• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

F1, Formula-e, LeMans, Indy Series

4EverRangerFrank

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Going to miss the broadcast crew...Diffey, Hobbs and Machett were great together and taught me so much. Will Buxton was super entertaining on the grid and his insights were always enlightening and entertaining. Really hoping that ESPN doesn't screw this up next season especially after reading that they let 150 go yesterday. Geez this doesn't bode well.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^LOL - yup, that was different for sure. :rofl:

Welp, the first race is over and my boys at Ferrari got their arses handed to them after such a great showing during testing in Barcelona. On to Bahrain this weekend. Much different track and I'm hoping for RED progress. RIC had another very unfortunate home race when he rode over that drainage swail and tore his car apart at the start.

BTW - anyone watch Indy Cars at COTA? Herta became the youngest winner at 18 years and 6 months? 3 months? No matter, it was fairly entertaining although I do not agree with not enforcing track limits. Indy cars were running off course to pass or gain speed advantages that while entertaining surely added a ridiculous measure of danger to the event IMO.

So I DID see that commercial??? I watched the episode again last night and didn't see it. I thought "oldtimers" was kicking in early!!

Ferrari fan here as well! Team says they're ready for next race.

I happened to catch a Mecum Top 10 show last weekend. #10 was a Lambo Countach. Along with a couple of other Lambo's, Ford GT, monster Porsche, and a Veyron there was an Enzo and LaFerrari that went for close to $4,000,000. I'd like one each please....

Checking on the Netflix series I found one Amazon did on McLaren last year that looks good, too (wasn't too good for McLaren, though)

And THIS WAS F'G GREAT!!!!!! Vintage footage of Jackie Stewart and others from early 70's (Cevert is still alive). Stewart was my F1 hero for years. Read his book "Faster" several times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B074XL2484/ref=pd_cbs_318_3

Thx for the link, I'll definitely check it out.

Do you use the F1 app? I like it very much for news and short video. This year, I've subscribed to F1 TV PRO to see the different camera angles and hear unfiltered race radio. While I'm happy with how it works on my iPhone, it doesn't AirPlay well to the TV. I questioned that and they said it only has 'mobile' capability right now but they are feverishly working on a TV widget for release this season. I cannot wait for that. (Speaking of TV, I miss the old trio of Hobbs, Matchett and Diffey but have warmed to the current broadcast team.) I'm really glad that 'Grid Walk' great Wil Buxton has been brought back around again. his relationships and commentary are spot-on IMO.

LEC and VET lead FP2 and are only 0.169 apart! Quali starts in 6 minutes.

I watched the whole Drive to Survive series. Wow, what a bunch of huge ego, prima donna, snobs! And some real whiners. F'n Grosjean should just hang it up already. I mean, I know F1 is literally the "Grand Prize" and it's pretty hoity toity but man... Reminds me of my buddy who started a custom drum biz 30 years ago. He recently told me, "you know in the biz I have now met almost all the musicians we worshipped and idolized as kids. And they are almost ALL assholes...."

It occurred to me how funny it would be see John Force interacting at a Grand Prix.... :eek:

I can see it now.... "You guys ONLY go 180? We go over 300!!!!" "Yeah for how long? And ummmm, can you f'n TURN?????" :cool:

I've been away for a while. Coming back up to speed...they're running hybrid power units now????? Wow.

I was big into it in the 80's. I went to one of the last GP's through downtown Detroit. That was a BLAST!

Detroit GP - that must have been awesome. My last race was in '84 or '85 in Montreal. I can still feel the hair stand up on my arms when I saw and heard that speed for the first time. BTW - I went to both Indy car races at the Meadowlands during that timeframe. One of them was run in a huge downpour and I was take by the speed of guys flying in the mist behind one another. Impossible to see anything but that red blinking light on the transfer case.

My youngest son - now 20 - is really getting into F1 this season after watching with me the past few years. I cannot wait for us to go to a race together.

Detroit WAS a blast. I met a girl on a previous biz trip who invited me back for the GP weekend. ;)

The Tigers were still in old Tiger stadium, Greek town was a blast and the "Ren Cen" had all kinds of things going on. Strong police presence kept the seedier side of the city at bay. Great weekend, I imagine like what a Super Bowl weekend in New Orleans would be like.

Funny you mention the Meadowlands...around that same time I had just gotten my '84 Trans Am and got invited to a Ford Tbird and Mustang demo drive at the Meadowlands. Dunno if it was the weekend before or after the race but a lot of the race track was still cordoned off. Somehow I got myself alone on that part of the closed track in my brand new TA. :cool:

I went around a dozen times before I pulled into the demo parking lot. GR8T FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

Senna was a big hero of mine. Just read this in a wiki about him...

Senna's first F1 race engineer, Pat Symonds...

"The car was reasonably competitive there, so we expected to have a good race but Ayrton spun early in the race. He then found his way back through the field in a quite effective way and we were looking for a pretty good finish but then he hit the wall, damaged the rear wheel and the driveshaft and retired, which was a real shame. The real significance of that was that when he came back to the pits he told me what happened and said "I'm sure that the wall moved!" and even though I've heard every excuse every driver has ever made, I certainly hadn't heard of that one! But Ayrton being Ayrton, with his incredible belief in himself, the absolute conviction, he then talked me into going with him, after the race, to have a look at the place where he had crashed. And he was absolutely right, which was the amazing thing! Dallas being a street circuit the track was surrounded by concrete blocks and what had happened – we could see it from the tyre marks – was that someone had hit at the far end of the concrete block and that made it swivel slightly, so that the leading edge of the block was standing out by a few millimetres. And he was driving with such precision that those few millimetres were the difference between hitting the wall and not hitting the wall. While I had been, at first, annoyed that we had retired from the race through a driver error, when I saw what had happened, when I saw how he had been driving, that increased my respect for the guy by quite a lot."

:eek:

Great story. When the movie, "Senna" came out, I took my son to see it in the Village at a small theater. It was packed full of racing fans and you could hear a pin drop - and plenty of sniffles - when the tragedy happened. My son's F1 awakening is a direct result of that movie. The Netflix series is a really great insight to the workings of the teams and people in them. I really hope they show a recap of this season next year. There is talk about Ferrari and Mercedes participating in it this year. Toto had an interesting quote (paraphrasing): "We didn't want to take the light away from other teams as we get plenty of coverage. We also didn't want a microphone to come in a critical moments in team meetings...but next year, we'll see." It would be good to get a look inside the top teams too - there are plenty of interpersonal dynamics going on. Like BOT' new attitude this year. He's not laying down for Hamilton. LEC too - he's going to give VET a run for his money.

While not perfect, I like the new aero direction and it seems to have helped the midfield gain some pace. Passing and cars fighting for position is key if they want to retain fans and attract new ones.

Have any plans to go to a race? I'm trying my best to get up to Montreal this June, trouble is, that Sunday begins our team's biggest 4-day auction event of the year and I might have to show properties. If the day is free, I'm definitely scooting up with my son and surprise him with the destination. Fingers-crossed.

Have you checked out Formula-e in Brooklyn? We went to the inaugural race and it was a pretty entertaining atmosphere but the race view was a challenge. We sat along the straight in the larger grandstand and you watched most of the race on a giant screen positioned opposite the bleachers. Due to the narrow tracks they use, you really cannot see much happening unless it is right below you. Cool thing though, in place of the usual dogs and burgers, they had an adjacent street blocked off and 8-10 food trucks lined up in a row. That was a great idea! The fan exhibits were interesting and like I said, the overall day was fun. We skipped last year but are thinking about taking in this year's race.

ouch...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/leclerc-ferrari-engine-problem-bahrain/4365399/

Had to laugh the first time I stumbled across a Formula E race. I chuckled to my wife, "Pit stop's gonna be a long recharge" then I saw them swap cars!!! That's novel!

I'm in CA now. Be a bit of a commute to the Brooklyn race. I do get to the Long Beach races now and then. Pomona drags at least once a year out of the two races. I did the Alan Berg Formula school short program twice now and a NASCAR drive at both Cal Speedway and Irwindale. Someday I HAVE to drive a funny car or dragster.

I bought the Senna DVD immediately after seeing it the first time. What an amazing human being. What do think about all those conspiracies about his death?

My son was telling me about the part failure yesterday...amazing that it couldn't occur during FP or Quali. You've done some really fun stuff and I'd like to enjoy the racing school experience one day too. I've have my eye on buying a F-type next (driving a XE R-Sport now) and they offer a driving school at Bethel Raceway in Sullivan County, NY which is about a hour drive from my home. Best part is that they bring cars for you to drive so you don't have to put the wear on yours.

Senna? I had forgotten about the conspiracy thinking until now. Wow. I'm not sure how I feel about that today...it seems to me like that steering column alteration was done in a rush might have been the ultimate cause. But I'm perplexed with how the column splicing was welded and how that could have possibly fractured. I used to weld when doing car restoration as a business with my dad - so the idea of a sleeved retrofit makes sense to me...but the welds failing don't.

Your thoughts?