Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 74

Thread: Rangers/Isles Preseason Game #1 7pm, MSG

  1. #41
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Power
    75
    The kids are alright.

  2. #42
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,419
    Rep Power
    79
    Good to hear. Hope to see some in person on Wednesday nite at MSG.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  3. #43
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,644
    Rep Power
    55
    I had to jet after the first. I loved what I saw of Andersson, albeit only a few shifts.
    Pionk scored? Awesome!
    Can't wait to see DeAngelo more.

    Re: the penalties - we knew this was going to happen. The NHL issued that notice about refs calling more obstruction penalties. So, yeah. First game of the pre-season? Do everything they tell you to do.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  4. #44
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,938
    Rep Power
    41
    What I took from what I saw:

    Miller- looked really comfortable at the center spot. How he goes from the blue line to the net with the puck, is what I would like to see more of from all forwards.

    Farnham- lil spark plug. Could easily earn a spot as the extra forward. I like that in this game, he could skate away from scrums, and not do anything stupid.

    Nieves- I'd have liked to see more of him. Got an assist on the game winner. Looks defensively responsible. Good skater. From this game, I like him as the 4th line center.

    Desjardins- Meh. Can't say I saw much of anything from him. Not all too noticable.

    Carey- Meh. Had a decent opportunity in the third. Wasn't bad or anything.

    Schneider - I like this dude. Had multiple opportunities, was in the right spot most of the night. Missed/ rushed a backhand that he got robbed on in the third. Want to see more of him.

    Grabner- Usual. Passed up a good chance in the 2nd electing to pass when he should have shot. Had a couple breaks toward the net where he used his speed, like we all want to see.

    Andersson- I don't know. 7th overall? Looked ok. Seems to be good on the draw. Didn't look overwhelmed. Just didn't look like he had anything better than anyone else on the ice.

    Fontaine- Nothing to really mention about his game. Can't say I noticed him all that much .

    Nash- Played well. Was setting up in front of the net a heck of a lot. Clicked well with Miller and Buch. I think I'd like to see Zucc on the other wing, to maximize Nash's and Miller's skill set. Buch was a lil too much of a perimeter guy tonight.

    Buchnevich- Played ok. Nothing noticably bad or really overly good. Didn't look to have very much chemistry with his line. Not saying he can't though. I hope he can stay healthy. The Rangers are going to be expecting a big step forward from him this season.

    Lettieri- - Not bad. Not sure what to expect from him really.

    McDonagh- Looking good. Wish he would shoot a bit more.

    Pionk- Was thinking his shot wasn't all too impressive, and his offense was more AHL calibre. Then he scored the ot winner off a frikken spino-rama on a hell of a shot. Dunno if that goes in with an NHL goalie in net, but he looked ok..

    Kampfer- looking like the 7th D man spot could easily be his. May rush his shots a bit, but I'd rather that than a guy who hesitates.

    Holden- I don't know man. He didn't look too good. I figured he'd get some PP time, but he didn't as far as I recall. Didn't seem to have his legs tonight. At least last season he had that going for him. After a decent first 3/4 of last season, this guy looks broken.

    Graves- Surprised with his offensive game and skating. Looked better than Holden.

    DeAngelo- I like that he wants to shoot. I liked his interview during the 2nd intermission. Has a good head on his shoulders. He was knocked around quite a bit though. Hope he can sustain that kind of grind, game in game out. I think he's a better puck carrier than he is a passer. Dan Boyle- esque, only with better skating.

    Pavelec - Not really tested, but no goals is good. Glad to hear Joe and Sam say Allaire said that they can do something with this guy.

    Halverson- I'm surprised this guy doesn't get talked about. He's a big dude, and looked as though he was solid at moving the puck. He's still only 21? Curious to see where his career goes.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    386
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    What I took from what I saw:

    Miller- looked really comfortable at the center spot. How he goes from the blue line to the net with the puck, is what I would like to see more of from all forwards.

    Farnham- lil spark plug. Could easily earn a spot as the extra forward. I like that in this game, he could skate away from scrums, and not do anything stupid.

    Nieves- I'd have liked to see more of him. Got an assist on the game winner. Looks defensively responsible. Good skater. From this game, I like him as the 4th line center.

    Desjardins- Meh. Can't say I saw much of anything from him. Not all too noticable.

