Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Tavares to the Rangers a Possibility?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by pws85nyr View Post
    Of course it works. You can make anything work. But you have 6 players who currently have never played an NHL game, and 1 that has only made his debut. 4 of them are undrafted FA's that the Rangers are simply taking a punt on. Andersson and Nieves would be the only two IMO that aren't a massive reach to make the roster next year. It works but the lower lines are pretty poor as a result. You are sacrificing balance just to have Tavares. As much as I would love him here, I don't see that team having anywhere near enough forward depth to win a cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Again this is one, two, three seasons down the road.

Lias hasn't played an NHL game. Don't care. weather he makes his debut this year or next, I'm not worried about him.

Bereglazov hasn't played an NHL game yet. Don't care. He has been a pro for a while and will at the very least make his debut this year. No reason to worry about his experience come the 2018-19 season.

Nieves and Letteri I used in there because it was easy since they were signed. You can replace them with veteren minimum guys. Same with the 13th forward and 7th D.

or the spot I have Gropp in. there will be plenty of competition between plenty of players over then next season +. More college FA signing opportunities. More draft picks.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    The value of the Zib trade, is that Zib is 5 years younger, not the cap hit. and Zib had 3 less points than Brassard in 25 less games.

Removal of players is the name of the game though. If you don't go after JT, what's your plan? Use Nash's money to resign Vesey, Hayes, Miller, and Skjei. How does the team get better? As players get older, they get raises. You pick who you think fits into the organization the best, and you trade those that don't. But at some point you need an elite guy to build around. All the talk (not saying you specifically) around here complains about the lack of a legit number 1 center. JT is that guy.
    Value is irrelevant. That's not what this is about. I responded with that because it was a trade that was also important in giving the Rangers much-needed cap room.

Removal of players is an important factor but you can't be overly reliant upon it. In order to actually fit Tavares in short-term and long-term, there's a lot of deconstructing that needs to go on that ultimately isn't worth it. Tavares is an elite player but by bringing him in at the cost it'll take to get him, you're only hurting the team more. If you're not lugging around a contract like Lundqvist's at the same time, I'd be all for it, but you are.

Trading Hayes, Zucc, and Smith over the next three seasons isn't to much deconstruction. You're also getting assets back for them. Those picks and prospects are giving you even more ELC options to fill out your roster with.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    9th in points to me screams "Not going to get $10m." If Ovechkin, Malkin, Benn and Crosby don't get $10m, Tavares isn't. Of guys who have played 400 games since he came into the league, he's 13th in pp/60. Tavares is a great player, but he's going to sign a contract that starts when he's 28 and would take him until he's 35 or 36. He's had back-to-back declining years and never even sniffed a Stanley Cup. Draisaitl is following the trend of GMs paying guys when they're young. Not paying for them when they're 30+.

If Tavares wants $10m a year, then he's going to have to settle for 3-4 years. Most likely, he's going to get ~$9m if he wants a 7 or 8 year deal. Let me ask this - is Claude Giroux a $10m/year player? They're all basically the same player, statistically.

I didn't say bridge Skei.

You're forgetting the fact that, if Tavares is here, Hayes isn't the 2c. If you can keep him, he's the 3c. If you swap Tavares and Hayes, today, this team is absolutely a contender. You have to consider what the team will look like w/ Tavares and he basically changes the complexion of every team in the league.

There are a million reasons why he might not come to the Rangers, but they're enough of a contender that I don't think that would be it.
    Since 2010-2011 (his 2nd season)
    Tavares is 5th in points. Only behind Crosby, Kane, Ovechkin, and Giroux. Only 2 of those players have outperformed him during that span in PPG.

Tavares is going to get paid. I can't remember the last time a player who was a 1st overall, near his quality, and still in his prime years became a UFA. Every report says Islanders are going to offer at LEAST 10 million per season.

Senior Member Junior Division
    JT will definitely get north of $10 Million, and he's not coming to the NYR.
    Can totally see him taking his talents to TB, and play with Stamkos. No state tax!!!!
    I thought Toronto had the upper hand in signing JT but with their stupid contract they gave Marleau and their young players will need to get paid after next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    JT will definitely get north of $10 Million, and he's not coming to the NYR.
    Can totally see him taking his talents to TB, and play with Stamkos. No state tax!!!!
    I thought Toronto had the upper hand in signing JT but with their stupid contract they gave Marleau and their young players will need to get paid after next season.
    Tampa Can't afford him. In two years Kucherov will be making $10+ also...

Moderator Junior Division
    I mean what if we went this route - what teams can afford him at $10m without making drastic changes to their depth and meet the qualification that he would want to play for a contender? Florida? Minnesota? Maybe you could make a good argument for MTL - JT/Drouin and MaxPac/Galchenyuk gives you two really good lines, but you'd have 3 players accounting for $28m.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Tavares is 5th in points. Only behind Crosby, Kane, Ovechkin, and Giroux. Only 2 of those players have outperformed him during that span in PPG.

Tavares is going to get paid. I can't remember the last time a player who was a 1st overall, near his quality, and still in his prime years became a UFA. Every report says Islanders are going to offer at LEAST 10 million per season.
    The Isles have to go WAY high because literally the only thing they can offer him is money.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Tavares is 5th in points.
    Only behind Crosby, Kane, Ovechkin, and Giroux. Only 2 of those players have outperformed him during that span in PPG.

What have you done for me lately, though. In the 20's last two years combined, 27th last year. He better at least get past 70-75 points to prove he still has it. If he's in the 60's again, this whole conversation is moot.

You dont think with Steve Yzerman's shrewd moves that he makes that he would figure it out?
    Kucherov probably wont make $10 million but he'll get a hefty pay raise. When Koucherov is due a new contract, TB has 10+ million coming off the books on D, and could very well start grooming some young D to take Stralman, Coburn, Girardi's spots for the 2019-20 season.

JT will eventually go where he thinks the team has the best chance of winning. Better for the Islanders if they sign him sooner rather than later, if this drags out he'll be a goner and it'll be a fierce battle for his services.

What have you done for me lately, though. In the 20's last two years combined, 27th last year. He better at least get past 70-75 points to prove he still has it. If he's in the 60's again, this whole conversation is moot.
    Gotta take into consideration the stiffs that Tavares has as linemates compared to Crosby, Kane, and Ovechkin.

I mean what if we went this route - what teams can afford him at $10m without making drastic changes to their depth and meet the qualification that he would want to play for a contender? Florida? Minnesota? Maybe you could make a good argument for MTL - JT/Drouin and MaxPac/Galchenyuk gives you two really good lines, but you'd have 3 players accounting for $28m.
    MTL would be tough. Signing JT at 10+ would leave them $8m in cap space with only 16 players signed...

MTL would be tough. Signing JT at 10+ would leave them $8m in cap space with only 16 players signed...
    I know.

I'm just saying the number of teams who can afford the $10m and be a contender is really, really slim.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    They could make deals elsewhere to fit him. But, yeah, it's tight.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

That's the new normal, though, Mike. Chicago and Pittsburgh, albeit to a lesser degree, set that benchmark that other teams are now following. Edmonton. Toronto will be there very soon.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    That's the new normal, though, Mike. Chicago and Pittsburgh, albeit to a lesser degree, set that benchmark that other teams are now following. Edmonton. Toronto will be there very soon.
    What?

The idea of, effectively, loading up on big money contracts for young core talent and filling out the remaining roster with flotsam. The second degree to this is trading successful flotsam when they are due new contracts for future flotsam.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    The idea of, effectively, loading up on big money contracts for young core talent and filling out the remaining roster with flotsam. The second degree to this is trading successful flotsam when they are due new contracts for future flotsam.
    Oh, I know. It's what I said the Rangers could do...others said it wouldn't work because we wouldn't have the depth. It's not me who needs to be convinced that being top-heavy works. It's why, when Drew mentioned what the team would look like, I pointed to the Pens.

For 5-6 years the Rangers' biggest problem has been a lack of top-end talent. There's value in rolling 3 threatening lines, but those teams don't strike fear into anybody, and asking second liners to be your top players has been NY's main problem in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Future; 08-18-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Right. I have no problem going for broke and filling the ranks with whatever warm bodies they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Just because I thought it'd be interesting, went back and looked at where he ranks in points and PPG every year since his first, cumulatively.

09-10: 9th, 537 - 14th, .91
    10-11: 5th, 483 - 9th, .96
    11-12: 6th, 416 - 8th, .98
    12-13: 8th, 335 - 8th, .97
    13-14: 10th, 288 - 8th, .97
    14-15: 6th, 222 - 8th, .94
    15-16: 18th, 136 - 25th, .88
    16-17: 27th, 66 - 26th, .86

Two most recent years have some anomalies for the PPG because I forgot to filter for games played and was too lazy to go back and fix it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast