Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zaripov

Junior Member Mite Division Slats6NYR's Avatar

Zaripov

He's the next contestant on "The Price Is Right". 36 year old wing who can play center. Only looking for a 1 year contract from what's online.
    Rangers have a real problem if this is the best they can do to fill this hole. Surprised they haven't considered move Kreids back to center. Was a natural center up until his 2 year at BC, and moved to the wing there right after Richards signed. Not saying he's the solution, but would rather start within there then Hayes.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Miller to center.
    And that's not a huge issue. He played C for USDT, player a checking/shutdown guy but also put up good points with vesey and Johnny G (Zuccarello style). Would love to see that line.

Then, Hayes with buch and Zaripov on the wings. Gives a vet that can play a solid game in all zones and can put up points. He's a skill guy, and should help those around him. Based on the little I know about him, if he can adjust, he's a better middle 6er than Fast or Grabs.

Low risk move.
    Could be the best option, considering we don't have assets to trade for RNH, Duchene, etc

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Any concern about bringing over a Russian doper with a young Buchnevich on the team?

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Any concern about bringing over a Russian doper with a young Buchnevich on the team?
    It's not banned in the NHL
    And he agreed to additional testing, I believe to enter the NHL and more extensive and random tests (according to people on twitter)

I haven't read of any other issues or him being a problem in the lockerroom. Anyone that can make Buch more comfortable is a good thing.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    He's also played with Bereglazov the last several seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    It's not banned in the NHL
    And he agreed to additional testing, I believe to enter the NHL and more extensive and random tests (according to people on twitter)

I haven't read of any other issues or him being a problem in the lockerroom. Anyone that can make Buch more comfortable is a good thing.
    Not concerned with the "doping" with this guy. IIHF has always gone harder on that then the NHL...it does bother me that the test showed masking agents.
    Here's the other thing....until the other day when I first read about this, I've never heard of this guy. He's hasn't been on anyone's radar screen until now.

//reported Junior Division
    He's also played with Bereglazov the last several seasons.
    No idea who Zaripov is, but this is kinda cool. And if Zaripov also serves as a mentor for Buch, all the better.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar

Zaripov

Zaitsev (24) took $925k originally, Dadonov (28) $4M, and Shipachyov (30) $4.5M. I think he probably gets somewhere in the middle purely due to his age (36). 15 goals in 18 playoff games last year is impressive. Would need to find a taker for Holden sooner rather than later to help facilitate this.

I'm not against the idea, I think it helps Buchnevich and Bereglazov, but haven't seem him play so cannot really comment whether he actually makes us better. I would prefer Miller at center and convert him to a shutdown type guy with the ability to score. Wasn't that impressed with his previous efforts at center but he is a much different player now than back then, and far more defensively responsible. Perhaps Zaripov at wing? Might help the PP?

One thing I will say, IF we are considering Zaripov why aren't we talking to Jagr? Then I can get some use out of my old jersey!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Last edited by pws85nyr; 08-29-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I think I would rather sign #68 instead.

Moderator Junior Division
    I'm having a hard time seeing any value in a 36-year-old declining player who has never played professional hockey in North America, when you have a couple of 40-50 point guys (Vanek, Jagr) sitting around unsigned. I mean, there are a bunch of KHLers who would be a better fit, like Stephane De Costa.

The only thing that makes sense, to me, is that they want another Russian to help out the young guys.

Quote Originally Posted by pws85nyr View Post
    Zaitsev (24) took $925k originally, Dadonov (28) $4M, and Shipachyov (30) $4.5M. I think he probably gets somewhere in the middle purely due to his age (36). 15 goals in 18 playoff games last year is impressive. Would need to find a taker for Holden sooner rather than later to help facilitate this.

I'm not against the idea, I think it helps Buchnevich and Bereglazov, but haven't seem him play so cannot really comment whether he actually makes us better. I would prefer Miller at center and convert him to a shutdown type guy with the ability to score. Wasn't that impressed with his previous efforts at center but he is a much different player now than back then, and far more defensively responsible. Perhaps Zaripov at wing? Might help the PP?

One thing I will say, IF we are considering Zaripov why are we talking to Jagr? Then I can get some use out of my old jersey!

Don't take this the wrong way, but can't see how signing a 36 year old Russian who's never played in the NHL, helps 2 younger Russian born players adapt playing in North America. Zaripov only played one season with the Swift Current Broncos almost 20 years ago.
    Let our young Russian players learn some English, get to know our other younger players, have the Russians teach them Russian curse words, and they'll all be sitting on someone's couch playing XBox in no time.
    If they can't sign Zaripov for less then 1.5M, then move on to Hayes, Miller, Nieves, Andersson or whoever.
    To me, with Nash's and other contract expiring at the end of the season, the brass is hoping that JT doesn't sign in Brooklyn, and making him an offer to play in MSG. Thinking he would enjoy playing for a real New York franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Slats6NYR View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but can't see how signing a 36 year old Russian who's never played in the NHL, helps 2 younger Russian born players adapt playing in North America. Zaripov only played one season with the Swift Current Broncos almost 20 years ago.
    Let our young Russian players learn some English, get to know our other younger players, have the Russians teach them Russian curse words, and they'll all be sitting on someone's couch playing XBox in no time.
    If they can't sign Zaripov for less then 1.5M, then move on to Hayes, Miller, Nieves, Andersson or whoever.
    To me, with Nash's and other contract expiring at the end of the season, the brass is hoping that JT doesn't sign in Brooklyn, and making him an offer to play in MSG. Thinking he would enjoy playing for a real New York franchise.

I was thinking more in terms of language and helping the transition. I's easier to not feel homesick if you have some 'friends' around. However you do make plenty of valid points in terms of jumping in the deep and and just learning the language, but some players are better than others at doing this.

I was thinking more in terms of language and helping the transition. I's easier to not feel homesick if you have some 'friends' around. However you do make plenty of valid points in terms of jumping in the deep and and just learning the language, but some players are better than others at doing this.
    You are right about having players from a similar background bonding. It would be different if Zaripov had played in North America. Having spent his career in Russia, he's going to have the same problems coming to the NHL.
    Kovy, Zubov & Nemchinov had the same problems too, but all got through it. There are the people of Little Odessa they kids can meet & find some of their own culture in NYC.
    Would rather they work on bonding with their teammates, since those are the people they will spend the most time with, hopefully for some years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Slats6NYR View Post
    You are right about having players from a similar background bonding. It would be different if Zaripov had played in North America. Having spent his career in Russia, he's going to have the same problems coming to the NHL.
    Kovy, Zubov & Nemchinov had the same problems too, but all got through it. There are the people of Little Odessa they kids can meet & find some of their own culture in NYC.
    Would rather they work on bonding with their teammates, since those are the people they will spend the most time with, hopefully for some years to come.

All valid points. Most major cities are now so ethnically diverse. I agree the lack of experience in North American rinks isn't ideal.

Moderator Junior Division
    Most major cities are now so ethnically diverse.
    I don't think this really matters, tbh. These guys aren't away from the rink/team - especially during season with travel - to build anything meaningful with communities outside of the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I don't think this really matters, tbh. These guys aren't away from the rink/team - especially during season with travel - to build anything meaningful with communities outside of the organization.
    It was merely an observation.

The more I think about, the more I believe that the Rangers should offer Zaripov a PTO. See what he can or can't do at this level before offering a contract. No sense in blowing cap space if he's not worth it.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Completely and 100% disagree.

NYC is a hub. Everything is there. They can have a ton of experiences and get out and do things, including being involved with Russian communities. Ignorantly, I will say those are not available in Phoenix or North Carolina. I think you're underestimating this like buying groceries or going out to eat. Not only does a local foreign grocery store make you feel more comfortable, but so does doing it with a friend with whom you can communicate.
    You NEED time away from the team and rink or you're going to wear out mentally, very quickly.

Zaripov

NYC is a hub. Everything is there. They can have a ton of experiences and get out and do things, including being involved with Russian communities. Ignorantly, I will say those are not available in Phoenix or North Carolina. I think you're underestimating this like buying groceries or going out to eat. Not only does a local foreign grocery store make you feel more comfortable, but so does doing it with a friend with whom you can communicate.
    You NEED time away from the team and rink or you're going to wear out mentally, very quickly.
    This. Completely agree.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie

This is spot on.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast