Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preseason Observations/Thoughts

Senior Member Bantam Division

Preseason Observations/Thoughts

This preseason had a little different flavor, particularly given the open slots and the youthful competition vying for not just a current, but future roster spots. Making an impression for later in the season or even next year is just as important. Going in, my expectations for guys we drafted, to make the club, were minimal. However, the void at the C spot (after losing Oscar and Step) combined with the injection of two 'relatively' mature 18 y/o first round Center talents, has sucked us all into the idea of the kids starting their careers in the NHL.

Well I see where some of you stand now, here's my general opinion. I am impressed and believe both could survive a short stint or possibly a fulltime position on the roster. However, my more prudent side thinks the team and the players would benefit most if they start in the A. Or possibly in Europe, if a favorable situation can be worked out.

In fact, partially due to AV, I'd prefer to see all of the kids we drafted playing big minutes in the best developmental leagues possible with an active plan to bring up the best performers later in the year. AV can then get a good look at guys like Desharnais and other new players, and figure out what he has in the vets and what we are missing.

Some specifics:

Chytil - the most tempting choice to make it out of camp. Josh made an interesting point, the kid is taking in everything, mixing in with solid vets, engaged and like a sponge. Like Josh, I'm going to trust the staff on this one. Unlike other rookies, he just turned 18!, so my inclination is to wait until later in the season. Selfishly, I'd love to see him playing the 3C every game on my TV, but I can wait. His poise is remarkable and he has the offensive presence/awareness of a young Peter Stastny, I'm pleasantly ecstatic. What I don't want for him or any of the kids is that they are put in roles where they get limited ice time. That would be a mistake.

Graves - Can't wait for tonight, the kid's development continues to intrigue me. I think he is ready and would give him a shot on the 3rd pair. He is strong, seems positionally solid and a pretty good skater now. His point shot and wrister are excellent. Unfortunately, the roster still contains Staal and Holden. With AV, I don't see him making the opening roster. I would trade Holden and sit/trade Staal instead. AV won't.

Andersson - he has the strength, skating ability, and defensive chops to jump into a 4th line role almost immediately. For me that is not enough. The kid needs some more time and development, especially to unlock his offensive potential. Typical Swede, I'm pleased with his potential and upside.

I don't believe any other draft choices have a shot this year. Some other player observations.

DeAngelo - seems like a lock on the right side, 3rd Pair. Good puck mover, skater, tough and pretty solid defensively thus far. He may be a real deal NHL Dman and very nice acquisition.

Kampfer - I was mocked by many of you in May, when I made my surprise prediction that he makes the team. Well, AV may blow it, so I may be wrong, but he deserves to make the team. Why? This kid was good during the Bruin Cup run and then got injured. He comported himself great in the few NHL games he played last year. He is fully recovered and has his quickness back. Love his positional defense, makes nice passes out of the D zone, reliable, can be aggressive, good behind the net and along the boards. He also has a decent accurate shot. Excellent preseason, consistent.

Pionk - looks nice, we need to see more of him in Hartford. Get him some top pair minutes and bring him up once moves are made or injuries hit.

Bereglazov, Gropp - need at least full year in Hartford. Forget em.

Lettieri - something we all seem to like about him. He is the hard working kid prepared to overcome the long odds. He has gained nice experience along the way and has some hockey sense. You can tell he will get better each game. Looks like he can make things happen and is not mistake prone. He should make the team since he can center, if needed.

Farnham - the dark horse, but love his grit. Worth another watch tonight.

Puempel - shouldn't make this team, just doesn't bring enough of anything. Typical journeyman.

Nieves - most overrated by Ranger fans. Maybe one day he will be good, but he sucked last year in Hartford and hasn't done much this preseason. He needs to have a good 30 games in Hartford before he should even be considered.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 09-26-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Wanted to mention last year's rookies Buch and Vesey. We knew Vesey is the type who will keep learning and growing as a player, during his first 3-4 years. Terrific skater with skills and hockey smarts. I expect he makes a nice leap this year. I was less sure about Buch, but I like what I see. He looks stronger and more assertive offensively. He is gonna score some goals, play some PP, and make some plays. I thought he still had some bust potential, but this preseason proved that he is committed to getting better and better.

BTW, I think when Buch is playing well, he is noticeable on the ice. He's been noticeable every shift this preseason. He'll have some defensive lapses, but he can play D and should get better there.

Forgot Skjei, ha. The guy is a Vet to me. I'll spare y'all my praise and gloating. Suffice, the man is the bomb. Likely our most valuable asset, untradeable. McD (who looks prime) and Skjei are a great one - two punch, on the left side.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 09-26-2017 at 09:26 PM.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    This preseason had a little different flavor, particularly given the open slots and the youthful competition vying for not just a current, but future roster spots. Making an impression for later in the season or even next year is just as important. Going in, my expectations for guys we drafted, to make the club, were minimal. However, the void at the C spot (after losing Oscar and Step) combined with the injection of two 'relatively' mature 18 y/o first round Center talents, has sucked us all into the idea of the kids starting their careers in the NHL.

Well I see where some of you stand now, here's my general opinion. I am impressed and believe both could survive a short stint or possibly a fulltime position on the roster. However, my more prudent side thinks the team and the players would benefit most if they start in the A. Or possibly in Europe, if a favorable situation can be worked out.

In fact, partially due to AV, I'd prefer to see all of the kids we drafted playing big minutes in the best developmental leagues possible with an active plan to bring up the best performers later in the year. AV can then get a good look at guys like Desharnais and other new players, and figure out what he has in the vets and what we are missing.

Some specifics:

Chytil - the most tempting choice to make it out of camp. Josh made an interesting point, the kid is taking in everything, mixing in with solid vets, engaged and like a sponge. Like Josh, I'm going to trust the staff on this one. Unlike other rookies, he just turned 18!, so my inclination is to wait until later in the season. Selfishly, I'd love to see him playing the 3C every game on my TV, but I can wait. His poise is remarkable and he has the offensive presence/awareness of a young Peter Stastny, I'm pleasantly ecstatic. What I don't want for him or any of the kids is that they are put in roles where they get limited ice time. That would be a mistake.

Graves - Can't wait for tonight, the kid's development continues to intrigue me. I think he is ready and would give him a shot on the 3rd pair. He is strong, seems positionally solid and a pretty good skater now. His point shot and wrister are excellent. Unfortunately, the roster still contains Staal and Holden. With AV, I don't see him making the opening roster. I would trade Holden and sit/trade Staal instead. AV won't.

Andersson - he has the strength, skating ability, and defensive chops to jump into a 4th line role almost immediately. For me that is not enough. The kid needs some more time and development, especially to unlock his offensive potential. Typical Swede, I'm pleased with his potential and upside.

I don't believe any other draft choices have a shot this year. Some other player observations.

DeAngelo - seems like a lock on the right side, 3rd Pair. Good puck mover, skater, tough and pretty solid defensively thus far. He may be a real deal NHL Dman and very nice acquisition.

Kampfer - I was mocked by many of you in May, when I made my surprise prediction that he makes the team. Well, AV may blow it, so I may be wrong, but he deserves to make the team. Why? This kid was good during the Bruin Cup run and then got injured. He comported himself great in the few NHL games he played last year. He is fully recovered and has his quickness back. Love his positional defense, makes nice passes out of the D zone, reliable, can be aggressive, good behind the net and along the boards. He also has a decent accurate shot. Excellent preseason, consistent.

Pionk - looks nice, we need to see more of him in Hartford. Get him some top pair minutes and bring him up once moves are made or injuries hit.

Bereglazov, Gropp - need at least full year in Hartford. Forget em.

Lettieri - something we all seem to like about him. He is the hard working kid prepared to overcome the long odds. He has gained nice experience along the way and has some hockey sense. You can tell he will get better each game. Looks like he can make things happen and is not mistake prone. He should make the team since he can center, if needed.

Farnham - the dark horse, but love his grit. Worth another watch tonight.

Puempel - shouldn't make this team, just doesn't bring enough of anything. Typical journeyman.

Nieves - most overrated by Ranger fans. Maybe one day he will be good, but he sucked last year in Hartford and hasn't done much this preseason. He needs to have a good 30 games in Hartford before he should even be considered.
    I pretty much agree with everything said here.

As for Boo, his development has been hurt by injuries, especially last season. Probably our next Hrivik..

Lettieri - love the kids willingness. Reminds me a lot of Hagelin when he got here, a guy will to skate and do anything. Still needs work in the defensive zone

Senior Member Junior Division
    Calling Kampfer a "kid" is very nice of you. Dude's almost 30.

Who overrates Nieves? I have never heard anything about him other than he's a 4th liner.

I love DeAngelo's play. It would be a shame if he didn't make the team
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I assumed Deangelo was a lock...

Hell Fontaine or Carey deserve to make this team before Puempel or Nieves.

Fontaine keeps showing up, another pretty skater, who gives a lot of effort and is on the puck a lot. I need to see him and Carey more to develop a better opinion, but seems like there is some potential.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    The issue on Carey and Puempel is they require waivers. Might be a factor in the Rangers decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    The issue on Carey and Puempel is they require waivers. Might be a factor in the Rangers decision.

They can be sent down before the start of the season without clearing waivers, no?
    LGR!

Yeah, they are all kids to me. I think of Kampfer as a kid in Boston, and hasn't had a healthy run since. Man, can Kampfer skate. He and DeAngelo change the speed equation on the blue line. He's a righty and allows flexibility with Smith. He's a perfect bottom of the roster Dman for this team.

As for Nieves, it was frustrating to keep reading here for months that he was a lock for our 4C. That's overrated. Poor D, he'd be abused. He can't sniff Oscar's jock. I don't think he's shown NHL level play at all. He needs a year in Hartford to coach up his game, a lot.

DeAngelo made the team and may be a top 4 guy eventually. Impressive given his NHL experience.

Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    They can be sent down before the start of the season without clearing waivers, no?
    No, sir. Still require waivers. But they could be snuck through if you tried to do it now while team's are still determining what their final rosters will look like. They might be less inclined to put in a claim while they're still relatively at full health.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Doubt either gets claimed, though Vegas is a wildcard. I'd keep Carey over Pump.

Speaking of Vegas, they are planning to move more vets. Some at the deadline, some sooner. We need a Center so we can let the kids develop naturally. 8 teams are after Duchesne and they all say Sakic wants the world. He is not gettable. RNH is liked by the GM and he is not trading him yet. He'd cost too much anyway.

There is one perfect trade target and fit. Bring back Lindberg! He's ready to be a shutdown 3C against top lines and would open things up for Zib and Hayes. even Desharnais in the 4C spot. He allows us to give the kids some seasoning. He can also play wing or 4C once the kids are ready. We need his forecheck desperately, among other things. Add Oscar and this team is ready to go.

What will it take? A tasty 2018 2nd rounder plus which kids do Vegas like? They need some AHLers with upside. Nieves, Gropp, Bereglazov, Kovacs, Carey. Halvestrom? Take any two besides our firsts or Graves. Holden? I'd hate to include Pionk, but I'd do it.

I want to go into the playoffs with proven 3rd line playoff performers who can defend top lines. Fast and Grabs cover the wings, but we need that kind of player at C. Oscar is that guy and has great chemistry with all of them. Honestly we need the depth up front. Hard to imagine winning a Cup this year with guys like Lettieri and Carey (or whoever) in the lineup, during the playoffs.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 09-26-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I have to say that Chytil and Lettieri have been pleasant surprises in camp. I would love to see them both play, but not with limited ice. These are guys that aren't going to help the team on the 4th line. If these kids can push it and play hard and be productive, Hayes could find himself off this team by the end of the year. I think Chytil could be a good second line center eventually for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Doubt either gets claimed, though Vegas is a wildcard. I'd keep Carey over Pump.

Speaking of Vegas, they are planning to move more vets. Some at the deadline, some sooner. We need a Center so we can let the kids develop naturally. 8 teams are after Duchesne and they all say Sakic wants the world. He is not gettable. RNH is liked by the GM and he is not trading him yet. He'd cost too much anyway.

There is one perfect trade target and fit. Bring back Lindberg! He's ready to be a shutdown 3C against top lines and would open things up for Zib and Hayes. even Desharnais in the 4C spot. He allows us to give the kids some seasoning. He can also play wing or 4C once the kids are ready. We need his forecheck desperately, among other things. Add Oscar and this team is ready to go.

What will it take? A tasty 2018 2nd rounder plus which kids do Vegas like? They need some AHLers with upside. Nieves, Gropp, Bereglazov, Kovacs, Carey. Halvestrom? Take any two besides our firsts or Graves. Holden? I'd hate to include Pionk, but I'd do it.

I want to go into the playoffs with proven 3rd line playoff performers who can defend top lines. Fast and Grabs cover the wings, but we need that kind of player at C. Oscar is that guy and has great chemistry with all of them. Honestly we need the depth up front. Hard to imagine winning a Cup this year with guys like Lettieri and Carey (or whoever) in the lineup, during the playoffs.
    I like Oscar Lindberg, but a second-round pick is more than enough for him. VGK are against it numbers wise (roster size). They're not dealing from a position of total strength.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    They dont get claimed. Theres a lot of guys that get sent down at the end of camp, always a few surprising names. These 2 arent anything special, sorry. I'd love to have them available in Hartford, but if not, no big deal.

I like Oscar Lindberg, but a second-round pick is more than enough for him. VGK are against it numbers wise (roster size). They're not dealing from a position of total strength.
    Good point about Vegas, but Oscar is a former 2nd rounder who has outplayed his draft status and is vying for their 2C spot. He is not one of the guys caught up in the numbers game. A Center, entering his prime, on an easy to digest contract, is worth a 2nd plus.

Ok, you talked me out of Pionk. They need a quality AHL forward who has a real chance to make it to the NHL. That's Ryan Gropp, the rest are kinda iffy. Gotta give to get, I'll throw in Nieves or Pump or Holden. Sure Holden is a nice 7th, but he kinda sucks on the right side. Besides he is blocking Graves and Pionk. And Kampfer is better, as well. And we still have Staal who AV will likely not bench.

They don't need another defensemen. What they want is pieces to build on. They're already going to be trading at least one D before the season starts according to George McPhee.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

They don't need another defensemen. What they want is pieces to build on. They're already going to be trading at least one D before the season starts according to George McPhee.
    Oh I hear ya, been following the happenings in Vegas. They have to cut a few Dmen, most are not trade worthy. Though McPhee hopes to pull-off some kind of trade. They could have had such a better D corp, but traded most of the studs. Now they have quantity but lacking enough quality. Doesn't matter though, I think they are content to tank. Which is why they need to trade Lindberg.

Anyway, my take (as I said) is they need quality forward prospects. Guys who can start in the A and have a real shot at the roster next year. That is Gropp. The others are probably not good enough. If it takes Nieves to make the deal, so be it. I'm not gonna worry about a 2nd tier prospect when Oscar is the missing link. Give me a better deal/option that nets us a C like Lindberg.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 09-26-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Senior Member Mite Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    I like the idea of Lettieri as a center as he gives us a 2nd righty center. But I don't think AV is even thinking of the whole lefty/righty thing.
    I know Deshanias played well but at 31 and Carey at 29. I wouldn't expect much and therefore would have them in Hartford as insurance.
    Chytil between to vets like Nash and Zuccs makes the most sense.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    I like the idea of Lettieri as a center as he gives us a 2nd righty center. But I don't think AV is even thinking of the whole lefty/righty thing.
    I know Deshanias played well but at 31 and Carey at 29. I wouldn't expect much and therefore would have them in Hartford as insurance.
    Chytil between to vets like Nash and Zuccs makes the most sense.
    Lettieri can play the right wing for Fast, on the fourth line.

Whiskers, thinking something similar if we decide to keep Chytil. Nash seems to have taken him under his wing and they seem to compliment each other. A line of Nash - Chytil - Miller gives the kid more physical protection than Zuc, and a second faceoff guy. Then the other top lines could look like Kreids - Zib - Buch, reestablish that chemistry. Plus a nicely balanced line of Vesey - Hayes - Zuc. Hayes gets speed on the wings, Vesey gets set-up by two excellent passers. 4th line easy: Grabs - Desharnais - Lettieri

Anyone notice how well Graves played again. He has the potential to be an impact player, given his size, shot, presence. The rest of his game seems above average too. He is the third best LHD on the team and should start on the third pair. If it were a meritocracy...

Well, maybe he benefits from a few more months in Hartford with new coaches? If he comes out of the gates strong, the Rangers will have to call him up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast