Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rangers/Isles Preseason Game #1 7pm, MSG

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    His defensive ability, shot, faceoff skills and strength are all ELITE for an 18 year old. You're making him out to be a 4th liner because he's not Auston Matthews.
    I'm not trying to be a know it all or something, but if his shot and everything were elite, wouldn't he have better numbers? How would he be considered a reach if he has elite everything???

I'm honestly over reacting to this one game. I admit it's pretty dumb to come to any conclusions about him off of one game. I apologise. Let's see what happens. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    You're the one pigeonholing him. What #7 picks came into the year the year of their draft and made an immediate impact in the top 6? Its extremely rare. Are you comparing him to McDaivd, Eichel, Matthews, or Liane because that's not realistic. The vast majority of 1st round picks take another year after their draft before they consistently play in the NHL.

https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/lias-andersson/

Is there a problem with a 18 year old kid with a high hockey IQ starting as the 4th line center? That's debatable. The Sedins played under 14 mins per game for their first 4 years in the league. He can be an 18 year old Fast, contribute and grow here, or he can play in the minors or Europe and develop more there, but expecting him to be a dominant player at 18/19 because he was drafted #7 doesn't make sense.
    Look. I'm sure I can find any top 20 pick from the last five years that will have a similar scouting report. It says he's a well balanced player with really good defensive skills. I don't know. That report translates into a bottom six forward. Usually the guys with "elite" offensive skills will have that in their report, and the scout will gush about it..

I'm not expecting him to jump right in and be a top player. I'm kinda saying, he doesn't seem to be a top end player, from my stupid opinion of what little I've seen and read. Not now. Not ever. I'm not expecting top end, and that bothers me that I think he's not going to top out as anything more than a bottom six guy. I think that, because that's what the scouting report reads IMO. Perhaps you guys think he progresses into something way better. We'll see. You better be right

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    Well said, Long live the king. I definitely agree. You're not seeing the top 31 picks making an immediate impact in the game, or even in the lineup.

Here are the top 15 picks from 2016:

Aside from Matthews, Laine, and Tkachuk, these guys barely even got looks last season. Half of them didn't even play in the NHL, and the half that did had 3 games here, 6 games there, etc. The only outlier who got a look and then wasn't used in the NHL was Puljujarvi, who played 28 games with the Oilers.

Going back to the game: I only caught the first, but from what I saw, Lias has more of an offensive upside than Fast, but I saw him play like...6 shifts, so wtf do I know.
    I'm not sure that list is proving your PoV.
    Thats a list of guys that had amazing rookie seasons, and the rest are expected to make a big impact this season.

//reported Junior Division
    This season, yes. Not the season directly following their draft year. That's what LLTK was saying in reposnse to Dude, I think.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

//reported Junior Division
    In other words, expecting an 18 year old, who is not one of those superstar names, to come in the year of their draft is not likely. It normally takes a year.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    This season, yes. Not the season directly following their draft year. That's what LLTK was saying in reposnse to Dude, I think.
    In other words, expecting an 18 year old, who is not one of those superstar names, to come in the year of their draft is not likely. It normally takes a year.
    Yes, what I was trying to say.

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Holy shit
    Agree.

They have played two preseason games (both won on OT goals by kids) and yet the chicken little association has decided that the #7 pick is a bust because, at 18, he is not immediately Gretzky, Lemieux, Ovechkin or McDavid.

Ridiculous IMHO

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Assessing split squad hockey is ..... not sure of the word or phrase I'm looking for. Lol
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Agree.

They have played two preseason games (both won on OT goals by kids) and yet the chicken little association has decided that the #7 pick is a bust because, at 18, he is not immediately Gretzky, Lemieux, Ovechkin or McDavid.

Ridiculous IMHO

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Right. Because that's what I'm expecting from a player who projects as a 3rd or 4th liner from scouts. Gretzky.

Assessing split squad hockey is ..... not sure of the word or phrase I'm looking for. Lol
    The word or phrase is "over reacting". Like I already admitted.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Then how do you select a team during tryouts????

You can easily assess individual performances during preseason. Hell, this was the 5th game for some of these guys. Proven guys, sure, be a bit lenient... but if this is your fucking job interview, you better bring it. This isnt "pre season" for those guys... and if they cant stand out against another split squad, thats an indication of the talent, skill and abilities of the individual being assessed.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Then how do you select a team during tryouts????

You can easily assess individual performances during preseason. Hell, this was the 5th game for some of these guys. Proven guys, sure, be a bit lenient... but if this is your fucking job interview, you better bring it. This isnt "pre season" for those guys... and if they cant stand out against another split squad, thats an indication of the talent, skill and abilities of the individual being assessed.
    Yeah, I'm not saying it negatively, there's just things to take into consideration before jumping on a guy in either direction.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Yeah, I'm not saying it negatively, there's just things to take into consideration before jumping on a guy in either direction.
    Theres also things to consider when youre reading comments from a bunch of hockey hungry fellas on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Theres also things to consider when youre reading comments from a bunch of hockey hungry fellas on a forum.
    My hunger for hockey isn't as aggressive as everyone else. Lol
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234