Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Hungry and the Hopeful — A Look at Forwards in Training Camp

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    That was quick. They didn't even get into a pre-season game. I wanted to see what these guys had, compared to Andersson.
    none of them are centers, don't really have anything to do with Andersson.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    I meant, skating wise and their skill set, as well as where they are in their development. These guys were drafted two years ago, and they are not playing in pre season, yet Andersson and Chytll or what ever his name is, were drafted this year and they seem to be getting longer looks. It's a little strange.

You could say it's a center thing yet they have some reaches in camp, and some AHL lifers that are getting better looks. .
    Last edited by The Dude; 09-19-2017 at 08:08 PM.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    What does being a center have to do with anything?

I meant, skating wise and their skill set, as well as where they are in their development. These guys were drafted two years ago, and they are not playing in pre season, yet Andersson and Chytll or what ever his name is, were drafted this year and they seem to be getting longer looks. It's a little strange.

You could say it's a center thing yet they have some reaches in camp, and some AHL lifers that are getting better looks. .
    They got a look at their development in Traverse City. Gettinger was a 5th rounder and Ronning a 7th. They shouldn't be getting compared to 2 first rounders. They are still 19 and their junior season starts this weekend. They're getting longer looks because the team has never worked with them before this summer and we actually need a center. There is no room on the wing.

They haven't even signed Ronning yet, and Gettinger's contract will slide. The "AHL lifers" and fringe players are older and burning years of their contracts. They are more in need of evaluation to determine if they have a place in the team's future or will be let go. Some are new to the organization and need to get up to speed in case they're needed for an injury call up.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    They got a look at their development in Traverse City. Gettinger was a 5th rounder and Ronning a 7th. They shouldn't be getting compared to 2 first rounders. They are still 19 and their junior season starts this weekend. They're getting longer looks because the team has never worked with them before this summer and we actually need a center. There is no room on the wing.

They haven't even signed Ronning yet, and Gettinger's contract will slide. The "AHL lifers" and fringe players are older and burning years of their contracts. They are more in need of evaluation to determine if they have a place in the team's future or will be let go. Some are new to the organization and need to get up to speed in case they're needed for an injury call up.
    Theres a third line wing spot, a 4th line wing spot and an extra forward spot.

Ronning is still undersized, Gettinger is too raw, Chapie isnt a look, Kovacs is too inconsistent and plays small. Its assumed all their roles/positions within the organization arent changing this season. These moves were just to get these guys ready for their season, and shorten up the number of guys they are looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Theres a third line wing spot, a 4th line wing spot and an extra forward spot.
    Grabner is on the 3rd line unless Gropp takes that spot, then Grabner and Fast are on the 4th line and Puemple is extra.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Ronning is still undersized, Gettinger is too raw, Chapie isnt a look, Kovacs is too inconsistent and plays small. Its assumed all their roles/positions within the organization arent changing this season. These moves were just to get these guys ready for their season, and shorten up the number of guys they are looking at.
    Pretty much exactly what I said.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Fast is hurt.
    Puempel isnt much. He was only given a contract out of necessity of the expansion draft.

Nash - Zibs - Buchnevich
    Kreider - Hayes - [open]
    Vesey - Miller - Zucc
    Grabner - DD - Fast (out)
    Puempel (terrible)
    Last edited by josh; 09-19-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Option 1:

Kreider - Zibs - Buchnevich
    Nash - Hayes - Zucc
    Vesey - Miller - Grabner
    [open] - DD - Fast (out temporarily)
    Puempel (You're not gonna have a stud 13th forward)

If Gropp makes the team:

Kreider - Zibs - Buchnevich
    Nash - Hayes - Zucc
    Vesey - Miller - Gropp
    Grabner - DD - Fast (out temporarily)
    Puempel (You're not gonna have a stud 13th forward)

Even in your lineup there isn't 3 open wing spots...

Why shouldn't they be compared to first rounders? People are hopeful for a few of those guys, but now they're just 5th rounders?

I can see the argument for the first rounders. But these over age AHL lifers? Some of these guys are 27...

I guess I'm just in a mood to bitch. Sorry.

Why shouldn't they be compared to first rounders? People are hopeful for a few of those guys, but now they're just 5th rounders?

I can see the argument for the first rounders. But these over age AHL lifers? Some of these guys are 27...

I guess I'm just in a mood to bitch. Sorry.
    They shouldn't be compared to first rounders for the same reason they weren't drafted in the first round. And those 27 year olds are gonna be the guys that get emergency call up 4th line minutes. You don't want Gettinger getting called up to play 6 minutes in a game.

Junior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Kreider - Zibanajed - Buchnevich
    Zuccs - Hayes - Nash
    Grabner - Miller - Vesey
    Puempel/Fast - Desharnais - Desjardins

They shouldn't be compared to first rounders for the same reason they weren't drafted in the first round. And those 27 year olds are gonna be the guys that get emergency call up 4th line minutes. You don't want Gettinger getting called up to play 6 minutes in a game.
    No... But I'd like to see where he's at in development. I'd like to see how he stacks up at the moment, compared to Andersson and the 27 year olds. I'm not suggesting they should be looked at as possible roster additions. Just more in game action against men, and to stay a bit with the team, to see what others are doing.

No... But I'd like to see where he's at in development. I'd like to see how he stacks up at the moment, compared to Andersson and the 27 year olds. I'm not suggesting they should be looked at as possible roster additions. Just more in game action against men, and to stay a bit with the team, to see what others are doing.
    That's what Traverse City is for

That's what Traverse City is for
    Not really. It's for prospects. Not AHL and NHL vets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12