• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Oilers gearing up to "sell well below market value" on Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Phil

This in from hockey commentator Justin Cuthbert of Yahoo Canada Sport, his critique of the Stanley Cup prospects of the Edmonton Oilers and their coming cap issues: ?Leon Draisaitl?s contract reveals two certainties for the Edmonton Oilers: 1) This upcoming season might be their best chance to win the Stanley Cup; it?s the last before McDavid?s contract moves from six figures to eight, and it will feature the greatest overlap in terms of young talent reaching their prime and veterans clinging to theirs. And 2) because Lucic?s contract is essentially bullet proof, Draisaitl could force Nugent-Hopkins even beyond the third line role he seems slotted for, and off the roster completely. This would continue the dangerous cycle in Edmonton of paying the premium while selling well below market value.?

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-are-gearing-up-to-sell-low-on-ryan-nugent-hopkins

There's an interesting full breakdown from Staples at the link.

What you do here is sell Nash for futures and then flip those futures to EDM for RNH. It's a win win win for three teams involved. We need a center, EDM is going to need cheap and young talent to supplement their two centers, and whomever accepts Nash presumably needs a winger. I think you can get enough picks for Nash to flip for RNH, but that's the uncertain part imo.

What you do here is sell Nash for futures and then flip those futures to EDM for RNH. It's a win win win for three teams involved. We need a center, EDM is going to need cheap and young talent to supplement their two centers, and whomever accepts Nash presumably needs a winger. I think you can get enough picks for Nash to flip for RNH, but that's the uncertain part imo.

If they make a move for RNH, it'd be to win, and they'd need Nash for that. We need to add to the depth, not deplete it more.

If they make a move for RNH, it'd be to win, and they'd need Nash for that. We need to add to the depth, not deplete it more.

It'd be a lateral move. Taking from our strength at wing to improve our weakness at center. 1 for 1 not depleting our overall depth, but making us overall more balanced. We'd need to moved Nash's $$$ to fit RNH anyway...

It'd be a lateral move. Taking from our strength at wing to improve our weakness at center. 1 for 1 not depleting our overall depth, but making us overall more balanced. We'd need to moved Nash's $$$ to fit RNH anyway...

We don't need lateral moves (even though it's depleting our wings). We need to improve. Plus, moving Nash's contract for RNH's only complicates things next offseason.

Flipping Nash for RNH is a massive loss for the Rangers.

What do people really think the market for RNH is?

He's a guy who doesn't perform up to his contract and isn't even a lock for 20 goals. Considering the amount of money against the cap it would save EDM, something like Holden and a third should do it. The guy has incredibly low value. Eberle went for freaking Ryan Strome.

What do people really think the market for RNH is?

He's a guy who doesn't perform up to his contract and isn't even a lock for 20 goals. Considering the amount of money against the cap it would save EDM, something like Holden and a third should do it. The guy has incredibly low value. Eberle went for freaking Ryan Strome.

other than this past season, hes put up better offensive numbers than Zibby, is 100x better at defense than him, faster, better hands, plays in all situations

hes young, fast, still has untapped offensive potential, been around long enough to understand the game, and hes a very good 2-way player.

Give up Hayes?

We're practically in the same spot as we are now, with a higher cap hit.

I'm with Josh on this one. Some other piece than Hayes.

And I don't see RNH's face off % getting better.

As underwhelming as his playoffs were, I'd still like to see more of Hayes. I may be wrong, but I still think we can develop a better playoff performer than what we've seen.

Hayes is arguably better than RNH. I think RNH lacks heart. He would instantly be the player that would earn the most derision from the fans if we dealt for him.

Well, I think that would depend on what we trade for him. Like myself, I think most fans want to keep Kreider, Hayes, Miller and Buch to see what they could be. zibby, Zuccy, skjei, McD, HL aren't leaving. Shattenkirk, Smith, DeAngelo and Fast just signed. Nash already said no go to Canada.

We give up Holden, prospect & pick and maybe they retain a bit...

Once people realize he's a solid contributor and good two way guy, and not a dangerous offensive #1 pick, then they'd appreciate him.

I honestly think he'd have a good skill set to gel with some of oor guys, and Z-RNH-Hayes is something I like. It's a good option... if the price is right

I've been thinking about RNH for a few weeks and ended up watching some highlights on YT for him. I could see the Rangers taking a gamble on this guy. This organization doesn't shy away from reclamation projects and RNH might be another project for us. With that being said, I really don't know too much about the guy. Is he a good skater?

I could see Zib on the top line and then Hayes and RNH bouncing between lines 2 and 3. This relegates DD/Andersson/Nieves to the fourth line to battle it out for minutes, which is a better center-core than Zib/Hayes/DD/Andersson/Nieves.

I've been thinking about RNH for a few weeks and ended up watching some highlights on YT for him. I could see the Rangers taking a gamble on this guy. This organization doesn't shy away from reclamation projects and RNH might be another project for us. With that being said, I really don't know too much about the guy. Is he a good skater?

I could see Zib on the top line and then Hayes and RNH bouncing between lines 2 and 3. This relegates DD/Andersson/Nieves to the fourth line to battle it out for minutes, which is a better center-core than Zib/Hayes/DD/Andersson/Nieves.

RNH, as a player, is almost a no-brainer for this exact reason.

The cost makes it tricky, but he'd be a great fit in this lineup. High upside with potential to play on a top line but the talent to exploit other teams' depth issues if he's on the third line.

other than this past season, hes put up better offensive numbers than Zibby, is 100x better at defense than him, faster, better hands, plays in all situations

Uh, besides the fact that this is a gross exaggeration, it doesn't actually answer the question of what the market would be.

Age 21: RNH - 56 points, 76 games, 20:38, -12. ZIB - 46 points, 80 games, 16:26, 0.

Age 22: RNH - 34 points, 54 games, 19:04, -9. ZIB - 51 points, 81 games, 17:46, -2

Age 23: RNH - 43 points, 82 games, 17:42, -10. ZIB - 37 points, 56 games, 17:04, +9

RNH's offensive numbers are barely better, considering how much more TOI he's gotten, and he's a consistently negative player, so I'm not sure how he's 100x better at defense lol. Not to mention the fact that RNH is horrible at faceoffs.

I think RNH is a better player than Hayes. Gotta give up some contract to take on RNH's contract. RNH is a competent 2nd line center with potential to be similar to Stepan or better. I don't want Hayes on that 2nd line. I'd rather see Miller or Desharnias take that role over Hayes.

I think RNH is a better player than Hayes. Gotta give up some contract to take on RNH's contract. RNH is a competent 2nd line center with potential to be similar to Stepan or better. I don't want Hayes on that 2nd line. I'd rather see Miller or Desharnias take that role over Hayes.

Even if that's true, he makes twice what Hayes does. On that alone, I have no interest. Not without Edmonton eating at least $2M per.

Archived