    Carey- Meh. Had a decent opportunity in the third. Wasn't bad or anything.

    Schneider - I like this dude. Had multiple opportunities, was in the right spot most of the night. Missed/ rushed a backhand that he got robbed on in the third. Want to see more of him.

    Grabner- Usual. Passed up a good chance in the 2nd electing to pass when he should have shot. Had a couple breaks toward the net where he used his speed, like we all want to see.

    Andersson- I don't know. 7th overall? Looked ok. Seems to be good on the draw. Didn't look overwhelmed. Just didn't look like he had anything better than anyone else on the ice.

    Fontaine- Nothing to really mention about his game. Can't say I noticed him all that much .

    Nash- Played well. Was setting up in front of the net a heck of a lot. Clicked well with Miller and Buch. I think I'd like to see Zucc on the other wing, to maximize Nash's and Miller's skill set. Buch was a lil too much of a perimeter guy tonight.

    Buchnevich- Played ok. Nothing noticably bad or really overly good. Didn't look to have very much chemistry with his line. Not saying he can't though. I hope he can stay healthy. The Rangers are going to be expecting a big step forward from him this season.

    Lettieri- - Not bad. Not sure what to expect from him really.

    McDonagh- Looking good. Wish he would shoot a bit more.

    Pionk- Was thinking his shot wasn't all too impressive, and his offense was more AHL calibre. Then he scored the ot winner off a frikken spino-rama on a hell of a shot. Dunno if that goes in with an NHL goalie in net, but he looked ok..

    Kampfer- looking like the 7th D man spot could easily be his. May rush his shots a bit, but I'd rather that than a guy who hesitates.

    Holden- I don't know man. He didn't look too good. I figured he'd get some PP time, but he didn't as far as I recall. Didn't seem to have his legs tonight. At least last season he had that going for him. After a decent first 3/4 of last season, this guy looks broken.

    Graves- Surprised with his offensive game and skating. Looked better than Holden.

    DeAngelo- I like that he wants to shoot. I liked his interview during the 2nd intermission. Has a good head on his shoulders. He was knocked around quite a bit though. Hope he can sustain that kind of grind, game in game out. I think he's a better puck carrier than he is a passer. Dan Boyle- esque, only with better skating.

    Pavelec - Not really tested, but no goals is good. Glad to hear Joe and Sam say Allaire said that they can do something with this guy.

    Halverson- I'm surprised this guy doesn't get talked about. He's a big dude, and looked as though he was solid at moving the puck. He's still only 21? Curious to see where his career goes.
    Thanks for this. First day in my new job today so didn't get a chance to watch (also my gamecentre isn't working so couldn't if I wanted to, on hold to them now! Just what you need after a 12 hour day).

    Like what I hear about Pionk and DeAngelo especially. Andersson matches what I have thought to date, and I think Pavelec will be serviceable personally (Allaire will sort his game out in no time). Agree on Buch and look forward to watching his progress (which may be essential to us being successful this year). Miller I think will be fine. He's a much different player now than when he first broke into the team, and I think his newfound defensive responsibility will bode well for that role. I see his production dropping (not bad in a contract year), but his overall game being better and more rounded. I think he could be a fantastic shutdown C with defensive upside. The rest kind of matches what I expected, especially Farnham. Hated him at the Devlls but in fairness it's the type of player we could use at times (just sparingly, cheap, and on a two way deal if at all). Holden just trade already.

    Early days but seems par for the course so far. Nothing unexpected.

  6. #46
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,220
    Rep Power
    38
    Pionk had a few decent plays throughout the game. Outside of the goal he was steady. That goal was pretty, hopefully its not just a Matt Gilroy kind of moment.

    I thought both Grabner and Nash looked slow, even for a preseason game. Grabner had that one break away that felt like he would have exploded on last season. Guess thats what pre-season is for though.

    Noticed Fontaine a few times, good effort but not much else to talk about.

    Thought Andersson was really strong on the boards and showed up ready to play but besides effort I didnt see much to talk about. I dont know what his face off % was last night but I feel like he won a lot of them.

    Pavelec looked steady but he wasnt really tested.

  7. #47
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,551
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Thought Andersson was really strong on the boards and showed up ready to play but besides effort I didnt see much to talk about. I dont know what his face off % was last night but I feel like he won a lot of them.
    These are things worth talking about. For a team that struggles to posses the puck, these are more important than him making splash plays. Eventually he'll have to produce - and with the right wingers he will I think - but these are the things that will allow him to make the team.

    He was 7-4 on faceoffs - which is 63.6%. Without knowing who they came against, it's hard to take much from that, but it's a good sign regardless.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,541
    Rep Power
    31
    I mean I know it's just the preseason but what a goal right? Like why bother watching the rest of the season after that, shit.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,938
    Rep Power
    41
    I know it was just one game, but I'm really kinda bummed about Andersson. Did they really draft another Jesper Fast with the 7th over all pick,? With much better scoring potential left on the board? Hopefully the other pick shines more. If that is what they wanted from that pick, why not work on a trade with Vegas, so they could keep Lindberg, then draft a scoring threat?

    Sky is falling man. Sky is falling.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,520
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I know it was just one game, but I'm really kinda bummed about Andersson. Did they really draft another Jesper Fast with the 7th over all pick,? With much better scoring potential left on the board? Hopefully the other pick shines more. If that is what they wanted from that pick, why not work on a trade with Vegas, so they could keep Lindberg, then draft a scoring threat?

    Sky is falling man. Sky is falling.
    I don't think anyone is predicting him to be Jesper Fast. He's 18. I wouldn't put too much stock into anything you're seeing.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  11. #51
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,076
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I know it was just one game, but I'm really kinda bummed about Andersson. Did they really draft another Jesper Fast with the 7th over all pick,? With much better scoring potential left on the board? Hopefully the other pick shines more. If that is what they wanted from that pick, why not work on a trade with Vegas, so they could keep Lindberg, then draft a scoring threat?

    Sky is falling man. Sky is falling.


    Reel it in bro. It's just one game is right. He's 18. What are you expecting?

  12. #52
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,938
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post


    Reel it in bro. It's just one game is right. He's 18. What are you expecting?
    I'm expecting some kind of obvious game breaking ability from the 7th overall pick. Whether it be offensive vision, skating, defensive ability, a strong shot, a nose for the net, great face off skills, speed, strength. SOMETHING.

    Obviously you have to give him more of a look and you can't judge a young player solely on one game. But I'd have liked to see something to justify the pick. At least Buch lived up to the hype in his first go at it. I guess I'm nit picking. But so far the original comparison to Fast/lower line player, looks pretty legit.

  13. #53
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,580
    Rep Power
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I'm expecting some kind of obvious game breaking ability from the 7th overall pick. Whether it be offensive vision, skating, defensive ability, a strong shot, a nose for the net, great face off skills, speed, strength. SOMETHING.

    Obviously you have to give him more of a look and you can't judge a young player solely on one game. But I'd have liked to see something to justify the pick. At least Buch lived up to the hype in his first go at it. I guess I'm nit picking. But so far the original comparison to Fast/lower line player, looks pretty legit.
    It was pretty well known that Lias was a "reach" at 7. He was drafted more for his ability to make a more immediate NHL impact compared to his cohorts.... this does not mean "make a huge, noticeable impact at 18". Its also been well-covered that the intentions are for him to play this season for Frolunda, and come over next season. Although its be great to see him make the team, stay, and have a meaningful impact, thats just "hope" and "change" - dont fall for that shit anymore!

    and the name is Malhotra, not Fast.
    Fasth was drafted with little hope of expectation of being an NHL player and overachieved.
    Malhotra was the guy drafted high with some skills, but forced into an NHL role when he wasnt ready, forced into a bottom 6 role, and never developed his offensive game for the NHL level.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,076
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I'm expecting some kind of obvious game breaking ability from the 7th overall pick. Whether it be offensive vision, skating, defensive ability, a strong shot, a nose for the net, great face off skills, speed, strength. SOMETHING.

    Obviously you have to give him more of a look and you can't judge a young player solely on one game. But I'd have liked to see something to justify the pick. At least Buch lived up to the hype in his first go at it. I guess I'm nit picking. But so far the original comparison to Fast/lower line player, looks pretty legit.
    Buch was 21 when he made his debut, 3 years after his draft. Andersson has many of those qualities you mentioned.

  15. #55
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,094
    Rep Power
    274
    Holy shit
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  16. #56
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,938
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    It was pretty well known that Lias was a "reach" at 7. He was drafted more for his ability to make a more immediate NHL impact compared to his cohorts.... this does not mean "make a huge, noticeable impact at 18". Its also been well-covered that the intentions are for him to play this season for Frolunda, and come over next season. Although its be great to see him make the team, stay, and have a meaningful impact, thats just "hope" and "change" - dont fall for that shit anymore!

    and the name is Malhotra, not Fast.
    Fasth was drafted with little hope of expectation of being an NHL player and overachieved.
    Malhotra was the guy drafted high with some skills, but forced into an NHL role when he wasnt ready, forced into a bottom 6 role, and never developed his offensive game for the NHL level.
    Well, yeah, and that's why I hate the pick. Why waste a 1st round pick, when you could have sent a package of late picks to Vegas to keep Lindberg?

    Again, I'm nit picking. Obvious over reaction to one game, but it doesn't look all too good.

    At the draft, I believe the announcer commented that he plays up to the potential of what Fast is. Looks accurate.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,938
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Buch was 21 when he made his debut, 3 years after his draft. Andersson has many of those qualities you mentioned.
    What are the qualities? I see a young kid pigeon holed already, at the age of 18, as a possible 4th line center. I don't draft that at #7. I keep Lindberg.

  18. #58
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,551
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I'm expecting some kind of obvious game breaking ability from the 7th overall pick. Whether it be offensive vision, skating, defensive ability, a strong shot, a nose for the net, great face off skills, speed, strength. SOMETHING.

    Obviously you have to give him more of a look and you can't judge a young player solely on one game. But I'd have liked to see something to justify the pick. At least Buch lived up to the hype in his first go at it. I guess I'm nit picking. But so far the original comparison to Fast/lower line player, looks pretty legit.
    His defensive ability, shot, faceoff skills and strength are all ELITE for an 18 year old. You're making him out to be a 4th liner because he's not Auston Matthews.

  19. #59
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,076
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    What are the qualities? I see a young kid pigeon holed already, at the age of 18, as a possible 4th line center. I don't draft that at #7. I keep Lindberg.
    You're the one pigeonholing him. What #7 picks came into the year the year of their draft and made an immediate impact in the top 6? Its extremely rare. Are you comparing him to McDaivd, Eichel, Matthews, or Liane because that's not realistic. The vast majority of 1st round picks take another year after their draft before they consistently play in the NHL.

    A smart, mature, two-way center…good decision-making, leadership qualities and advanced understanding of the game…a true three-zone player…defensively responsible…will drop to block shots or get his body in passing lanes…dangerous forechecker who reads the defense and uses an active stick to disrupt…covers up the ice for his teammates on the backcheck and always gives an honest effort…doesn’t commit a lot of mistakes and plays a very calm game while in puck possession…has solid offensive instincts…protects the puck very well and uses all of his frame to hold opponents off the puck…possesses a nice, quick shot release…not a flashy puckhandler, but can carry it up ice and distributes it well…goes to the net and plays in traffic…has solid vision and the ability to set up his linemates…has good balance and generates healthy amounts of speed…a potential two-way guy in the Zetterberg mold.
    https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/lias-andersson/

    Is there a problem with a 18 year old kid with a high hockey IQ starting as the 4th line center? That's debatable. The Sedins played under 14 mins per game for their first 4 years in the league. He can be an 18 year old Fast, contribute and grow here, or he can play in the minors or Europe and develop more there, but expecting him to be a dominant player at 18/19 because he was drafted #7 doesn't make sense.

  20. #60
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,644
    Rep Power
    55
    Well said, Long live the king. I definitely agree. You're not seeing the top 31 picks making an immediate impact in the game, or even in the lineup.

    Here are the top 15 picks from 2016:



    Aside from Matthews, Laine, and Tkachuk, these guys barely even got looks last season. Half of them didn't even play in the NHL, and the half that did had 3 games here, 6 games there, etc. The only outlier who got a look and then wasn't used in the NHL was Puljujarvi, who played 28 games with the Oilers.

    Going back to the game: I only caught the first, but from what I saw, Lias has more of an offensive upside than Fast, but I saw him play like...6 shifts, so wtf do I know.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •