• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sharks' Ward Not Ruling Out Kneeling During National Anthem

Phil

San Jose Sharks forward Joel Ward isn't closing the door on joining fellow professional athletes in taking a knee during the national anthem to protest racial inequality and police brutality.

"It?s definitely something I wouldn?t cross out," Ward said when asked by the Mercury News whether he?d consider taking a knee during the national anthem at an upcoming Sharks game.

"I?ve experienced a lot of racism myself in hockey and on a day-to-day occurrence. I haven?t really sat down to think about it too much yet, but I definitely wouldn?t say no to it."

"I?ve had a few things that have happened to me that you could say are not the norm," he said. "I?ve been singled out at different events. I?ve been pulled over. I?ve dealt with racism right to my face.

"It?s just been part of life that you always have to deal with, so when people get into Kaepernick and some of these other guys, saying that they?re disrespecting the flag, it?s not about just that. It?s about creating awareness about what people, like myself, go through on a day-to-day basis, whether it?s going to the mall or whatever."

If Ward were to decide to kneel, he'd have the support of Sharks head coach Pete DeBoer.

"I went to law school. I?m a big freedom of speech guy. Everyone has the right to message how they want to," said DeBoer.

"That?s what makes our countries great, Canada and the U.S., is the freedom to able to express yourself if you feel like you?ve been wronged or there?s an injustice."

https://www.thescore.com/news/1383943

I highly doubt this.

The mojority of players are foreign born - they really have no right to protest our country or flag, and they know this.

As for the long-time players, standing on that blueline is a huge honor. This isnt football, where it just started. Hockey culture has a lot of tradition. Football is a money grabber, and theres little loyalty or commitment to the sport or the team you represent. Not only that, but hockey players are there for the team... you wont see hockey players pull some of the unsportsmanlike shenanigans selfish football players pull on a regular basis.

I could only imagine what would happen to a player on the opposing team, a foreigner, took a knee to disrespect my anthem, in my house... that mofo would have a target on his back - due to his actions, not color - for not only that game, but the rest of his career.

"supporting athletes speaking out" and "supporting athletes kneeling for the anthem" are completely different things.

It seems most players agree that protesting the flag/anthem isnt something theyd do

Ward mentioned kneeling (probably because his career is about over and he can blame his shit game on racism)

Daley says hes not happy, would go to WH for cup ceremony, but undecided (says "scheduling")

Reaves said he wouldnt go to WH bc he doesnt like Trump

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/9/25/16361646/nhl-players-coaches-respond-to-anthem-protests-donald-trump-penguins-white-house

P.K. Subban said on Tuesday that he will ?never? kneel during the national anthem to protest something politically.

Subban performed at a fundraiser on Tuesday night at Zanies Comedy Club in Nashville, to benefit Comedy Cares. He told the audience that he would ?never? take a knee during the national anthem, because he has too much respect for the American flag. His comments were sent to us by two eyewitnesses, and confirmed by the Predators. Subban, who is Canadian, is considered the most prominent black player in pro hockey.

Earlier in the day, the Nashville Predators announced that, as a team, they would not engage in any protests during the national anthem. This came less than two days after hundreds of NFL players, coaches and executives showed solidarity in rebuking President Donald Trump?s comments that players who protested police brutality against African-Americans during the national anthem were ?sons of bitches? who deserved to lose their jobs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/p-k-subban-says-hell-never-kneel-national-anthem-161139398.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Sports is supposed to be an escape from the everyday drags. It's supposed to be the one place you can't get your mind off of things for about 3 hours. I'm tired of this, you want to protest, then do it off the field/ice where I'm not paying for it. I'm here to watch you do your job, not care about your poloitical views.

Sports is supposed to be an escape from the everyday drags. It's supposed to be the one place you can't get your mind off of things for about 3 hours. I'm tired of this, you want to protest, then do it off the field/ice where I'm not paying for it. I'm here to watch you do your job, not care about your poloitical views.

Is it?

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2017/09/25/ap_3608140491_custom-d396ab35779b668d715771de66b7f5655f24ddff-s2500-c85.jpg

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2017/09/25/ap_10031807446-71cc3a8da6b2dee7ec5e8aa08914fdbfa3a753fc-s1000-c85.jpg

the_nhl_on_how_hockey_reacted_to_tragedy.jpg?ssl=1

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Miracle-On-Ice.jpg

Is it?

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2017/09/25/ap_3608140491_custom-d396ab35779b668d715771de66b7f5655f24ddff-s2500-c85.jpg

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2017/09/25/ap_10031807446-71cc3a8da6b2dee7ec5e8aa08914fdbfa3a753fc-s1000-c85.jpg

the_nhl_on_how_hockey_reacted_to_tragedy.jpg?ssl=1

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Miracle-On-Ice.jpg

Only the first picture is a political statement. The next two changed the game, but weren't solely done for political reasons. And you honestly can't put 9/11 in this conversation, it's like honoring those killed in the hurricanes or a plane crash. Honoring someone is a lot different than a political statement.

The point is that politics and sports aren't mutually exclusive giants. One of the richest traditions I'm human history?the Olympics?is a type of forced integration between both worlds.

I get that you might be sick of not being able to turn away from this type of thing, but that's precisely their point. You can afford to. They can't. That's exactly why they do this for the world to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The point is that politics and sports aren't mutually exclusive giants. One of the richest traditions I'm human history—the Olympics—is a type of forced integration between both worlds.

I get that you might be sick of not being able to turn away from this type of thing, but that's precisely their point. You can afford to. They can't. That's exactly why they do this for the world to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Olympics was not based on politics when it first started. It has turned that way because it's a world wide thing, and with everything that is going on in the world, and the differences between countries, it's going to happen. But the Olympics are a far different element than North American Sports. Breaking the racial barrier aside, North American sports has never been politically based.politics has been left out of the game itself, as it should be.

I was hoping he would kneel, but he is right in that the focus has shifted from racial injustice and inequality from simply protesting the president/the flag/anthem, which it wasn't and never should be about. I hope more pro athletes use their elevated status and stages to give voices to the unheard in any way they think would help, and it shouldn't matter whether or not it is convenient or not.

The protests are getting people to talk about the issue, which is relevant when trying to create change. Joel Ward speaking about the option of kneeling does this as well, and his statement goes even deeper for those that can read more than 140 characters. I think it's a pretty mature statement, and good on him for speaking out. Even if he's Canadian, he's had to deal with these issues while living in America.

It's unfortunate that the reason they are protesting, which is police brutality and racial profiling, is being skewed to only represent disrespecting America, the flag, and the military.

The protests are getting people to talk about the issue, which is relevant when trying to create change. Joel Ward speaking about the option of kneeling does this as well, and his statement goes even deeper for those that can read more than 140 characters. I think it's a pretty mature statement, and good on him for speaking out. Even if he's Canadian, he's had to deal with these issues while living in America.

It's unfortunate that the reason they are protesting, which is police brutality and racial profiling, is being skewed to only represent disrespecting America, the flag, and the military.

Everyone gets what they're doing and why they're doing it. The problem is kneeling does jack shit. Just like all of this "Pray for (insert today's global tragedy)" people say these days. And just like the Kony2012 thing that I joked about in my last post. Ok, people talk about it. Where is it getting them? Get off your knee and go into these areas where the injustice is happening and bring both sides together. Go back to where you grew up, where your friends are being profiled, and organize a flag football game with your boys and some local cops. Let everyone get to know each other. Drink some beers together. The cops don't wanna be profiled as killers any more than anyone else wants to be profiled. Bring the sides together.

Everyone gets what they're doing and why they're doing it. The problem is kneeling does jack shit. Just like all of this "Pray for (insert today's global tragedy)" people say these days. And just like the Kony2012 thing that I joked about in my last post. Ok, people talk about it. Where is it getting them? Get off your knee and go into these areas where the injustice is happening and bring both sides together. Go back to where you grew up, where your friends are being profiled, and organize a flag football game with your boys and some local cops. Let everyone get to know each other. Drink some beers together. The cops don't wanna be profiled as killers any more than than anyone else wants to be profiled. Bring the sides together.

This. Just kneeling and not doing anything beyond that isn't going to solve anything.

Archived