good players are idiots. Lol
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Hardly. Lol

Sometimes? More often than not. Most of the really good players are idiots. Lol
    Hahaha touche

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division

if you ever played goal, you know some D-men are just screen magnets--it's probably a worthy old-time shot blocking instinct that has it's value -- but there's nothing worse than a big d-dude blocking your field of vision Close to the goalie. You want to see that forward take the shot so you can get a read on the way the stick arrives at the puck. At that point the unconscious takes over and makes the millisecond adjustments that no computer can calculate and react as fast. But if that "read" of the shot swing delivery and impact is invisible to you, then it's in the lap of the gods. Especially if it does not hit thAt erstwhile shot-blocker.

If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    if you ever played goal, you know some D-men are just screen magnets--it's probably a worthy old-time shot blocking instinct that has it's value -- but there's nothing worse than a big d-dude blocking your field of vision Close to the goalie. You want to see that forward take the shot so you can get a read on the way the stick arrives at the puck. At that point the unconscious takes over and makes the millisecond adjustments that no computer can calculate and react as fast. But if that "read" of the shot swing delivery and impact is invisible to you, then it's in the lap of the gods. Especially if it does not hit thAt erstwhile shot-blocker.

I never played goal, but I have a pretty good one living in my house.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Squirt Division Nicky Fotiu's Avatar
    Vally does an amazing job. Some people are surprised that he wasn't better at playing the game since he is so smart when analyzing various aspects. With that said as great as he once in a while his opinions are not totally factual. With that said I would like to see him join our teams management some day. I like and respect the job he does for MSG.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Fotiu View Post
    Vally does an amazing job. Some people are surprised that he wasn't better at playing the game since he is so smart when analyzing various aspects. With that said as great as he once in a while his opinions are not totally factual. With that said I would like to see him join our teams management some day. I like and respect the job he does for MSG.
    Playing the game well and knowing the game well have little to nothing in common. Some of the best hockey players I know barely even follow the sport or know very little about strategy and general info. Probably why a lot of good/great coaches and GM's were mediocre or bad players with a few exceptions and vice versa (sakic).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast