Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let the Joe Thornton Rumors Begin

Senior Member Junior Division

Let the Joe Thornton Rumors Begin

http://nypost.com/2017/10/09/rangers...ady-recruited/

The Post has learned the Rangers and Thornton had several productive conversations during the 38-year-old center’s free-agency period last summer that extended into midday of July 1.
    But there is no doubt both parties were comfortable and intrigued with the idea of Thornton coming to New York to team up with his pal and Team Canada teammate, Rick Nash, while bolstering the team’s middle.

Look, a lot has to happen for this kind of a move — we’re talking about something that will be at least four months in the making — to come to fruition. The Sharks would have to acknowledge themselves less than a Cup contender. Thornton would have to be healthy. The Rangers would have to concoct the way to absorb the remaining portion of Jumbotron’s full-year $8 million cap hit. And the clubs would have to agree on the compensation going San Jose’s way.

Senior Member Midget Division Rangers's Avatar
    No thank you!
    Nash contract expires, bringing Jumbo in makes no sense.
    Shoot the puck!

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
    No thank you!
    We need a centerman. Badly.

Yes we do, but it shouldnt be 38 year old with another big contract. I can imagine what we will give up for him.
    I would use those assets to get someone younger for a long term solution rather stopgaps as we have done before, which proved was a waste of assets.

The only way I would do this deal if King is going the other way.
    38 yo for 36 yo.
    Last edited by Rangers; 10-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Shoot the puck!

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    OMG! What a B.S. idea! More apropos to get rid of Nick Ra$h.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
    No thank you!
    Yeah?!?! so does Joe Thornton's. NYR need a center. Obviously if you read the article it would be done closer to the deadline so the Rangers wouldnt owe that much on the contract.
    Thornton isnt what he once was obviously, but he's still a good set up man. Dude had 40+ assists last year. You dont think he could help Nash? Trading for Thornton would be for THIS YEAR, and THIS YEAR ONLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Yeah?!?! so does Joe Thornton's. NYR need a center. Obviously if you read the article it would be done closer to the deadline so the Rangers wouldnt owe that much on the contract.
    Thornton isnt what he once was obviously, but he's still a good set up man. Dude had 40+ assists last year. You dont think he could help Nash? Trading for Thornton would be for THIS YEAR, and THIS YEAR ONLY!
    I don't think it would help Nash, no. What did he and Nash play together for one tournament? Why does that mean anything? Nash is shell of his former self and so is Joe. I'd rather trade Nash at the deadline than acquire Joe.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

If this deal materializes, Sather is still a GM, not Gorton.
    Shoot the puck!

Senior Member Mite Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    Rather make a deal for Athanasiu

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Deleted Midget Division
    If cheap, I do it.

Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Math is hard. $8 million prorated is a lower cap number at the deadline. But really off the Eric Staal fiasco, need to be leery of bringing in old guys. They aren't giving him away either.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Staal for Thornton

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    If cheap, I do it.
    Ditto. Guy can still play. One-year deal. I don't give a shit about the cap by that point in the season. No first-round pick, and I'm in.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    I'm a huge Thornton fan and have wanted him here for years. I just don't think it's a good idea to give up assets for a guy they could have just signed. The cost will be high. I'm still surprised he got that much money. Figured he'd sign for half of that money and go to a contender.

I don't see the Rangers as a fit as far as trade components go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I'm a huge Thornton fan and have wanted him here for years. I just don't think it's a good idea to give up assets for a guy they could have just signed. The cost will be high. I'm still surprised he got that much money. Figured he'd sign for half of that money and go to a contender.

I don't see the Rangers as a fit as far as trade components go.
    Rangers werent going to pay him $8 million like SJ signed him too. So if the Rangers get him at the trade deadline, it would be just a fraction of that base salary that they most likely would be able to fit under the cap. Like Phil said, no first round pick and im in.

anyone really think we'll be sitting on broadway enjoying the parade at the end of this year regardless of who we bring in?

i say let the season play out. let some of the youth develop. learn your lesson and don't give 30 somethings 8 year 8 million dollar deals.

i know we didn't win the cup but we had a hell of a run. nothing wrong with taking a step back this season and letting the youth develop.

we might be a middle of the pack affair this year but i'm thinking gorton has this thing going in the right direction in the long run.

Nash could be worth a good return come deadline to a team that is going for it. might hold the answer for what we need for the next long term run

Rangers werent going to pay him $8 million like SJ signed him too. So if the Rangers get him at the trade deadline, it would be just a fraction of that base salary that they most likely would be able to fit under the cap. Like Phil said, no first round pick and im in.
    Yeah, you can basically cut that in half. A little more, even. With pro-rated cap room that grows as the season continues, making a deal at the deadline shouldn't be terribly difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    anyone really think we'll be sitting on broadway enjoying the parade at the end of this year regardless of who we bring in?

i say let the season play out. let some of the youth develop. learn your lesson and don't give 30 somethings 8 year 8 million dollar deals.

i know we didn't win the cup but we had a hell of a run. nothing wrong with taking a step back this season and letting the youth develop.

we might be a middle of the pack affair this year but i'm thinking gorton has this thing going in the right direction in the long run.

Nash could be worth a good return come deadline to a team that is going for it. might hold the answer for what we need for the next long term run
    Probably not, no, but the Rangers are in a weird position. They're probably a bubble team as they're constructed, but with a whole season ahead of them, anything can happen.

If they do get in, though, or are in position to maintain playoff position, of course they're going to add at the deadline.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I don't think we will be watching a parade but I'd like to see them try.

I'm one of those weird fans that trusts team management. I don't always agree but I think they usually make the right moves.
    I don't anticipate them making a late 90s trade, moving firsts and top prospects for an overhead slow Thornton.

Had they not signed Shattenkirk they could have. Or had they made more cap room by maybe buying out Staal and moving a contract, they could have.

But as you and Phill suggest, come deadline time, they could work it. But what's the cost? He'd be THE biggest rental. Other teams would have interest. I'd say if he forced a trade ala MSL, it could lower the price, but that didn't happen in the MSL deal.

No first rounder, no top prospects. I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I don't think we will be watching a parade but I'd like to see them try.

I'm one of those weird fans that trusts team management. I don't always agree but I think they usually make the right moves.
    I don't anticipate them making a late 90s trade, moving firsts and top prospects for an overhead slow Thornton.
    Generally I agree, but Eric Staal gives me pause.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast