• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Wins a Cup First ? Toronto or Edmonton?

Phil

Who Wins a Cup First ? Toronto or Edmonton?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins a Cup First ? Toronto or Edmonton?

• Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Edmonton Oilers

Long-term, I think Toronto is built for consecutive success, but the Oilers stand the best chance at winning now. They've got the goaltending, the established 1-2 punch at center, and a slightly better looking D-group (though they, too, lack that impact 1D or top pairing duo).

So, for me, straight forward to answer the question, it's the Oilers.

A lot could depend on their goaltending. They have two very comparable starting goalies in Andersen and Talbot, but it is still unknown which of them will have the strongest trajectory. They are clearly strong NHL starters right now, but also both have the potential to become elite goalies. Andersen had an incredibly strong finish to last season and is two years younger, but in my opinion, Talbot has a better A game.

Edmonton, because McJesus.

But as LLTK says, their path to the finals is an easier path to take, and it seems like that team is much more geared toward winning now, whereas Toronto is ok with taking another few seasons to continue developing the three headed monster.

All things equal I still give it to the Oilers, who I think will win the division and contend for the Cup this year. McDavid and a better backend make the difference.

However, things are not equal. Edmonton has the easier path to the Finals, by a large margin.

Archived