Thread: RIP AOL Instant Messenger — 1997-2017

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

RIP AOL Instant Messenger — 1997-2017

It’s a sad moment: AIM, AOL’s long-running instant messenger service that was core to many people’s first social experiences on the internet, will shut down once and for all on December 15th. AOL announced the shutdown today, acknowledging that people now communicate in new ways online, so AIM is no longer needed.

“AIM tapped into new digital technologies and ignited a cultural shift, but the way in which we communicate with each other has profoundly changed,” writes Michael Albers, communications products VP at Oath (the Verizon behemoth that consumed AOL).

AOL cut off access to AIM from third-party chat clients back in March, hinting at this eventual shutdown. It’s hard to imagine that many people are still using AIM, so that change, nor this upcoming shutdown, are likely to make a huge difference.

AIM was one of the first and most successful instant messengers, widely used in the late ‘90s and even throughout the 2000s. I was still using AIM to chat with my friends throughout college at the end of the decade, including to stay in touch with my (not-yet) significant other while she was studying abroad.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/6/1...tant-messenger

--

Forgot to post this earlier. This one cuts right to my adolescence.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

Yea haven’t used it in years but this was a constantly open app on my computer from the time I was about 11-22 or so.

Does this mean I’m old??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    *Door close*

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Remember the apps where you could appear idle but you weren't?

At one point, I said fuck it and stopped using Away Messages. That really pissed people off.

Making chick screen names and messing with friends.

I think I even asked a chick to the prom over AIM.

The links in your profile that would tell you who was looking at it.

I used to register screen names that were really similar to mess with mutual friends.

Like if my friend was rangers2854 I would register rangers2845 and then IM mutual friends (especially exes) to start silly drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I talked to so many girls on AIM, used to love the chat rooms. I used to talk to girls and find out where they worked and go see what they looked like. If they were big, I would t talk to them online anymore, and that was usually a lot of them.

Senior Member Squirt Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    *Door close*
    lol I see what you did there

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    sorry. It's this dial up connection.

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I talked to so many girls on AIM, used to love the chat rooms. I used to talk to girls and find out where they worked and go see what they looked like. If they were big, I would t talk to them online anymore, and that was usually a lot of them.
    Stalker alert

I loved aim back in the day, although I haven't used it in years, this is sad news. It was all about aim and napster.

*opens door*
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Damn... I have some seriously fond memories chatting away on aim at night with chicks when I should've been doing homework. It was great for talking to chicks that I was too much of a pussy to approach in class. I'd gladly go back to that over this social media nonsense where absolutely nothing is left to the imagination anymore

The nostalgia of the sounds will never wear off

Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    Damn... I have some seriously fond memories chatting away on aim at night with chicks when I should've been doing homework. It was great for talking to chicks that I was too much of a pussy to approach in class. I'd gladly go back to that over this social media nonsense where absolutely nothing is left to the imagination anymore
    I completely agree.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    AIM=MIA