Thread: Don LaGreca Goes on Football Analytics Rant

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Don LaGreca Goes on Football Analytics Rant

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Member Mite Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    His rants are great, the best part is Michael Kay just staring forward during the entire thing.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I do believe analytics/advanced stats don't really tell the entire story and sometimes the 'eye test' get kind of unaccounted for, but those stats also breakdown things in ways that we never really saw before and have helped GMs make better decisions. I can't imagine being this angry at advanced stats. But then again, old people typically lash out at things they don't really understand.

Moderator Junior Division
    Advanced stats have a place in hockey if they're used right. They're completely useless in football.

Hockey analytics are too often used by guys to make a case for/against a player they don't really watch. They often fall short because they don't account for responsibilities and what the other 5 guys on the ice are doing. That's an even bigger problem in football.

Senior Member Junior Division
    yeah, I guess I shouldn't apply my theory to football since I admittedly (despite my success in Fantasy Football) don't know too much about the sport.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    yeah, I guess I shouldn't apply my theory to football since I admittedly (despite my success in Fantasy Football) don't know too much about the sport.
    I mean, you're not wrong. "analytics/advanced stats don't really tell the entire story" is always true. In football, it's just that they pain an even smaller piece of the picture than they do in hockey.