• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Duchene Trade Talks Could Heat Up Soon

Phil

September is creeping closer on the calendar, and the Matt Duchene trade scene may be poised to heat up.

?I think so,? said NHL Insider Darren Dreger during a Friday morning appearance on Buffalo?s WGR 550. ?We?ve talked about this ? generally in the media ? for the past several months, better than a year. But now it?s reached that point where it definitely feels like the Avalanche are in a position to get something done. Joe Sakic recently saying that he?s listening to offers. Now, I think that?s different than where he was at, say, going into the draft because the demand for Matt Duchene ? to many NHL general managers with interest ? were just unreasonable.

?The Nashville Predators definitely had interest and I?m sure do have interest in Matt Duchene, but going into the draft and on the draft floor, they just weren?t willing to give up the defenseman that Joe Sakic felt like he needed to get in return for Matt Duchene as part of a package.

?Now, general managers don?t take holidays at any point in the season. They try and take some down time in August, so the sense is ? from at least from Matt Duchene?s side ? that things could heat up in the next week. That doesn?t mean a trade is imminent. But that means that NHL general managers will be back at work full time and perhaps looking at their roster and recognizing that, ?Okay, Duchene is still available, so let?s make our next push.? ?

?Nashville is a really interesting one,? said Friedman then. ?I think they?ve asked Nashville for Ekholm. And Nashville doesn?t want to do that. If Colorado was going to make that trade, that?s a heck of a return. After watching Ekholm in the playoffs, holy cow is that guy a great player. Nashville doesn?t want to do that and not only that, but he?s signed to a great contract. So I think they?re just going to hold out here.?

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/dreger-sense-duchene-trade-talks-heat-soon/

Gorton: Hey Joe, what's it gonna take to get Duchene?

Sakic: Well we were thinking Skjei and...

(Line goes dead)

Sakic: Jeff, you still there buddy? Jeff...Jeff...

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

:lol:

Was thinking the same thing. If they want a defensemen, I don't see the Rangers offering a top 4 D man. Especially since it's been a weakness. Would open another hole to plug.

Skjei had 2 fewer points than Duchene last year. Sakic can't realistically expect him for Duchene. I'd even say that Miller and Hayes are a stretch.

Duchene is a great talent, but he's only really had top-end 1C production in 3 of his 8 years and is really a 20-25 goal guy. He's got about the same value as Stepan, I can't believe Sakic thinks Duchene is going to bring some massive return unless he's delusional.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were all in on one of Duchene or RNH.

If EDM were smart, they'd hold on to RNH until next offseason before McDavid's contract kicks in, but wtf do I know?

Sakic's asking price was super high and it doesn't seem like he has a problem holding on to Duchene until the right deal comes around. Delusional or not, he doesn't need to move Duchene.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were all in on one of Duchene or RNH.

If EDM were smart, they'd hold on to RNH until next offseason before McDavid's contract kicks in, but wtf do I know?

Sakic's asking price was super high and it doesn't seem like he has a problem holding on to Duchene until the right deal comes around. Delusional or not, he doesn't need to move Duchene.

Yea I think EDM would be dumb to trade RNH now. They're probably a cup contender this year, move him at the deadline if you're not.

I think there is pressure to move Duchene, even if it's not a necessity. They need to change the culture of that team, and he's really the most logical guy you can move to do it. Plus, his value is only going to continue to sink. He's not going to rebuild them on his own, but, kind of like Taylor Hall in EDM, he can bring back value that expedites the process.

You know...I eluded to Sakic's asking price, but I don't even remember what it was at the draft.

At which point Joe Sakic thanks Gorton for the laugh and hangs up. Not even close given their asking price at the draft.

Whatever the cost ends up being for Duchene, we can't afford it without decimating the roster Rick Nash style.

Fine, take Nash. See if they take Holden back as well.

But not really sure that gets us Duchene.

Re asking price, from January...

TSN's Darren Dreger reports Sakic's asking price for Landeskog is higher than originally thought. He said the Avs seek a “top-level defenseman, a first-round draft pick plus.” He adds that's generated a negative reaction from his peers.

Every GM sets an initially high price when shopping a core player, but Sakic's dreaming if he thinks he'll net that type of return for Landeskog. While he has four 50-plus points seasons on his resume, including a career-high 65-points in 2013-14, his production doesn't merit such a lofty return. His sub-par production this season (13 points in 30 games) won't bolster his trade value.

There's been no word on Sakic's asking price for Duchene, but one can assume it's similar to Landeskog's. The 25-year-old center has better stats this season (24 points in 36 games) than the Avs captain and exceeded 50 points five times in his career.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/rumors/article/rumor-roundup-is-sakic-asking-too-much-for-duchene-and-landeskog

Has to have come down by then, because that was an LOL high ask for either of those guys. I mean, essentially, they're asking for Skjei and a first...which is ridiculous.

You know...I eluded to Sakic's asking price, but I don't even remember what it was at the draft.

Fine, take Nash. See if they take Holden back as well.

But not really sure that gets us Duchene.

"Rick Nash style" trade

But even then, that was a steal of a trade. Dubinsky was a $4m 4th liner, Anisimov was an underperforming center, and we had Stepan and Richards. Erixon busted and a pick.

Duchene isn't Nash. He might get Anisimov, Erixon + 1st.

And, per the course, no GM gives a fuck about Sakic or his asking price. Dude fucking blows at his job. His best move was signing Holden. Look at his list of trades and signings. Pathetic. He's run that organization into the ground. No GM is going to meet his asking price, and he'll settle for an awful return, again.

• 2 weeks later...
Training camps don?t open for another nine days, but Matt Duchene?s conspicuous absence from a voluntary skate in Denver on Tuesday raised suspicion he may not be with the Avalanche when camp begins.

Duchene was the only Colorado forward other than Nathan MacKinnon - who is attending the NHL-NHLPA?s media tour in New York ? to not participate on Tuesday.

Duchene, 26, was not dealt this summer despite GM Joe Sakic making no secret of the fact he?s been ?listening to offers? for Duchene for months.

When asked Tuesday night by TSN whether Duchene planned to report to Avalanche training camp, Duchene?s agent - Pat Brisson of CAA Sports - responded: ?All I want to say is, for the moment Matt is skating in Toronto.?

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-trade-bait-will-duchene-report-to-camp-1.848636

• 3 weeks later...

There are always a few GM's in every sport who overvalue players due to past performance, are greedy and/or reactive. All three are problems regarding a Duchesne deal. IMO, Underlying everything is Sakic thinking all it takes is one other GM to overpay and he'll end up with Seth Jones or a Martin St Louis return. Sakic has overplayed his hand (like Sather did with Talbot, among other trades) and now his back is to the wall with everyone knowing he has to make a deal. He should have been proactive and not tried to rip everyone off. McKenzie said 8 teams made significant offers and said they were met with exorbitant counter offers.

Now he is probably waiting for a team to lose a C to injury, hoping to get bailed out by someone else's desperation. He needed to be more open to negotiations during the draft when more teams could have made a deal. Now everyone is locking down their roster and unless Duchesne starts tearing-it-up, his value will get lower.

• 3 weeks later...
?I get the sense that what is going on here is that I think they?re going to hold him for a bit ? I mean, famous last words, I?ll hang up and he gets traded ? but I think they?re going to hold him for a bit. But what I think they?re going to do is they?re going to do some pretty heavy scouting of team prospects. I think it?s possible now that teams may not want to give some stuff up off their roster, so I think what they could be doing is looking at some guys who may be in juniors or the NCAA or the minors. Guys who are legit prospects, but simply aren?t ready yet or aren?t at the NHL level yet. And that takes time. I did get some indication this week that that could be happening.?

?As for Duchene, that?s a lot of water to go under the bridge. I mean, there were a lot of hurt feelings and angry feelings on both sides. I would say it?s unlikely that that goes to a point where he doesn?t want to be traded anymore, but stranger things have happened. So I would say unlikely, but I wouldn?t say 100 percent no.?

https://www.fanragsports.com/friedman-avalanche-to-heavily-scout-prospects-for-duchene-trade/

Archived