Thread: Weighing an Andreas Athanasiou Offer Sheet

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Weighing an Andreas Athanasiou Offer Sheet

For the Rangers, a club with strong scoring depth, the short-term projections make it difficult to justify the cost to acquire him. While Athanasiou’s inconsistent play makes it difficult to project a contract, Jeff Gorton would probably have to pay ~$2 million per year and send a second- or third-round draft pick to the Wings. With a clear top-nine vacancy, this would make a lot of sense. But, as constructed, there is no current hole to fill on the wing.

Assuming everyone is healthy, New York’s top-nine wingers project to be Rick Nash, Mats Zuccarello, Chris Kreider, Pavel Buchnevich, J.T. Miller, and Jimmy Vesey with Michael Grabner and Jesper Fast anchoring a high-upside fourth line, regardless of who plays center. So, quite simply, where does Athanasiou fit? Or better yet, who does he replace? That’s the rub in signing a guy who needs a top-nine role to succeed.

This isn’t a squad that lacked offensive punch last year. The Rangers ranked fourth in goal scoring, and with players like Vesey and Buchnevich figuring to see a jump in production, the Rangers aren’t likely to see their production drop much. As such, it’s difficult to justify bumping any of the aforementioned wingers out of the lineup for a player who projects to provide more offense, especially given his inconsistencies elsewhere on the ice.

Last season, Athanasiou was deployed purely as an offensive player; he’s similar to Buchnevich in that his skillset is wasted a bit if he’s deployed in a checking role. To his credit, he capitalized on his opportunities and turned a 62.1% Offensive Zone Start percentage (oZS) into 25 even-strength points while averaging just 13:28 per game. Because of that, bringing him down from the press box when a top-nine winger gets injured means the offense shouldn’t slow down. But even with the favorable deployment rate last season, he had poor possession numbers (48.1% Corsi For and 48.4% Fenwick For) which likely eliminates him from a consistent fourth-line role.

Click here to view the article.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Let's say it does cost a second round pick as compensation for an offer sheet. I'd prefer just approaching Detroit with a straight up trade for his rights after being allowed to discuss the contract desires with his camp. That escapes the politics of trying to snatch a player.

Is it worth it? In a vacuum, sure. A second round pick for a young high offensive upside player who fits your system is a reasonable price to pay. The fact that the Rangers have too often used those picks for rentals and other trades, while being in the middle of their retool on the fly tilts the ledger away from such a deal. Their forward scoring depth outside of the center position further complicates the issue. Sure, they are likely to create some holes next season with departures, but they also have some wingers ready to move up from Hartford or overseas. Paying a decent price for another log on the jam probably isn't a good idea.

All of that changes, as Mike mentioned, if the Rangers have a separate deal in place to add a center. Zib and Hayes are likely here long term and the Rangers now have two center prospects in the pipe who will make some noise in the coming years. What they could really use is a 2-3 year stop gap second line center that's good on draws. That's the wish list. So if aquiring Athanasiou lets them move a winger (plus) to pick up that player, I say go for it. If not, if we're going with these centers moving forward, I'd pass.

Moderator Junior Division
    I didn't mention it before, but AA played some center with Detroit. Blashill tried him there.

Would be much more appealing if he could fill the 3c role or maybe even platoon it with Miller. Maybe a stretch, but might make him a more appealing option.

//reported Junior Division
    I've been keeping my eyes and ears loosely on the AA situation regarding his potential move to the KHL. Similar to RNH and EDM, I don't see DET moving him now, unless it's an overpayment. (No, I didn't read the article, but I've been reading more lately, I swear).

I'd like to try and pry away Larkin from DET, but that's not really the right move for either team either, I don't think.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    I've been keeping my eyes and ears loosely on the AA situation regarding his potential move to the KHL. Similar to RNH and EDM, I don't see DET moving him now, unless it's an overpayment. (No, I didn't read the article, but I've been reading more lately, I swear).

I'd like to try and pry away Larkin from DET, but that's not really the right move for either team either, I don't think.
    I think Larkin is pretty much untouchable, at least for now, since his cap hit is less than $1m. The reason DET would move him is because they can't sign him - he's not under contract. I wouldn't call it smart for them to take a pick if someone offer sheeted him, considering the silly moves theyve made to get to this point, but they kind of have to.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    He's not the type of player you offer sheet.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He's not the type of player you offer sheet.
    Why not? I'd argue he's exactly the type of player you offer sheet because the compensation is reasonable. It's the David Pastrnak's of the world you stay the hell away from. I'm hard-pressed to think of many players worth four first-round picks, or two firsts, a second and third-round picks.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Honestly, hes not the type of player I give up anything for. He's a bottom 6 player that cant play a bottom 6 role, he's inconsistent, he's not an offensive thrat even though he played in an offensive role for the majority of the season, he has no bonafide position, dealing with an O6 and regardless of what you think, offer sheets can cause some retaliation among other GMs.

I'm not giving up a pick for a Freddy Sjostrom that cant play defense.

The only intriguing part about him is expecting Grabner to turn him into a better Grabner... and thats more unlikely than a 2nd round pick winning multiple Ross trophys.

This team has too many "unidentifiable" players. We need role players, or legit skilled/scoring forwards. No more tweeners, iffers, buffers or fluffers.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Weighing an Andreas Athanasiou Offer Sheet

When did Freddy Sjostrom ever put up 18 goals, or anything close to it? He's closer to Grabner than he is Sjostrom.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    The same time AA was worth a 2nd round pick