Poll: Player of the Game?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 248

Thread: [RS] (#1) Rangers v. Colorado Avalanche // AV vs Avs

  1. #201
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,819
    Rep Power
    127
    I'm really excited to see what Skjei does this season. He brought a nice game. I'd rather he play over McDonagh on the powerplay but I don't think we'll see that happen. It was nice to see him bring some physicality but in a smart way.

  2. #202
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,813
    Rep Power
    75
    1st games of a season are extended pre-season games hopped up on adrenaline.

    If you have all your eggs in that basket, you must have trouble carrying your groceries home.

  3. #203
    Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,395
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    1st games of a season are extended pre-season games hopped up on adrenaline.

    If you have all your eggs in that basket, you must have trouble carrying your groceries home.
    Amen

    Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

  4. #204
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,453
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I'm really excited to see what Skjei does this season. He brought a nice game. I'd rather he play over McDonagh on the powerplay but I don't think we'll see that happen. It was nice to see him bring some physicality but in a smart way.
    Spot on. Skjei is becoming a dominant player, all around. AV needs to get him on the PP, which looked pretty good w/o him. He jumped deep into the zone at least 4 times and created havoc for the AVs each time.

    Contrast that with Staal (for my friend who asked what he did wrong) who early in the game gambled twice deep. Both were poor decisions, before we even saw the results. One turned into a breakout that Staal was last to get back on and the other resulted in a 2 on 1 against DeAngelo that almost cost a goal. Staal also struggled to move the puck to another Ranger in the D zone. One cleared the zone but was put right on an AV stick and was brought right back in, the other resulted in more pressure. Staal looked slow and say what you will about DeAngelo, but Staal is not going to help this kid if he plays like he did yesterday.

  5. #205
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,453
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    They looked pretty good, I thought.

    Chytil didn't play, which everyone should have saw coming from a mile away, what a dumb idea this is going to be. Shattenkirk was great and he'll obviously change the PP, but allotting cap space there only opened up a laughable hole down the middle which they tried to fill with a kid who had 8 points in a semi-pro league last year. Makes sense.

    Varlamov was fantastic and Hank looks like he's 45. We'll see where this goes this year, but with effectively no back up goalie I think it could get ugly.

    Tough sched ahead so if they're 5-5 after 10 games I think that's OK.
    Let's get this out of the way you self-loathing Pocahontas in drag, parading as a Chief. You were right, I was wrong. OK?

    My gullible ass didn't see Chytil getting limited playing time in Game 1 against the AVs, but I should never assume AV will follow through with a logical plan. What happened to the idea that AV doesn't number his lines, he played it straight by the book (like a road game) until all the penalties broke the flow. Did AV matchup Chytil against Yost and that awful third line? Nope, not until one shift in the second half of the game, which was that line's best. Instead he was overmatched against Landeskog and Duchene during the first period. Technically, Duchene was Chytil's man on the first goal. Even if Shatty also struggled on that play, he was dealing with 2 AVs right in front.

    The second goal for the AVs was a PP, after Chytil's BS trip. Unfortunately, it cost a second goal and maybe AV started getting cold feet. The PK on that goal was solid. Smith went for the block and was back up in an instant, forcing McK to hold up and eventually make a sweet pass. Vesey pressured and Skjei had good position on the goal scorer, who just made a pro play. Hard to blame Hank on that one either. Overall the PK was top-notch.

    At least Vesey got more ice toward the end, he looked awesome. AV is negligent putting him on the fourth line. He graduates to schmuck if he keeps him there. Let's hope he sees what seems pretty obvious. After Zib you could easily say he was the most outstanding forward. Made the 4th line go and made Desharnais look better than he was. He needs better linemates. He can be trusted to play big minutes, mistake free, and will wins us games.

    Let's talk about Hank after 10 or so games.

  6. #206
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    Rep Power
    34
    I think the only thing I'm really disappointed in was the handling of Chytil. It's the kid's first NHL game and you decided to keep him on the roster. Let him suck. It's OK, but play him. Play him like you would play him if he didn't suck for a few games and let him absorb the experience. Then make the decision to send him down or have a serious talk about his role in the future.

    I generally like AV as a coach but the way he has treated kids on our roster has been consistently poor and in some cases detrimental for his entire tenure here, and this is yet another example.

    If you have the kid on the roster, I don't care if he costs you three goals a night. Get him out there, let him play, and then send him down and be clear about where he needs to improve. That's all.

  7. #207
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,602
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    I think the only thing I'm really disappointed in was the handling of Chytil. It's the kid's first NHL game and you decided to keep him on the roster. Let him suck. It's OK, but play him. Play him like you would play him if he didn't suck for a few games and let him absorb the experience. Then make the decision to send him down or have a serious talk about his role in the future.

    I generally like AV as a coach but the way he has treated kids on our roster has been consistently poor and in some cases detrimental for his entire tenure here, and this is yet another example.

    If you have the kid on the roster, I don't care if he costs you three goals a night. Get him out there, let him play, and then send him down and be clear about where he needs to improve. That's all.
    Exactly. What's the point of keeping him here if he's going to get 7 minutes?

    I've never liked how AV handles young players. Ever. Whether it's Skjei not getting minutes last year over Staal and Holden, or Vesey on the 4th line, or Miller being bounced around for two seasons. You room him with nash. You put him on NAsh's line. And then you don't play him. I don't get it.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  8. #208
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,453
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    I think the only thing I'm really disappointed in was the handling of Chytil. It's the kid's first NHL game and you decided to keep him on the roster. Let him suck. It's OK, but play him. Play him like you would play him if he didn't suck for a few games and let him absorb the experience. Then make the decision to send him down or have a serious talk about his role in the future.

    I generally like AV as a coach but the way he has treated kids on our roster has been consistently poor and in some cases detrimental for his entire tenure here, and this is yet another example.

    If you have the kid on the roster, I don't care if he costs you three goals a night. Get him out there, let him play, and then send him down and be clear about where he needs to improve. That's all.
    I concur completely about Chytil. I was going to say this on my post above... I doubt Gorton thought he'd play that little in Game 1 against the Avs, particularly getting surrounded by Nash and Zuc. If it continues, Gorton won't keep the kid around. This can't be what he expected from the coach in Game 1.

    He may need to go out and bring Oscar back and let the kid develop like most kids who just stopped believing in Santa.

  9. #209
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,763
    Rep Power
    112
    Chytil playing so little was largely a product of all the penalties. Through two periods, his EV TOI was almost exactly the same as Buch.

    It's not surprising that he didn't play much in the third period of a 2-2 game. Neither did Carey - who played less than Chytil. Vesey didn't even play 12:00.

  10. #210
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,188
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    I concur completely about Chytil. I was going to say this on my post above... I doubt Gorton thought he'd play that little in Game 1 against the Avs, particularly getting surrounded by Nash and Zuc. If it continues, Gorton won't keep the kid around. This can't be what he expected from the coach in Game 1.

    He may need to go out and bring Oscar back and let the kid develop like most kids who just stopped believing in Santa.
    Bro we're not bringing Oscar back.


  11. #211
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,287
    Rep Power
    287
    I've never seen so much pining for 4th line plugs.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  12. #212
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,453
    Rep Power
    42
    Ok I laughed.

    Answer a question for me. If Chytil only sees 9 or less games, who is going to play C?

    I hope it is not going to be Miller. I know the Rangers would prefer it not be Miller, which also opens up another hole at wing. Do you have 1 or more good options in mind? Cody Eakin would cost about the same and he is fine, but Oscar is the better player and better for us. Is it not logical to expect Vegas to be the team most likely to unload NHL caliber Centers?

  13. #213
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,763
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Ok I laughed.

    Answer a question for me. If Chytil only sees 9 or less games, who is going to play C?

    I hope it is not going to be Miller. I know the Rangers would prefer it not be Miller, which also opens up another hole at wing. Do you have 1 or more good options in mind? Cody Eakin would cost about the same and he is fine, but Oscar is the better player and better for us. Is it not logical to expect Vegas to be the team most likely to unload NHL caliber Centers?
    Lindberg is playing wing for VGK, for what it's worth.

  14. #214
    Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,770
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Chytil playing so little was largely a product of all the penalties. Through two periods, his EV TOI was almost exactly the same as Buch.

    It's not surprising that he didn't play much in the third period of a 2-2 game. Neither did Carey - who played less than Chytil. Vesey didn't even play 12:00.
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to give an offensive-oriented player some PP time to get his feet wet? Not saying top unit, but the kid is a 1st rounder. At a loss what harm there would be giving him some.

  15. #215
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,453
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I've never seen so much pining for 4th line plugs.
    Because he is better than a 4th liner, better than Desharnais, fits great here, wins faceoffs, plays D, forechecks, can score, comes up big in the playoffs, just entering his 3rd season.

    Cause we are weak down the middle, down 2 C's from last year and forcing a great child prospect to be here due to roster holes.

    He is underrated, affordable on all levels, realistic and plays a good wing too. The better C's available (like Duchene) will cost key young pieces. We need the talent and depth if Chytil isn't sticking. Gorton needs to get ahead of the curve, before other teams beside the Pens start seeking a 3C. Not much supply.

  16. #216
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,453
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Lindberg is playing wing for VGK, for what it's worth.
    Yep, to get him top 6 minutes. Lindberg is simply not a 4th liner and plays wing well. Ice time is more important than position, especially for Vegas.

  17. #217
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,763
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to give an offensive-oriented player some PP time to get his feet wet? Not saying top unit, but the kid is a 1st rounder. At a loss what harm there would be giving him some.
    Well no, there's no harm but, realistically, you'd only sub him in for DD on the 2nd PP unit. Last night DD got a lot of play there, but you're probably only talking about another 30-40 seconds a game long term. I'm not sure that makes any difference.

  18. #218
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,287
    Rep Power
    287
    It's 1 game and everyone is bashing AV about an 18yo?

    Does anyone believe there's a communication process between gm, coach, and player?

    Does anyone think or trust that they're on the same page, know what they're doing, amd have a plan?

    Does anyone think that a raw 18yo with a lot to work on is going to get regular minutes in games that matter? You can't make the playoffs in October, but you can do a good job of struggling not to make them after October. 2 points is 2 points. See how much those points matter to the 7,8,9,10 teams coming down the stretch.

    You guys are fuckin brutal. Jesus Christ.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  19. #219
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,763
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Yep, to get him top 6 minutes. Lindberg is simply not a 4th liner and plays wing well. Ice time is more important than position, especially for Vegas.
    That's kind of disingenuous, since Shipchayov and Tuch are both in the AHL right now.

    Again, everyone likes Lindberg. But you present him as some sort of savior lol.

  20. #220
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,287
    Rep Power
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Well no, there's no harm but, realistically, you'd only sub him in for DD on the 2nd PP unit. Last night DD got a lot of play there, but you're probably only talking about another 30-40 seconds a game long term. I'm not sure that makes any difference.
    There's also nothing wrong with letting him watch and absorb some things. Don't be surprised if he's watching a game or 2 from above in the next 2 weeks.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •