Thread: 10 Most Painful Goals Against the New York Rangers in the Salary Cap Era

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

10 Most Painful Goals Against the New York Rangers in the Salary Cap Era

This one is going to sting, fellow Rangers’ fans. So if you are enjoying one of the last few nice summer days, no one is going to fault you for turning off your phone or closing the browser tab right now. But it is summer, there’s not much going on in the hockey world, much less for the Rangers and I am tasked with racking up some page views here at Cleared for Contact. What better way, then, for an increasingly dark trip down the rabbit hole of some of the most painful seconds in Rangers’ history since the 2004/2005 season was lost to a lockout and the new modern era of NHL hockey began?

That is enough lead up, I think. You get the picture and you’ve been warned. Let’s get right to it then. To start us off on our count down, we have...

#10 Massacre de Montréal
    February 20, 2008 - Regular Season

The Rangers’ were having an easy night in a hostile environment. Chris Drury (remember that name) scored about 5:00 into the second period to give the Rangers a 5-0 lead. A few minutes later, Michael Ryder would pot a seemingly meaningless goal to get the Canadiens on the board. It would not be the last. The Rangers were powerless to stop a surge that seemed destined, with each goal, to climb Montreal out of the ditch on the way to an improbable victory. This list is about pain. How about a goal by former Ranger Alex Kovalev tying the game with under 5:00 to go in the third period?

#9 Brown Downs Rangers with Just the Tip

June 7, 2014 - Stanley Cup Final - Game 2

This might be the biggest goal in recent Rangers’ history that you don’t even remember. A lot of that has to do with a goal later in this list, but at the time, this one really shook Rangers’ fans. After squandering 2-0, 3-1 and 4-2 leads in the game, two goals against in the third period tied this one up for the Kings. Had the Rangers held on at any point, they would have brought the series back to Madison Square Garden all tied up. They managed to hold on through the first overtime, but halfway through the second, Dustin Brown tipped the winner past Henrik Lundqvist, giving the Kings a 2-0 lead in the series.

Click here to view the article.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Reported.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Reported.
    Right?

Don't ban me.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    It's pretty painful, but I don't really disagree with much here, except the Martinez goal being over Henrique. But I also know I'm in a minority there. The way I see it, losing to the fucking Devils, especially that Devils team, is so much more painful than losing a series to a Kings team in which they played for their first Cup in 20 years that I don't agree they were that well matched against (again, I'm in a minority here).

Fuck Adam Henrique forever and ever amen.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Reported.
    This is fair.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It's pretty painful, but I don't really disagree with much here, except the Martinez goal being over Henrique. But I also know I'm in a minority there. The way I see it, losing to the fucking Devils, especially that Devils team, is so much more painful than losing a series to a Kings team in which they played for their first Cup in 20 years that I don't agree they were that well matched against (again, I'm in a minority here).

Fuck Adam Henrique forever and ever amen.
    While I share your hatred for Henrique, I don't agree with that being more painful. Making it to the cup only to lose a series they could have won stings more than anything to me. Regardless of how good the Kings were the Rangers had control in multiple games. I don't want to go as far as saying it was in the bag, but damn.. they were so close.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    While I share your hatred for Henrique, I don't agree with that being more painful. Making it to the cup only to lose a series they could have won stings more than anything to me. Regardless of how good the Kings were the Rangers had control in multiple games. I don't want to go as far as saying it was in the bag, but damn.. they were so close.
    This was the deciding factor for me. That series was winnable, the cup was winnable. It could have just as easily been the Rangers up 3-1 heading to OT and Stralman burying the winner behind Quick.

That's not to take anything away from LA, they played really strong and earned their bounces. Just a series of very close games where three of the five games were decided in OT and they all went the Kings' way.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    This was the deciding factor for me. That series was winnable, the cup was winnable. It could have just as easily been the Rangers up 3-1 heading to OT and Stralman burying the winner behind Quick.

That's not to take anything away from LA, they played really strong and earned their bounces. Just a series of very close games where three of the five games were decided in OT and they all went the Kings' way.
    Yeah, considering the Rangers didn't trail for 1 second in the first 2 games, on the road, I'd say it was winnable too.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Junior Division
    alright I'm down for some masochism today. Let's watch them all

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    I could name 20
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

//reported Junior Division
    I'm not watching this shit. I started to and then fuck you.
    Fuck Henrique.
    Fuck Alec Martinez.
    Fuck JG Pageu.
    Fuck the Lightning and the Kings.
    Fuck this shit, I'm starting drinking.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    I'm not watching this shit. I started to and then fuck you.
    Fuck Henrique.
    Fuck Alec Martinez.
    Fuck JG Pageu.
    Fuck the Lightning and the Kings.
    Fuck this shit, I'm starting drinking.
    That looks like my first draft on the titles for each section.

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    That looks like my first draft on the titles for each section.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    You have the wrong video for #8. Now go haze yourself.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    The Montreal Massacre was worse listening to it in the car coming back from acupuncture in Rego Park.
    I never saw the TV footage, as I was so pissed.

What struck me was that was almost an all-star team we had there, can't believe we had Avery Jagr, Drury, Straka, Tyutin, Gomez, Dubinsky, Callahan, all at the same time — that was a team that shoulda made it to the finals.

But the Martinez goal slays me. That was winnable despite the odds, and another case of squandered leads in the series did us in, again.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.