Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hungry and the Hopeful — A Look at Forwards in Training Camp

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

The Hungry and the Hopeful — A Look at Forwards in Training Camp

New York Rangers 2017 Training Camp began today with player physical tests and head coach Alain Vigneault’s media availability. This season’s edition of training camp brings some interesting storylines in the form of roster openings due to the moves made during the offseason. Most notably, the Rangers traded center Derek Stepan to the Arizona Coyotes forcing the Rangers to bump Mika Zibanejad and Kevin Hayes up the center depth chart. Oscar Lindberg was claimed by the Las Vegas Golden Knights in the NHL Expansion Draft. Jesper Fast underwent hip surgery in June that is expected to keep him out until late October. And, just as training camp began, J.T. Miller was confirmed to start the season as a center, filling the third line center role.

In this piece we focus on the forward roster openings and investigate some players that are hungry and hopeful to make the big team come October. We look at favorites like David Desharnais and Matt Puempel while also touching on some dark horses like Ryan Gropp or Steven Fogarty.

Click here to view the article.

Moderator Junior Division
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it's a possibility for Gropp to take spot as a winger on the third line. That would make moving JT to center a lot more palatable because he'd be playing with a scorer and it would allow Grabs and Fast to stay on the 4th line.

Maybe that's after some more AHL seasoning, but that'd be ideal if it's possible.

I'm also really hoping that Boo grabs the 4c spot from DD. Even in limited action last year, he really looked to have a strong presence on the ice.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I'm thinking the same, Future. I get the feeling he's probably the most poised to make the kind of impact needed.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I'm thinking the same, Future. I get the feeling he's probably the most poised to make the kind of impact needed.
    Whoever the third winger is with JT and, for now lets just say Vesey, should be a scorer. Gropp won't do many things well right away, but if he's responsible enough, Miller and Vesey should give him enough space to get that shot off. In the same way I'd rather just role with Lias or a young guy at 3c with strong wings, I'd rather give a guy who fits the right mold a shot at the wing on that line, even if they aren't going to be perfect.

I'm not really holding my breath though, since he couldn't even crack the AHL last year.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Whoever the third winger is with JT and, for now lets just say Vesey, should be a scorer. Gropp won't do many things well right away, but if he's responsible enough, Miller and Vesey should give him enough space to get that shot off. In the same way I'd rather just role with Lias or a young guy at 3c with strong wings, I'd rather give a guy who fits the right mold a shot at the wing on that line, even if they aren't going to be perfect.

I'm not really holding my breath though, since he couldn't even crack the AHL last year.
    Given Miller's going to be go through some transition pains, I'd think things shape up like this:

Kreider - Z - Buch
    Grabner - Hayes - MZA
    Vesey - Miller - Nash

Gives Miller a strong defensive forward with Nash to help out with any mistakes and Miller's a really underated passer so he could spring Nash into holes he can use for those power moves to the net while also finding Vesey for one timers. I don't love Grabner on that second line, so maybe you can slot in Gropp there and keep Grabner with Fast when he gets back. Fourth line's going to be garbage until early November.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    I think Gabriel Fontaine is someone we should be looking out for. He has the defensive pedigree to take a spot on the fourth line. He's built for bottom six play. It might be a bit early for him, but I can't really think of anyone who meets the qualifications as well as he does. If he can come out with a strong performance, I find it hard to imagine him not making the team.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Given Miller's going to be go through some transition pains, I'd think things shape up like this:

Kreider - Z - Buch
    Grabner - Hayes - MZA
    Vesey - Miller - Nash

Gives Miller a strong defensive forward with Nash to help out with any mistakes and Miller's a really underated passer so he could spring Nash into holes he can use for those power moves to the net while also finding Vesey for one timers. I don't love Grabner on that second line, so maybe you can slot in Gropp there and keep Grabner with Fast when he gets back. Fourth line's going to be garbage until early November.
    Could do that, sure. At least early on those three lines should be enough to win games.

Ideally, I'm keeping Fast and Grabner together on the 4th line, I don't really care who the C is. Gropp would just make things so much easier in this regard.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Could do that, sure. At least early on those three lines should be enough to win games.

Ideally, I'm keeping Fast and Grabner together on the 4th line, I don't really care who the C is. Gropp would just make things so much easier in this regard.
    Which means we'll probably have Puempel on the 2nd line wing because AV.

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    I prefer Hayes with someone like Grabner, he needs to play with speed IMO. His best moments have come with Hagelin and Grabner on his wing, I would even consider trying him with Kreider (although I do like him with Z and Buch/Zuccarello).

Stepan stifled Nash & Vesey due to his slow foot speed (and all round general play), and I don't see Hayes improving that. Miller should work much better with them.

I also agree that I hope Nieves takes the 4th C spot. I get the impression that Anderson isn't quite ready yet. It will be interesting to see whether it's Hartford or Frolunda for him.

Gropp (& Ronning) looked decent to me in Traverse so will be nice if he can get some NHL action this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Midget Division
    I'm hoping for something like:

Kreider- Zib- Buch
    Nash- Miller- Zucc
    Vesey- Hayes- Grabber
    Pompeii- Desharnias/Nieves- Fast/ Gropp

I want Miller getting the ice time and the opportunity to play with better wingers. Flip flop Nash/ Zucc to which ever wing works best for them. A line that just attacks the fuck out of the net and buzzes around it.

I think Hayes would work well with Grabber and Vesey. Their styles may work best together. Hayes ability to hold on to the puck, IMO clashes with what I think Nash's skill set should be used as (taking the puck to the net consistently). That line brings a little bit of everything, and has less pressure on it. Really not into giving Hayes a bigger role. Ad nauseum. Sorry I keep saying that.

Desharnias on the 4th line? Not sure if that fits. Not really the player for the job. I think Nieves could be molded into what AV would want from that spot. Obviously Anderson too. But with Desharnias signed, I'd imagine he's on the roster. Maybe in a Pirri like role as the extra forward who could maybe play the wing and get some PP time. Unless I'm all wrong and he kills penalties.

I'm hoping for something like:

Kreider- Zib- Buch
    Nash- Miller- Zucc
    Vesey- Hayes- Grabber
    Pompeii- Desharnias/Nieves- Fast/ Gropp

I want Miller getting the ice time and the opportunity to play with better wingers. Flip flop Nash/ Zucc to which ever wing works best for them. A line that just attacks the fuck out of the net and buzzes around it.

I think Hayes would work well with Grabber and Vesey. Their styles may work best together. Hayes ability to hold on to the puck, IMO clashes with what I think Nash's skill set should be used as (taking the puck to the net consistently). That line brings a little bit of everything, and has less pressure on it. Really not into giving Hayes a bigger role. Ad nauseum. Sorry I keep saying that.

Desharnias on the 4th line? Not sure if that fits. Not really the player for the job. I think Nieves could be molded into what AV would want from that spot. Obviously Anderson too. But with Desharnias signed, I'd imagine he's on the roster. Maybe in a Pirri like role as the extra forward who could maybe play the wing and get some PP time. Unless I'm all wrong and he kills penalties.

//reported Junior Division

The Hungry and the Hopeful — A Look at Forwards in Training Camp

I can't wait to come back to this thread to tell you how to use "ad nauseum," but for now, I'll post hockey stuff.

Miller centering the second line when he hasn't centered in a while is a huge risk, no?

I recall Miller playing center a little bit last season and I remember reading that his positioning was not good and that there were other facets of his game that were suffering as well. I could be wrong though.

With that being said, slotting him in as the 2nd line center is prob not what's going to happen.

I really just made this post as a placeholder though. And I'm not looking forward to seeing it with sober eyes but please hone in your usage of, "ad nauseum." You can do better.
    Last edited by booze and wingz; 09-16-2017 at 06:41 AM.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Hope and would like to see a few of these young'uns — Gropp, Anderssen, others at the Garden on Wednesday versus the Debbils, if stars and moon align and all goes according to plan.

But let's see what AV puts out there. Not holding my breath.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    I can't wait to come back to this thread to tell you how to use "ad nauseum," but for now, I'll post hockey stuff.

Miller centering the second line when he hasn't centered in a while is a huge risk, no?

I recall Miller playing center a little bit last season and I remember reading that his positioning was not good and that there were other facets of his game that were suffering as well. I could be wrong though.

With that being said, slotting him in as the 2nd line center is prob not what's going to happen.

I really just made this post as a placeholder though. And I'm not looking forward to seeing it with sober eyes but please hone in your usage of, "ad nauseum." You can do better.

???

I'm pretty sure I used the term correctly. Please do tell me how to use the phrase...

????

???

I'm pretty sure I used the term correctly. Please do tell me how to use the phrase...

????

For starters, you used it as a full sentence, whereas the phrase itself is an adverb. Adverbs give you information about the rest of the sentence and can't really be used as full sentences. I'm there are some examples, but for the sake of my now-sober thoughts, let's assume there aren't.*

To use ad nauseam in a sentence, you'd say something like, "I've been saying Hayes shouldn't be in a bigger role ad nauseam." This defines to the reader/listener that you've conveyed that thought many times before.

I knew what you meant, but only after reading, "sorry I keep saying that," and it's written word on a forum, so I'm sure you can use the phrase correctly, but it seemed very out of place as a fragment, and I was mixing wine and Jameson. So all I need to do is make some wingz and I'll live up to my name.

For starters, you used it as a full sentence, whereas the phrase itself is an adverb. Adverbs give you information about the rest of the sentence and can't really be used as full sentences. I'm there are some examples, but for the sake of my now-sober thoughts, let's assume there aren't.*

To use ad nauseam in a sentence, you'd say something like, "I've been saying Hayes shouldn't be in a bigger role ad nauseam." This defines to the reader/listener that you've conveyed that thought many times before.

I knew what you meant, but only after reading, "sorry I keep saying that," and it's written word on a forum, so I'm sure you can use the phrase correctly, but it seemed very out of place as a fragment, and I was mixing wine and Jameson. So all I need to do is make some wingz and I'll live up to my name.
    Hahaha. Ok, I thought you were saying I didn't know what it meant. I was like "this mother f#*ker.." I get what you're saying. Grammatically, it is wrong. My bust.

lol. all good dude.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    @SteveZipay:NYR have trimmed roster by five: Kovacs, Chapie to Hartford; Gettinger, Ronning back to juniors. Kotyk released from PTO

Hoping to see big numbers from Gettinger and Ronning in junior. Hopefully Gettinger can crack the World Junior roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    @SteveZipay:NYR have trimmed roster by five: Kovacs, Chapie to Hartford; Gettinger, Ronning back to juniors. Kotyk released from PTO

Hoping to see big numbers from Gettinger and Ronning in junior. Hopefully Gettinger can crack the World Junior roster.
    That was quick. They didn't even get into a pre-season game. I wanted to see what these guys had, compared to Andersson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast