• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

FLA Re-Sign D Michael Matheson to 8-Year/$39M Extension; $4.875M AAV

Phil

Yeah, they're really banking on him not regressing much at all. Skjei, though, that bar was already set between ghost bear and Slavin.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Which makes sense, since Ghost is at $4.5M and Slavin (still no clue who this guy is) is at $5.3M. Matheson at $4.875M just adds to where Skjei will land, probably in $5M range.

Which makes sense, since Ghost is at $4.5M and Slavin (still no clue who this guy is) is at $5.3M. Matheson at $4.875M just adds to where Skjei will land, probably in $5M range.

Shameless plug, but Mike did a really nice breakdown on Slaving/Skjei a bit ago:

Slavin is still a relative unknown, but the 23-year-old has quickly grown into a top defender. With 34 points, a +23 rating and a team-leading 23:26 per game with an offensive zone start (oZS) rate of just 47.6%, the Denver native cemented himself as Carolina’s number one defenseman last season. Those numbers are strong on their own, but he especially sets himself apart in expected goal generation.

While Skjei’s point production was phenomenal last year (1.68 points per 60 minutes (pp/60), 10th among all defensemen and second among rookies), he hasn’t quite reached top-pair status. That means, assumedly, that Gorton will leverage Slavin’s contract as a ceiling, rather than a benchmark. Part of Skjei’s production stems from his favorable oZS of 58.8% and lack of a heavy defensive burden. It’s hard to compare him to Slavin when he played nearly six fewer minutes per game and wasn’t featured on the penalty kill, where the ‘Cane saw more than 3:00 per night.

http://clearedforcontact.com/slavins-contract-skjeis-ceiling/

I'm not sure I understand this contract. On one hand, it's good to lock up a guy like this but, on the other, I don't think they're really saving any money. Unless he has some offensive upside I'm not aware of, this seems like an overpay. He's a second-pair defender and they've already got $14m per year dedicated to their top pair.

It makes sense for a team like Nashville to dedicate a ton of resources to the top 4, considering they're all really top-pair calibre guys. But I don't think Matheson is in that category.

Archived