Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Tavares to the Rangers a Possibility?

Senior Member Midget Division
    thanks for moving this thread. good to see the participation and well developed thoughts.

probably a long shot he hits FA but given the Isles crappy stadium situation and continued mis management, if i were him why would i want to stay there.

Broadway has to be in the convo as the dolans have never seen a superstar they didnt try to obtain and like someone else said, he wouldn't even have to move.

Recent championship teams have shown that top end front line talent wins. I thought we were getting that in Nash and while he's a nice player he can't be spoken about in the same sentence as Crosby, Toews and Ovi.

We have a nice competitive team but we don't have that guy. The Goalie doesn't count in my mind. Hanks a great goalie but he's no Roy, who took an above average team to the champs with lights out play.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    The Rangers have had top end talent, just in the wrong position.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Just because I thought it'd be interesting, went back and looked at where he ranks in points and PPG every year since his first, cumulatively.

09-10: 9th, 537 - 14th, .91
    10-11: 5th, 483 - 9th, .96
    11-12: 6th, 416 - 8th, .98
    12-13: 8th, 335 - 8th, .97
    13-14: 10th, 288 - 8th, .97
    14-15: 6th, 222 - 8th, .94
    15-16: 18th, 136 - 25th, .88
    16-17: 27th, 66 - 26th, .86

Two most recent years have some anomalies for the PPG because I forgot to filter for games played and was too lazy to go back and fix it.
    Which is what P/GP does, no?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yes, but you still need to filter out the guys that played one game and had a point or two...

15-16 ppg was 21 and 16-17 was 24.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yea but I didn't originally account for guys who played 1 game and had 1 point.

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Oh, I know. It's what I said the Rangers could do...others said it wouldn't work because we wouldn't have the depth. It's not me who needs to be convinced that being top-heavy works. It's why, when Drew mentioned what the team would look like, I pointed to the Pens.

For 5-6 years the Rangers' biggest problem has been a lack of top-end talent. There's value in rolling 3 threatening lines, but those teams don't strike fear into anybody, and asking second liners to be your top players has been NY's main problem in the playoffs.
    Ok I'm coming around to the idea. I completely get the Pens and Hawks comparison, totally, but he isn't Crosby, Malkin, or Kane etc. We also don't have the farm system or prospects to pad out the bottom 6 sufficiently. I understanding the top heavy concept, I just don't think Tavares with a weak bottom 6 is enough. I'd be happy to give it a try as it would be great to watch, but I don't think that wins you a cup.

The last 9 teams to win the Stanley Cup had Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Bergeron & Krejci. Is it no coincidence they were all drafted and allowed to develop. Plus all those teams basically sucked in order to succeed. Step up Edmonton and Toronto...

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pws85nyr View Post
    Ok I'm coming around to the idea. I completely get the Pens and Hawks comparison, totally, but he isn't Crosby, Malkin, or Kane etc. We also don't have the farm system or prospects to pad out the bottom 6 sufficiently. I understanding the top heavy concept, I just don't think Tavares with a weak bottom 6 is enough. I'd be happy to give it a try as it would be great to watch, but I don't think that wins you a cup.

The last 9 teams to win the Stanley Cup had Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Bergeron & Krejci. Is it no coincidence they were all drafted and allowed to develop. Plus all those teams basically sucked in order to succeed. Step up Edmonton and Toronto...

Yea, and because JT isn't those guys, he's not a long-term $10m player to me.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that I think the Rangers should go after him. Just that it could work.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Yea, and because JT isn't those guys, he's not a long-term $10m player to me.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that I think the Rangers should go after him. Just that it could work.
    JT isn't what guys ?

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    JT isn't what guys ?

Crosby, Malkin, Kane.

Moderator BSBH Prospect

Is Tavares to the Rangers a Possibility?

Crosby, Malkin, Kane.
    Was just wondering, because there were 7 named.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Again, there's very little I wouldn't do to try to make this work. And I'd be absolutely fine giving him $10 mil if that's the market price. We will NOT get a chance like this again. Franchise players don't walk pretty much 95% of the time. Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Stamkos aren't really good examples because they never hit the UFA, they re-upped with their teams. If Crosby went to the free agency you can bet he's a $12 mil player at LEAST, maybe even $15 mil. He gives you a chance to win a Cup regardless of the rest of your roster.

We don't have top-end forward talent in the system. We're never going to suck enough to get it because we'll never really rebuild. We don't have the assets to get it via trade, and when we try to get it via trade, we get someone on the decline of their career. This is a guy who probably has at least 5 years of top-10 production left in him. We've been desperately searching for that late in a game, down by one goal, who do you look to on the bench to get it done type player. Right now, the answer on this team is: nobody. I don't trust any of them to get it done, and they haven't. JT gives you a shot with a minute left.

I'll say this: I love JT Miller, and hated the idea of trading him even when he was a struggling rookie. But if he gets paid, and there's a deal out there where we can free up salary by dealing him and load up on younger assets in the process, and that gives us the freedom to acquire Tavares, I definitely answer the phone. If we're serious about this win-while-Henrik's-here thing, Tavares, in my opinion, is not only the best chance to do it, he's likely the only chance.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Again, there's very little I wouldn't do to try to make this work. And I'd be absolutely fine giving him $10 mil if that's the market price. We will NOT get a chance like this again. Franchise players don't walk pretty much 95% of the time. Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Stamkos aren't really good examples because they never hit the UFA, they re-upped with their teams. If Crosby went to the free agency you can bet he's a $12 mil player at LEAST, maybe even $15 mil. He gives you a chance to win a Cup regardless of the rest of your roster.

We don't have top-end forward talent in the system. We're never going to suck enough to get it because we'll never really rebuild. We don't have the assets to get it via trade, and when we try to get it via trade, we get someone on the decline of their career. This is a guy who probably has at least 5 years of top-10 production left in him. We've been desperately searching for that late in a game, down by one goal, who do you look to on the bench to get it done type player. Right now, the answer on this team is: nobody. I don't trust any of them to get it done, and they haven't. JT gives you a shot with a minute left.

I'll say this: I love JT Miller, and hated the idea of trading him even when he was a struggling rookie. But if he gets paid, and there's a deal out there where we can free up salary by dealing him and load up on younger assets in the process, and that gives us the freedom to acquire Tavares, I definitely answer the phone. If we're serious about this win-while-Henrik's-here thing, Tavares, in my opinion, is not only the best chance to do it, he's likely the only chance.
    I'm with You on this -- these opportunities don't come around but once in a rare day. I'm nervous it would be a classic Garden move, but at Tavares' age it's worth it.
    We have lost players some of us would have liked to keep but couldn't pay. If the stars align in our favor on this, do it.
    26 going on 27. That works for me if his health and motivation are still there.
    I like Hayes, but moving him makes total sense in this case. As does divesting other overly expensive declining production n-as(h)sets.
    Lias Anderson slots in more comfortably down the lineup behind Tavares and Zibs. if there's a way that doesn't torpedo the future, do it.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234