Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #CatalanReferendum Clash

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

#CatalanReferendum Clash

'Hundreds injured' in clashes as police try to prevent voting in Catalonia's independence referendum. #CatalanReferendum

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41461032

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Growing Member Bantam Division
    Crazy to see firefighters protecting people against the police.

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Total mess, now they declare victory with 90% yes votes, but only 42% of the people voted and there's reports about people voting several times.

It's all silly anyway, Catalonia might not like having to pay the poorer regions of spain, but they were not a surpressed minority. This is once again regional politicians feeding their own power trips over some mild annoyances their people have. Just like with the Scottish Referendum and Brexit too, they always promise everything good will stay the same and the bad will magically disappear, while planning to bail right after the vote is over. Leaving someone else to do the actual negotiations in case of success. Lowest scum of politicians.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I had heard that this wasn't even a real election, that it was made up by a group and pushed as being a real vote.

The spanish constitutional court ruled it to be unconstitional. Of course your average country won't have laws allowing secession normally.

It might even be unconstitutional under the Autonomy laws Catalonia negotiated for themselves years ago. Not totally sure on this one.

Of course they wanna stay in the EU after seceding, good luck with that lol, new members can only join if no member-state vetoes. I kinda don't see Spain allowing that to happen.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Spain loves the Facism.

They don't want to be part of Spain, they were invaded and conquered by Spain and now they aren't allowed to leave because the rest of the country is on the dole.

What is/was the path to a Constitutional referendum? Does it even exist?

Can you imagine this happening next time Québec puts this same issue to a vote?

There is no way to a legel Referendum, at least not a binding one. Sure you can make one to ask the people for their opinion, but that means jack shit and even there the wording has to be carefully chosen.

I would be more supportive if the bottom line wasn't the old "the rest of you guys are lazy suckers and don't wanna help you with our money". I'd support the Kurds, if the gepolitical situation of the Middle-East wasn't a total shit-show even without them getting their own state, while Kurds also live in 3 other nations....

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    This isn't 1812. There are options. They just need to contact UN/world organizations instead of the country they're trying to break away from.

But since it's one of the big 3 in Europe, and Ms Germany doesn't want to look weaker, the EU won't do shit... plus, they need the money too!!

You mean the same UN, where EU-member state France can Veto everything?

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Maybe.

I don't pay attention to that shit-show. Not many intelligent people do.

But I'd love to see Frances version of "The Weakest Link".

Senior Member Squirt Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Riot police? Unreal. Let the vote happen then say, “BTW ya’ll, it doesn’t really count!”

But it does count, the regional parliament wants to declare Independence on Monday.

Probably unless the central government comes with some sweet last second deals. Not sure how likely that is to happen.

Regional parliament just voted for independence with 70 votes of 135 members of parliament. 10 votes against, 2 abstained and the opposition parties walked out before the vote.

Meanwhile Madrid voted to invoke §155 of the constitution and will (try to) disassemble the regional parliament.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41780116

Catalan can't leave, they pay for everything. There's a lot of people on the government tit in Spain.

I'm not big on Catalans prevailing politics, but I can't understand how they can stop them leaving if they decide to. Can you imagine the Canadian government resorting to violence to force Quebec to stay? Unfathomable.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Can you imagine the Canadian government resorting to violence to force Quebec to stay? Unfathomable.
    Yes.

No. Would never happen. Them leaving would be the greatest thing to happen since Confederation.

And if it did, it wouldn't be OK. You're forcing people to do something that is entirely against their will.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    No. Would never happen. Them leaving would be the greatest thing to happen since Confederation.
    I don't know if it would or wouldn't be a good thing.

I just know that those who have power/money will resort to violence to make sure they keep the power/money.

Not to digress too much, but just look in to what a net loss, financially, Quebec is for Canada. They essentially run Scandinavian social programs and make little Alberta pay for them through equalization payments. Then they block any and all resource development and pipelines because they're cunts, and they can. It'll be a great day when they leave. A great, great day.

So the leaders declared independence, then took a couple of days off and then ran to Brussels to hide there.
    I guess they weren't prepared to become political martyrs for their cause.

Meanwhile new regional elections will be held on 21st of December.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast