Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jaguars, Ravens Players Kneel During Anthem to Protest Trump

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Actually he was pulling for him but supposedly Kaepernicks girl friend made a comment on social media about Lewis (some uncle Tom BS), due to the fact that Lewis had management's ear.. He would have had the job.
    This is true ,his own girl cost him a few million

I think its disrespectful by some of the protest ,but they sure are taking the $$$$$$$$,there is other ways to protest

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Yeah, like antifa. "Disrespectful" is an arbitrary term. What it really means is "this hurts my feelings" or "this makes me upset".

Whites in the south probably found sit in protests disrespectful. Whites in segregated schools probably found non-whites using "white only" water fountains disrespectful. Rosa Parks refusal to move her seat on the bus was disrespectful. All depending on who you ask.

Disrespect, or more actually perceived disrespect, is not a legitimate reason in my eyes. It's soft censorship and it's a stone's throw away from "that's offensive" or "I'm offended"—two of the most useless words strung together and presented as an argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

There's is big difference between the two,the one started on the field was a personal agenta that disrespected our flag and your public law enforcements,your place of work shouldn't be where you protest ,maybe public places like city hall should be where you protest,I would have a lot more respect for that player to do something like that

Senior Member Junior Division
    wrong, you shouldn't protest where it bursts a snowflakes bubble

Last edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything; 09-27-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    There's is big difference between the two,the one started on the field was a personal agenta that disrespected our flag and your public law enforcements,your place of work shouldn't be where you protest ,maybe public places like city hall should be where you protest,I would have a lot more respect for that player to do something like that
    Before or during the national anthem is EXACTLY where athletes should protest because it's when there's the most visibility. "Place of work" doesn't mean the same thing for you and I as it does for someone in the NFL.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Before or duiring the national anthem is EXACTLY where athletes should protest because it's when there's the most visibility. "Place of work" doesn't mean the same thing for you and I as it does for someone in the NFL.
    I highly doubt this.
    The mojority of players are foreign born - they really have no right to protest our country or flag, and they know this.
    As for the long-time players, standing on that blueline is a huge honor. This isnt football, where it just started. Hockey culture has a lot of tradition. Football is a money grabber, and theres little loyalty or commitment to the sport or the team you represent. Not only that, but hockey players are there for the team... you wont see hockey players pull some of the unsportsmanlike shenanigans selfish football players pull on a regular basis.

I could only imagine what would happen to a player on the opposing team, a foreigner, took a knee to disrespect my anthem, in my house... that mofo would have a target on his back - due to his actions, not color - for not only that game, but the rest of his career.

"supporting athletes speaking out" and "supporting athletes kneeling for the anthem" are completely different things.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    wtf, how did that end up in this thread?

Ravens fan petitioned to remove statue of Ray Lewis for kneeling.

Honestly, screw them... they wanted a statue of a murderer, they get a statue of a murderer.

If this was really about police brutality on black people why aren't these "fine young men" protesting in front of POLICE STATIONS and not pissing on the very flag that represents their right to do so? It's all about insanely rich, coddled, spoiled (many not so bright) piss ants that got their panties in a wad because trump called them names. BTW, a lot of this happens in inner city poorer areas that have been run by democrats who run the police force for years. Yet the morons keep voting those very "leaders" back to office.

Moderator Junior Division
    I will never understand the "disrespect to the flag" arguments. It's almost purposely ignorant of what's actually being protested and just finding a reason to be mad.

And, not for nothing, but it's unconstitutional for flags to be held parallel to the ground like the giant ones before NFL games always are. Is that not disrespectful?

Quote Originally Posted by NY Chief View Post
    If this was really about police brutality on black people who aren't these "fine young men" protesting in front of POLICE STATIONS and not pissing on the very flag that represents their right to do so? It's all about insanely rich, coddled, spoiled (many not so bright) piss ants that got their panties in a wad because trump called them names. BTW, a lot of this happens in inner city poorer areas that have been run by democrats who run the police force for years. Yet the morons keep voting those very "leaders" back to office.
    The point of a protest is to draw attention to an issue. The NFL is a big stage and there are a lot of people watching. The protests started in the streets, in front of police stations and the like.

And they aren't 'Pissing' on the flag. They are exercising their rights. What does being rich have to do with anything? Do you think that being rich means they haven't experienced racism (ignoring the fact that many players started from very humble begginings)

This isn't about republicans or democrats. This is about what they feel is a racist system that has been oppressive to black people. And it's kind of ridiculous to say that our country hasn't historically done that.

I didn't see conservatives freaking out when other conservatives flew their flags upside down to protest obama.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/us...a.html?mcubz=0

and it's not throwing a hissy fit about trump calling them names. It's the President of the United States saying that they, as citizens, shouldn't have the same constitutional rights as he does.

by the way, Kaepernick started sitting for the anthem originally. After meeting with another NFL player who was a former Army Ranger, they reached a conclusion that kneeling was a more respectful way to do so. This isn't about pissing on the flag. It's meant to highlight an issue, and start a discussion. The discussion would've been great, but again, this has been met with black people in America being told how and where they are allowed to express themselves. As long as it doesn't burst your bubble though, its ok. As long as it doesn't have to interrupt you watching the game on your couch eating wings.
    Last edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything; 09-27-2017 at 04:37 PM.

I will never understand the "disrespect to the flag" arguments. It's almost purposely ignorant of what's actually being protested and just finding a reason to be mad.

And, not for nothing, but it's unconstitutional for flags to be held parallel to the ground like the giant ones before NFL games always are. Is that not disrespectful?
    and it's not messed up for Budweiser to use the flag on their cans for marketing purposes right? That's ay ok

Senior Member Bantam Division
    It's not a free speech issue. No one is calling for them to be arrested or charged with crimes. No one is saying people can't protest. The issue is protesting while they are at work, for a private company (a private company that has spent how many billions of taxpayer dollars to build stadiums). Its the NFL's call as to what they allow their employees to do, and people in turn can stop watching if they choose. Look at the ratings. If your protest causes ratings to drop is it effective? Instead of doing something productive for their cause, they are alienating their consumers. No one is talking about police brutality. Everyone is talking about kneeling and flags.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I highly doubt this.
    The mojority of players are foreign born - they really have no right to protest our country or flag, and they know this.
    As for the long-time players, standing on that blueline is a huge honor. This isnt football, where it just started. Hockey culture has a lot of tradition. Football is a money grabber, and theres little loyalty or commitment to the sport or the team you represent. Not only that, but hockey players are there for the team... you wont see hockey players pull some of the unsportsmanlike shenanigans selfish football players pull on a regular basis.

I could only imagine what would happen to a player on the opposing team, a foreigner, took a knee to disrespect my anthem, in my house... that mofo would have a target on his back - due to his actions, not color - for not only that game, but the rest of his career.

"supporting athletes speaking out" and "supporting athletes kneeling for the anthem" are completely different things.
    They're not protesting the flag or the country. They're protesting racial injustice and inequality. They're using the anthem as the vehicle to deliver that protest.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Or to be worn, or to be drawn on, or to be flown in incliment weather. It should also never be used to advertise, including in uniforms.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie

Thinking this isn't disrespectful to the flag or anthem is ignorant.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    They're not protesting the flag or the country. They're protesting racial injustice and inequality. They're using the anthem as the vehicle to deliver that protest.
    They don't even know what they are protesting.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Or to be worn, or to be drawn on, or to be flown in incliment weather. It should also never be used to advertise, including in uniforms.
    Don't post this bullshit when you are claiming this "isn't disrespectful "

Apples to oranges
    Your favorite saying.
    Way off, phil.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    The point of a protest is to draw attention to an issue. The NFL is a big stage and there are a lot of people watching. The protests started in the streets, in front of police stations and the like.

And they aren't 'Pissing' on the flag. They are exercising their rights. What does being rich have to do with anything? Do you think that being rich means they haven't experienced racism (ignoring the fact that many players started from very humble begginings)

This isn't about republicans or democrats. This is about what they feel is a racist system that has been oppressive to black people. And it's kind of ridiculous to say that our country hasn't historically done that.

I didn't see conservatives freaking out when other conservatives flew their flags upside down to protest obama.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/us...a.html?mcubz=0

and it's not throwing a hissy fit about trump calling them names. It's the President of the United States saying that they, as citizens, shouldn't have the same constitutional rights as he does.

by the way, Kaepernick started sitting for the anthem originally. After meeting with another NFL player who was a former Army Ranger, they reached a conclusion that kneeling was a more respectful way to do so. This isn't about pissing on the flag. It's meant to highlight an issue, and start a discussion. The discussion would've been great, but again, this has been met with black people in America being told how and where they are allowed to express themselves. As long as it doesn't burst your bubble though, its ok. As long as it doesn't have to interrupt you watching the game on your couch eating wings.
    Why was the outrage against Tebow kneeling OK but this isn't? Why did the NFL tell the Dallas Cowboys they couldn't wear a sticker supporting police officers who were murdered in their city or threaten to fine players who wore 9/11 tributes on their cleats on 9/11 during games, but they allow players to kneel?

Thinking this isn't disrespectful to the flag or anthem is ignorant.
    You've got it precisely backward. Kaepernick clarified things early on. He originally sat for the anthem and it was suggested to him by a Navy Seal to kneel instead because it wouldn't be disrespectful.

They don't even know what they are protesting.
    Who is they? Kaepernick does. So does Bennett. Effectively, everyone who knelt before Monday's odd show of force against Trump was on the same page. They were protesting the same thing Kaepernick is/was — racial injustice and inequality.

Don't post this bullshit when you are claiming this "isn't disrespectful "

Apples to oranges
    Your favorite saying.
    Way off, phil.
    The point is that "it's disrespectful" is not a valid criticism of this form of protest.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast